Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Abel's Hold (Serpents and tar in classical style)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.2/10 (25 votes)
σ 1.68
Author Name:Pekka
Submitted By:Pekka
Hold Name:Abel's Hold
Theme:Serpents and tar in classical style
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:2
Number of Rooms:20
Number of Monsters:115
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:5 (+5 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Abels_Hold.hold (8.4 KB)
Downloaded 1069 times.
License: Other
icon Abel's Hold  
This hold has two levels of moderate difficulty. The first one involves serpents and the second one is mostly about tar. To help me get started as an architect, I limited myself to the elements already found in Architect's Edition when making this hold.

I've aimed at making the rooms fun and fairly straightforward, without always pushing the difficulty as high as I could have. If this hold brings back some good memories of KDD and other classic holds, I have done quite well.
10-07-2008 at 11:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1299
icon Re: Abel's Hold (+1)  
I'm loving it right now. The only thing missing is the music. I'll rate it when I'm done. (I've beat the first level at this point).

Edit:
Conquered! I must say that I loved this hold. 7.5 difficulty, 9 fun.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 10-08-2008 04:38 AM]
10-08-2008 at 12:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
As someone who has finished the hold, I'll say that Pekka has produced a short yet sweet hold here. The puzzles here are not too difficult, but many of them have a lynchpin that makes solving them more possible.

Optimization is also greatly encouraged, as room solutions have plenty of slack and there are many ways to save moves. I was slightly disappointed that Pekka didn't take advantage of even AE's feature of unrequired rooms that do not have to be solved in order to complete the level, but this is a minor gripe from someone who is used to mastering holds and not merely conquering them.

Great job Pekka :)

10-09-2008 at 01:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
This hold is a rarity - it uses AE elements only, but is informed by everything learned about good puzzle design in the intervening years. Instead of the old standbys of orb puzzles and horde management, monsters are used with precision as tools for control of snakes and tar. I particularly enjoyed Tar Gloop: 2N and the pairing of Snaky Serpents: 2N1W and Tar Gloop: 1N. The AE focus does make the hold feel somewhat spartan in places, but it's nonetheless nice to see that good puzzles can still be made with the old elements. Nicely done, and I look forward to seeing what Pekka can do with the full set of elements!

[Last edited by Dischorran at 10-10-2008 08:03 AM]
10-10-2008 at 07:43 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
Ditto what others said.

I especially liked the goop level. Very nice puzzles!
10-15-2008 at 02:36 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Interesting! Fun! Difficult!

An exellent hold. Especially I'm impressed that it uses only AE monsters. It's very unique hold!

6 brains and 8 fun.

:thumbsup
10-27-2008 at 04:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Parse
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
I'll echo everyone else's comments on this hold. Great 'lynchpin puzzles - that each room was designed around a certain specific trick, rather than throwing hordes of monsters at you. Even then, when you figure out the trick for the room, it's a good challenge to actually *complete* the room - there aren't any truly superfluous monsters here.
It's definitely not for beginners, as I used my Advanced Concepts knowledge of movement order/preference and snake movement for a couple of different. That isn't a *bad* thing, though - just a comment. I'd take a hold like this any day of the week.

My personal favorite rooms are Tar Gloop 1S1W, Tar Gloop 1N1W, and Serpents 2E. Each has a clever solution which goes against the assumptions I had on entering them.

It's a relatively lightweight hold at 20 rooms, but what really shines here is the quality of the puzzles. I look forward to any future holds from Pekka. Bravo!

11-06-2008 at 05:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Well, I mainly played it to be abel (pun indented) to help with it on the H&S board, but it was a nice experience - I'd have optimized a bit more if I hadn't had that nagging weather-related headache for half a day now...

I voted 5.5 brains and 8 funs. ;)

np: Joy Division - Twenty Four Hours (Closer)

02-07-2009 at 09:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
icon Re: Abel's Hold (0)  
This message has been retracted, because (goshdarnit), I will probably be making another hold sooner or later. My apologies for writing false statements & leading people astray.

[Last edited by Pekka at 08-13-2009 07:44 PM : retraction]
02-18-2009 at 03:00 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
I enjoyed playing this hold. I thought that the Tar Gloop level was extremely interesting, with some well-designed puzzles. I didn't care as much for the serpent level, but it was still good.

8 brains of fun, 6.5 difficulty.

[EDIT: 8 brains of fun? Gotta stop posting sleep-deprived, I guess. Fun: 8. Hard: 6.5. You get the point.]

[Last edited by jbluestein at 09-22-2009 03:22 PM]
09-22-2009 at 03:21 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Abel's Hold (Serpents and tar in classical style) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com