Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : April Update and April Fool's
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon April Update and April Fool's (0)  
Firstly: Yes, the DROD 1.7 beta was an April Fool's joke. We ended up getting 23 'testers' altogether - Steve*, Homestar*, Mario*, Frank*, Crash*, Vonnifa*, Fox*, Frank*, Edward*, Zidane*, Rono*, Frank*, William III*, Pippin*, Frank*, Kelly*, Marshall*, a baked potato*, Esmerelda*, Tiaan*, Santa*, Ronald McDonald* and Erik* (* names changed to protect the embarrassed, who will all get a little easter egg in consolation).

The screenshot was clumsily photoshopped together from this image Schik found (10 rank points to whoever can credit the image for me):

The feature list, apart from the new monsters and new surprises, which will certainly be in the next version, are all bogus. The new hold will be one cohesive hold, not split up into little missions and joined together via a map. We won't be breaking the game's main idea of 'big guy with sword kills things'. No-one really wants puzzles based round not being able to see. And we've got our own objections to cutscenes barging in on your game when you'd far rather be playing the actual game.

If you visited the forums, you'd notice the subtitle of the April Fool's post was 'For a solid play'. Now what could that be an anagram of? :D

What was interesting was how many people almost screamed at me to add them: "Don't take this a begging, but PLEASE!!! If there is any room left for the Beta testing sign me up!" (an actual e-mail). I'm putting this down to the DROD.net community's fervent waiting for 1.7, something I fairly deliberately tapped into, and that actually been addressed elsewhere. More and more speculation threads are cropping up, and people are trawling to the ends of the earth to see what little tidbit they can find. There's only one thing I really can say to this:

Please, don't.

People are working themsleves into a tizzy over a game that won't be done for months. The Caravel team are keeping quiet over this precisely because we don't want people slavering over every tidbit they can and building up their expectations, which we almost certainly won't match. It's already happened: some people are so focused on the new stuff that they forget everything that's already here, all the holds that need testing, the competitions Erik's running on a monthly basis, and of course DROD.net (I'm perfectly happy to accept anything you want to add, by the way). This is the entire reason we're keeping quiet; so you don't get so focused on what we're doing that you ignore what we've already done.

Now don't go arguing that it's a failed strategy and tell us everything now now NOW! because we still won't. You'll be so disappointed if we do. I mean that.

On a more positive note, I'm preparing another update - I've got a few things up already, like another Architect's Toolkit and Clayton's Beethro Budkin costume (man, I took a long time to get that up), and in a couple of days I'll have a surprise for you as well. (Not a big surprise, but a surprise nevertheless.)

Matt

04-02-2004 at 02:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
icon Re: April Update and April Fool's (+1)  
Man. That's low. there's just so many people who love DROD enough to sign up it's not even funny. I'm one of them, so right now I'm steamed but *ding* now I'm not.

You owe us the REAL beta.

~a baked potato

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
04-02-2004 at 02:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
icon Re: April Update and April Fool's (0)  
Give me a year or so.

Nice try, though. You're getting your easter egg, aren't you?

Matt

04-02-2004 at 02:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
But will we be the real testers when 1.7 does come out? Will that be sort of compensation? :D

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
04-02-2004 at 03:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
If you visited the forums, you'd notice the subtitle of the April Fool's post was 'For a solid play'. Now what could that be an anagram of?
That's weird, I have'nt seen any subtitle.
Did you preview your message?
If so, the description was lost due to the previewing bug (Reminding time, Schik!).

Oh, and that easter egg... I have'nt gotten anything.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
04-02-2004 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
I wonder what the easter egg is....

Click here to view the secret text

04-02-2004 at 07:32 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Nillo wrote:
(Reminding time, Schik!).
Fixed.

04-02-2004 at 07:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Nillo wrote:
Oh, and that easter egg... I have'nt gotten anything.
Patience, young Jedi. Matt's already stuck his hand in the barrel, now he has to figure out what he's pulling out for us. Seriously though, I'm really quite surprised that he got modded to -3 on that post. I never saw that coming.

04-02-2004 at 09:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Mattcrampy wrote:
I've got a few things up already, like another Architect's Toolkit and Clayton's Beethro Budkin costume
I just read the toolkit, and found a problem with it... well, two, but they're related. The single-quotes in the hold names are rendering as ascii codes. Along the same line, my hold is not named after a sandwich :) It's King Reubus' Palace, not King Reuben's Palace

04-02-2004 at 09:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Yes, that was a typo. And also, the other example came out as Latin's Keep. It was supposed to be Katon's Keep.

04-02-2004 at 10:21 PM
Schik
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Yes, that was a typo. And also, the other example came out as Latin's Keep. It was supposed to be Katon's Keep.
Did you phone your Architect's Toolkit in to Matt Cramp with a cell phone getting bad reception? ;)

04-02-2004 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
No. ;)

I don't know why it appeared that way.

04-02-2004 at 10:41 PM
Mattcrampy
Dang it!

I ran a spellcheck on it, and it must have fixed those ones up without telling me.

Matt

04-03-2004 at 03:48 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Mattcrampy wrote:
Dang it!

I ran a spellcheck on it, and it must have fixed those ones up without telling me.
Whoo, boy! I haven't laughed that hard all day.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-03-2004 at 04:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Damn spell check! Stop checking things!

Matt

04-03-2004 at 04:06 AM
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
I've just seen Clayton's cosplay, and I think the only thing I can say about it is:
"Cool! Will fire hydrants be in 1.7?"

04-03-2004 at 03:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
That might be a pretty good idea. I'll make a post on the FR board.

04-03-2004 at 11:12 PM
DiMono
Mattcrampy wrote:
Dang it!

...so are you going to fix the toolkit article?

04-04-2004 at 09:06 PM
Mattcrampy
Should be already fixed.

If not, I'll go fix it immediately.

04-04-2004 at 11:00 PM
DiMono
Is the picture a design screen from The Sims?

On an unrelated note, I've sent Erik my interview questions, so everyone can look forward to Behind the Veil's interview with Erik Hermansen on diabloii.net on Friday, April 23. It's news, and it's in April, so I figure this is as appropriate a place to say this as any.

04-06-2004 at 01:27 AM
DiMono
A friend of mine told me the screenshot is from an upcoming MMO Clue game, but I can't find anything about it online. Is that right?

04-07-2004 at 02:28 PM
Schik
DiMono wrote:
A friend of mine told me the screenshot is from an upcoming MMO Clue game, but I can't find anything about it online. Is that right?
No. It's nothing mainstream.

04-07-2004 at 02:45 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
It must be a screenshot from DROD 2.0, which is under extremely hush hush development and includes all of the aformentioned features.

04-08-2004 at 12:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Well, the version after 1.7 would probably be 1.8, really. So they're working on stuff four versions away? ;)

04-08-2004 at 06:57 PM
Mattcrampy
It's something you can find.

Schik tells me it's from a raytracing list he frequents. That makes me think there's a title and person responsible, so I'd want both so I can properly credit them.

Matt

04-09-2004 at 09:49 AM
Mattcrampy
icon Re: April Update and April Fool's (+2)  
I'm posting twice to inform you all that everyone who fell for the April Fool's Day prank have received their little easter egg - 5 mod points and 2 rank points.

I feel like I'm giving someone a loaded gun and telling them to shoot me. Eep.

Matt

04-11-2004 at 09:55 AM
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
Mattcrampy wrote:
I'm posting twice to inform you all that everyone who fell for the April Fool's Day prank have received their little easter egg - 5 mod points and 2 rank points.

Matt
Heheh, it nearly makes me wish I'd fallen for it.
04-11-2004 at 04:38 PM
joker5
People may be tempted to mod you down but it's really quite foolish. He's rewarding us for our faith. We may have looked stupid but that's part of life. Besides, what's April 1st without a little fun? And before you flame me please consider that I fell for it. I'm a fool, much as my hat implies. But I'm a happy fool.

~joker5

04-11-2004 at 05:56 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
joker5 wrote:
People may be tempted to mod you down but it's really quite foolish. He's rewarding us for our faith. We may have looked stupid but that's part of life. Besides, what's April 1st without a little fun? And before you flame me please consider that I fell for it. I'm a fool, much as my hat implies. But I'm a happy fool.

~joker5
Can I call you Yggaz?

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
04-11-2004 at 06:30 PM
joker5
I'd rather be called "Lord of all creation", or, failing that, "Cliff Johnson". But "Yggaz" or "Moron" will do in a pinch.

~joker5

04-13-2004 at 06:45 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : April Update and April Fool's
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com