Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Low HP not reset (stats reset in Tendry's Tale)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
t_z
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
IP: Logged
icon Low HP not reset (+1)  
At the start of the second half of Tendry's Tale,
Click here to view the secret text
At this point, all stats are intentionally reset. The problem is, if Tendry has < 500 HP, the HP will not be set to 500, but retain its lower value. This can make the game more difficult or even impossible to complete.

I think the HP should always be set to 500 at this point. Could this be considered in a patch?

[Last edited by t_z at 09-30-2008 03:39 AM : rephrase]
09-29-2008 at 10:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
slimm tom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1228
icon Re: Low HP not reset (0)  
I second this. I've got there twice with about 100 HP left and I found it was difficult to move on from there.
09-29-2008 at 06:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Wait...so we're talking about changing a level so that it gives you more HP if you're in a situation where the game is difficult or impossible to complete from that point? Where else does the game do that? Essentially, strategizing to avoid situations like this is what the game is all about. I don't see a need to change this here while this mechanic (i.e. being able to get stuck) remains in place everywhere else in the game.

Also, why wouldn't you just (re)start the game from Rule 1 and take the path to Part II if you want more HP in Homeland?

My current intention is to leave this as-is.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-30-2008 04:54 PM]
09-30-2008 at 04:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
mrimer wrote:
Wait...so we're talking about changing a level so that it gives you more HP if you're in a situation where the game is difficult or impossible to complete from that point? Where else does the game do that? Essentially, strategizing to avoid situations like this is what the game is all about. I don't see a need to change this here while this mechanic (i.e. being able to get stuck) remains in place everywhere else in the game.

I think that what makes this situation unique is the fact that the break between the two parts is essentially a reset. There is no other place in the game where your ATK and DEF scores go down, either.

The reasoning is - "this is a place where scores are set to arbitrary values, and it would be more internally consistent if they did that with no reference to the original values".

If it were up to me, I would change it, but only if you're making independently motivated changes to the hold file anyway. Otherwise, I'd leave it as is.

Also, why wouldn't you just (re)start the game from Rule 1 and take the path to Part II if you want more HP in Homeland?

This is a good workaround, but it may not be apparent to novice players who are more likely to run into this problem that more experienced players.

09-30-2008 at 05:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
icon Re: Low HP not reset (+1)  
mrimer wrote:

My current intention is to leave this as-is.

As eytanz said right before me, we're talking about making this existing reset point flawlessly consistent. If there's a point where you're resetting the player's stats, the stats should be fully reset. And being able to restart the game and take the shortcut path means to me that you should definitely reset the HP even if it's below 500, but don't bother publishing this change by itself.

09-30-2008 at 06:01 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I would like to see this changed too. From a personal experience, I noticed the jump to the second half on level 1, and the first time I reached the second half 'the long way' I didn't have enough HP to survive 2 simple roaches. I felt like the level skip was 'cheating' or would lose some part of the ending having only played half the game.

I didn't realise > 500 was reduced to 500.. if it hadn't been, I would have been happy leaving it as is, since then the better you do on the first half, the better positioned you are. As it is, if you're being restricted to 500, I think its better that happens for all people..
10-01-2008 at 01:53 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Low HP not reset (+1)  
All right. I'll change this along with a slew of other tweaks that ought to be made to the official hold for flawlessly consistent consistency.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-01-2008 at 02:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mechadragon
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
mrimer wrote:
All right. I'll change this along with a slew of other tweaks that ought to be made to the official hold for flawlessly consistent consistency.
Don't forget the redundant redundancy. :)
10-01-2008 at 04:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Low HP not reset (stats reset in Tendry's Tale)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com