Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Attachment filenames
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon Attachment filenames (+1)  
I just tried to attach a JPG to a H&S thread. I kept getting the message posted without the attachment...and I even logged in using IE and it didn't work. Finally I wondered if it was because I had an apostrophe in the filename. Sure enough, when I took it out, the file was attached. I assume there are other symbols that prevent you from attaching a file as well.

Note that I originally did forget to attach the file and had to edit it in later, and I wondered if no one's noticed this before (unless my search-fu is poor) because it was an issue only with editing an attachment in. But I just tested with this thread and I couldn't attach the file even on the original post.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 10-10-2008 10:37 PM]
10-10-2008 at 10:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
icon Re: Attachment filenames (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
I assume there are other symbols that prevent you from attaching a file as well.

Let's find out!

*attached*

EDIT 2: Disregard that, I accidentally switched comma and apostrophe. Move along.

EDIT 3: I tried out every symbol on my keyboard, and only apostrophe triggers it. I assume this might have something to do with javascript and somebody not escaping them.
As as long as you keep your filenames sane, nothing else triggers it.

EDIT 4: Heh, it escapes the filename to HTML hex codes. I think this is my browser though. (EDIT 5: Yep, Firefox escapes to HTML and Opera turns it into question marks, which firefox then turns into _'s when downloading because filenames can't contain question marks. Nifty)

Final Edit: Other than learning a few interesting things about Opera, I've pretty much established that this only occurs for apostrophes. Meanwhile, use · or ` or ´ as needed.

[Last edited by Insane at 10-11-2008 12:09 AM]
10-10-2008 at 11:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Attachment filenames (+1)  
Insane wrote:
Final Edit: Other than learning a few interesting things about Opera, I've pretty much established that this only occurs for apostrophes. Meanwhile, use · or ` or ´ as needed.
I'm pretty sure that's because SQL statements use apostrophes to quote strings. Which of course doesn't automatically mean that you can't use apostrophes - you'll just have to escape them first or (which I think is usually the better solution) use prepared SQL statements where you don't have to paste together an SQL statement at all...

np: Deadbeat - A Joyful Noise (Part II) (Something Borrowed, Something Blue)

10-10-2008 at 11:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insane

File: really.png (35.7 KB)
Downloaded 188 times.
License: Public Domain
Gives me ideas..

Click here to view the secret text

EDIT: Oh and I didn't think of SQL because I thought SQL would have apostrophes be escaped by default, this would be the first time I've seen it *not* being escaped.

I naturally thought of javascript due to something of similar nature happening with javascript before.

[Last edited by Insane at 10-11-2008 12:15 AM]
10-11-2008 at 12:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I love that you actually have a folder called "Crap".

Mine is called "Recycle Bin".

10-11-2008 at 12:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insane
:glare
10-11-2008 at 12:32 AM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Insane wrote:
Gives me ideas..

http://xkcd.com/327/ seems relevant.
10-11-2008 at 11:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Attachment filenames
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com