Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Cannot get original DROD music working...
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
MartinB
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Cannot get original DROD music working... (0)  
Hi everyone!

I've been playing DROD a lot again recently, but I wanted to hear the music from the original DROD instead of the new music... I've downloaded the files from the website and put all of the *.mi_ files in /opt/drod/bin/Music/ and put the drod.ini file in /opt/drod/bin/Data/, however, I no longer hear any music in the game.

The terminal is showing the following error several times:

DROD:Assertion error in line 402 of ../../FrontEndLib/Sound.cpp: "Failed to load song.(2)"

I've made sure that my soundfonts are loaded and I can play MIDI files using pmidi just fine, however, the *.mi_ files cannot be played using pmidi. I get an error saying that it is probably not a real midi file (My understanding is that the original DROD music are midi files - At least, I seem to remember being able to play them externally from the game).

I'm running Gentoo Linux with ALSA compiled into the kernel. The drod version is drod-bin-1.6.5...

Anyone got any ideas of what I might be doing wrong?

Cheers,
Martin
04-01-2004 at 02:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Cannot get original DROD music working... (0)  
You need to change the file endings from *.mi_ to *.mid. Then they should play.

04-01-2004 at 02:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Changing the extensions from .mi_ to .mid will also necessitate changing the drod.ini file accordingly, or it will be looking for files that don't exist, as the .ini file looks specifically for .mi_

04-01-2004 at 05:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
You shouldn't have to rename any files in the ini or otherwise (DROD automagically looks for both protected and unprotected files), but unfortunately FMOD doesn't support playing midi files in Linux at all. :( (I've posted in their forum about this.)

The midi files won't play in any normal midi player because they've been protected, so they'll only be usable with DROD. I'll have to discuss this with Erik, but we may be able to give you unprotected ones, or I could maybe hack pmidi to play the protected files. (Either way you'd have to control the playback yourself, of course.)

- Gerry
04-01-2004 at 05:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
I don't think you should rename *.mi_ to *.mid. The underscore is DROD's clue that the files are stored in a certain format that needs decryption. MartinB, maybe you just need to edit your DROD.INI file to make sure the songs all point to new filenames.

-Erik

04-01-2004 at 05:31 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Actually, since linux is a case-sensitive OS, could the problem be that the files have their first letters capitalized, but drod.ini doesn't?

04-01-2004 at 05:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
trick wrote:
I'll have to discuss this with Erik, but we may be able to give you unprotected ones, or I could maybe hack pmidi to play the protected files.
No, we probably shouldn't do either of those things. Lars only wanted DROD players to have the music, and encrypting the MIDs in a DROD-specific way is the technical solution we came up with.

-Erik

04-01-2004 at 05:54 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
ErikH2000 wrote:
No, we probably shouldn't do either of those things. Lars only wanted DROD players to have the music, and encrypting the MIDs in a DROD-specific way is the technical solution we came up with.
Oh, okay.

By the way, I just got a reply from the author of FMOD, saying midi in Linux will be supported in FMOD 4. (That will probably break all kinds of compatibility though, so I don't know how big the chance is of it being used in DROD.)

- Gerry
04-01-2004 at 06:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Cannot get original DROD music working...
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com