Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : I Ching Room Contest (I Ching! You Ching! We All Ching!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon I Ching Room Contest (+1)  
Are you starting to see a pattern? At the beginning of each month there will be a new contest, and this month is no exception.

So here we have a new contest for people who want to author holds. You make one level based on a random reading from the I Ching. Note that I am neither promoting Taoism here or doing it proper justice. I don't really believe in the applicability of I Ching readings, but I do think they will serve as an interesting basis for creation of DROD rooms. Here is one sample that I generated from http://members.home.nl/hfl/it/iching.htm?eh :

The Judgment
Youthful Folly has success.
It is not I who seek the young fool;
The young fool seeks me.
At the first oracle I inform him.
If he asks two or three times, it is importunity.
If he importunes, I give him no information.
Perseverance furthers.

The Image
A spring wells up at the foot of the mountain:
The image of Youth.
Thus the superior man fosters his character
By thoroughness in all that he does.

So let's see... if I were making a room based on this...

"Youthful Folly has success." - Beethro has to recklessly charge across a room full of queen roaches to reach a point where he can strike a toggling orb ( "the oracle" ) that affords some safety by enclosing the roach queens.

"If he asks two or three times, it is importunity." - It would seem that Beethro could continue using the orb to toggle the doors that enclose the roaches. This would be the conservative strategy, however things are engineered such that using the orb more than once will make it impossible to solve the room. Perhaps there is a roach somewhere that will get stuck on the wrong side of an arrow if you toggle the "oracle" too many times.

"A spring wells up at the foot of the mountain" - I use some tile art to show a big mountain-shaped thing. At the base of it is a tar mother ( "a spring wells up" ).

So you see how it could work then?

Further Rules and Details

Anyone interested in playing should e-mail erikh@caravelgames.com before April 15th. I will e-mail you an I Ching reading from which to base your room. You have to use that reading and can't ask for another one. I'll try to filter out the less useful readings, so don't worry so much about what reading you get. I will only meditate on DROD rooms before consulting the I Ching, so you should not use the reading to solve your life problems. :closedeyes

Holds should contain one level with no more than eight rooms. Eight is enough! It is perfectly fine to just have one room, if you like. I suggest that a level which elegantly depicts the reading with a minimal set of rooms is more pleasing than a level with extra rooms thrown in for more puzzle-solving fun. You should provide some clever interpretation of the reading, and also strive to include good puzzles that will make the hold fun to play.

All holds should be submitted prior to April 15th Midnight PST. Submit your hold by e-mailing the exported .hold file to erikh@caravelgames.com . Avoid sending me anything except your final submission. Holds should be solvable, so be sure to test them before submitting.

We will open the polls pretty soon after that. Voters will be asked to judge both the cleverness of the reading interpretation and the enjoyability of playing through the hold. A more difficult hold is not necessarily better than easier one.

Prizes

The Red Hawk wants runner-up prizes so I'm going to indulge him. First-place winner gets any item of his or her choosing from The DROD Store and 100 rank points. Second and third-place winners, get 50 and 25 rank points, respectively, but no material manifestations of the physical realm. Fourth-place winner gets a nagging sense of self-doubt that subsides when he is around other people.

-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 04-03-2004 at 01:48 AM GMT: Additional comments on submitting holds.]

04-01-2004 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: I Ching Room Contest (0)  
Hmm... The April Fool's joke is in the other thread, so I guess this is real - seems like a cool concept for a contest; I hope I'll have time to participate.

04-01-2004 at 09:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
He assured me it was real in a response email, and went to at least some trouble to get me a decent hexagram, with some really neat puzzle creation potential... Whether my creation will end up any good is another matter, but I'm at least intrigued and excited to try it out, and inspiration is reward enough even if tomorrow he were to post "HAHA! You made holds for no posters!" which is unlikely. Plus I would at least find someone who would be willing to play it, and would get to enhance their life... so fun for me, fun for others, little opportunity for humiliation? This can't be an april fools joke... it can however be: A Cool Contest!

04-01-2004 at 09:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
The contest is real--not a April Fool's joke. Note that I make the same effort with finding a useful reading for all of you, not just our friend, Drizzo. If your reading has some difficult, intangible concepts, consider that a good effort in depicting them will be that much more impressive.

-Erik

04-01-2004 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
I think my email is busted.... I didn't get a response. I'm pretty sure I sent it to you given that I DID save the outgoing message.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
04-01-2004 at 10:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
joker5 wrote:
I think my email is busted.... I didn't get a response. I'm pretty sure I sent it to you given that I DID save the outgoing message.
No problem. I sent you a private message just now with your reading, so check PMs.

After doing that, I checked my spam blocker and, sure enough, there was your e-mail message. So your e-mail is not at fault this time. Also, I retrained my spam blocker so that probably your next message will get through the beyesian maze.

-Erik

04-01-2004 at 10:22 PM
joker5
Maybe Matt's message got the same problem, unless he's asleep, in which case the problem is lack of message being sent. So could you tell him to send my acceptance/rejection/whatever to my pm? Thanks a bundle.

~joker5

04-01-2004 at 10:44 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
"Perseverance" is'nt in my dictionary.
Can somebody tell me what it means?

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
04-02-2004 at 08:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
It's sticking with something come hell or high water. If I'm swinging a wiffle bat at you, and I know that it's not doing anything, but I keep doing it anyway because I think I'll eventually get you to go away or something, I'm persevering.

04-02-2004 at 08:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Quick question... what was the first word of your propecy? I think they might all be the same. Mine is "Holding"...

~joker5

04-02-2004 at 10:16 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
joker5 wrote:
Quick question... what was the first word of your propecy? I think they might all be the same. Mine is "Holding"...

~joker5
Nope, mine does'nt start with Holding.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
04-02-2004 at 10:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Oh. Thank goodness.

~joker5

04-03-2004 at 12:01 AM
Koro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 74
I think that is probably why Erik is dealing them out himself, to avoid repeat entries. If we got them ourselves we might all pick the good ones.

04-03-2004 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Mine starts with "A". It's not a terribly exciting excerpt...

04-03-2004 at 02:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Do we simply send the .hold to Erik to submit it?

~joker5

04-03-2004 at 02:07 AM
ErikH2000
joker5 wrote:
Yes, e-mail your .hold file to erikh@caravelgames.com, but please be fairly certain that this will be your final entry. And your hold definitely should be tested to make sure it is solvable.

-Erik

04-03-2004 at 02:46 AM
DiMono
Should the hold have some explanations attached to it about how the author interpreted different parts of the reading, or should it stand on its own? I've finished the first room of mine, and the interpretation from my excerpt to the room is quite complex, so I'm wondering if it's okay to put a few scrolls in that explain how each part of the room relate to the passage.

04-03-2004 at 06:35 PM
ErikH2000
DiMono wrote:
Should the hold have some explanations attached to it about how the author interpreted different parts of the reading, or should it stand on its own?
However you like. I will point out that we won't have a discussion period like we did for Five-Suite Speaking Grounds contest, so you may wish to rely on scrolls to explain some things.

-Erik

04-03-2004 at 07:32 PM
ErikH2000
With less than a week left before the voting begins, here's a few more comments for people interested in this contest.

Fifteen ( :w00t ) people expressed intent to compete and requested an I Ching reading. Two people have actually sent me holds. My point is not to guilt people into making holds; I'm just saying it is hard to predict how many entries we will have. If I get eight or more holds, I'm going to try a different voting system than the one we've used previously. The "ballot" will be a private e-mail with a score for each hold. I'll explain it in greater detail if we use it.

I plan to post the I Ching reading along with the hold, so if you aren't inclined to repeat the reading in scrolls or level start text, the reading will still be made clear to voters. However, if you choose to explain how your hold relates to the reading, you should do this in your hold and not rely on the forum. We aren't going to have a discussion period, and I would prefer entrants' works to speak for themselves in this contest.

Hmm. I guess the main purpose of this message is to remind our contenders of the upcoming deadline, (April 15th, which reminds me of a less pleasant deadline of my own) and to encourage any latecomers to sign up. You still got four solid days to make a hold, and there are plenty of good readings left.

-Erik

04-11-2004 at 09:17 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
ErikH2000 wrote:
joker5 wrote:
Yes, e-mail your .hold file to erikh@caravelgames.com, but please be fairly certain that this will be your final entry. And your hold definitely should be tested to make sure it is solvable.

-Erik
Oops - I sent it to your old Yahoo address. Is this alright, and do you still accept e-mails sent to it?

04-12-2004 at 12:24 AM
ErikH2000
agaricus5 wrote:
Oops - I sent it to your old Yahoo address. Is this alright, and do you still accept e-mails sent to it?
That's fine. Erikh@caravelgames.com just redirects to the yahoo.com address. I've started passing out the "caravelgames.com" addy because it's the one I intend to keep over the long term. Yahoo is always doing something to irritate me, so who knows how long I'll keep my account with them.

-Erik

04-12-2004 at 02:02 AM
Koro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 74
Does midnight on the 15th PST mean one minute after 11:59 PM on the 14th or the 15th?

04-13-2004 at 05:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
I meant the minute after 11:59pm April 15th.

-Erik

04-13-2004 at 06:01 AM
DiMono
icon Re: I Ching Room Contest (-1)  
Remember everyone, the cutoff date for submissions is only 18 hours away, so get your holds in!

Heh, I like usurping power.

04-14-2004 at 02:07 PM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
icon Re: I Ching Room Contest (+1)  
DiMono wrote:
Remember everyone, the cutoff date for submissions is only 18 hours away, so get your holds in!

Heh, I like usurping power.

Huh? By my calculations, there's still nearly 40 hours left. Right now the time in PST is slightly past 8 o'clock a.m., 14th of April, and the cutoff time is midnight between the 15th and 16th of April.

04-14-2004 at 04:13 PM
DiMono
icon Re: I Ching Room Contest (-1)  
I know, I was trying to make people panic by forgetting how many hours there are in a day. Seriously, if we all went by military time there wouldn't be this confusing AM vs PM issue... say, would that make for a good comic book?

Edit: wow, someone can't take a joke

[Edited by DiMono on 04-14-2004 at 04:02 PM GMT]

04-14-2004 at 04:23 PM
ErikH2000
In the future I'm going to find a less confusing way to specify deadlines. Watcher has interpreted everything correctly. I am at the beginning of April 14th. From my perspective, you guys got most of today and all of tomorrow--a little less than 40 hours.

-Erik

04-14-2004 at 04:25 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: I Ching Room Contest (+2)  
Several other contest-holding people I know always end contests at 10:00 PM for this reason - it's far less ambiguous.+

04-14-2004 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : I Ching Room Contest (I Ching! You Ching! We All Ching!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com