Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Annual Awards
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bodkin
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
IP: Logged
icon Annual Awards (+2)  
When the next annual awards are, well, awarded, could there be a new category of Best Easy (easier) Hold. Like Smitemastery 101, that was such a fantastic game, Beethro's Day Off, for being so clever, and, now, Castle Steele. I'm sure Castle Steele will win something for being beautiful, but it is also nice to play. A relaxation rather than a mindbending frustration.

10-19-2008 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Annual Awards (+1)  
From what I can recall, both smitemastery 101 and Beethro's day off did win awards in their respective years. Thanks for the recommendation of Castle Steele. I'm always on the lookout for a good holds.
10-19-2008 at 11:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
icon Re: Annual Awards (0)  
For a second I thought you meant Beethro's Week Off.

Anywho, I gave day off a try and it may have rekindled my DROD addiction.

[Last edited by Snacko at 10-20-2008 02:06 AM]
10-20-2008 at 01:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I've got plans to brazenly barge in and take over host the Fifth Annual People's Choice Awards this year, and will be posting a formal request for nominations next weekend. But before that time, any input on what the categories should be would be great. I'm planning to stick pretty close to the categories Gamer_Extreme_101 used last year, with a few modifications.

Bodkin, last year, there was this category:
Creative Design for Entertainment
This category is open to any published hold that you feel was the most fun to play. A hold eligible for this category would be of medium to low difficulty range, and while it wasn't overly difficult, was entertaining enough to make you want to complete it.
Is this what you meant? Or do you think its description could be rephrased to be what you meant? Elfstone's hold will surely be nominated for the "Technical Design Excellence in Layout and Aesthetics" award as well.

Given the vast increase in versatility of the TCB scripting engine over what was available in JtRH, and the resulting surge in interest in scripting among forum members, I was thinking of splitting the scripting excellence award into two categories. One would be for creating new game elements, used throughout a hold, with scripting. Holds like Fireballs, Salamander, Kolby's Challenge, and others would be eligible in this first category. The other would be using scripting to create individual puzzles or levels. Holds like Choose Your Adventure (in particular the Shapeshifting level), the recently released Cheese's Hodgepodge, the soon-to-be released Under The Mountains, and I think RPG 3.0 fits into this category as well. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Also, since the DROD RPG has been released, and architects are already creating some amazing new holds with it, I'm thinking of adding one award for the Best DROD RPG Hold. This initial category would include both finished holds and works in progress. There's already some tough, tough competition for this one. Next year, we'll surely have more categories for DROD RPG holds.

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 10-20-2008 04:48 AM]
10-20-2008 at 04:47 AM
bodkin
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
Curiously Shy Rabbit, I'm sure any barging will be welcomed; more power to your elbows.

I hadn't realised Creative Design for Entertainment was supposed to be easy. Last year Think Outside The Box by larrymurk won the "Creative Design for Difficulty"; but was also short-listed for "Creative Design for Entertainment".

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=19063&page=0#223385

What do people find entertaining? And what is considered easy to medium difficulty!

10-20-2008 at 08:41 AM
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
The ten brains of confusion strike again! ;)

10-20-2008 at 05:45 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
bodkin wrote:
What do people find entertaining? And what is considered easy to medium difficulty!
I hope these weren't meant to be retorical, because I couldn't resist answering them.

People find entertainment in novel concepts (such as Beethro's day off), polish, lynchpins, story and finding something of appropriate difficulty.

Easy, I would say, is about 4 brains or less. Medium is about 6-7 brains or less.
10-21-2008 at 02:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I've finally posted the formal call for nominations for the Fifth Annual People's Choice Awards here. If nice, easy, relaxing holds are going to go on the ballot, they have to be nominated! If evil, hard, brain-burning holds are going to go on the ballot, they have to be nominated too! I hope you'll participate and nominate your favorite holds this year. Please come check out the categories, and PM me some nominations.
10-28-2008 at 01:07 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Annual Awards
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No