Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How long did it take to beat DROD (How long did it take you to beat Drod?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
How long did it take you to beat Drod?
Less than a day
1 Day to 1 Week
1 Week To 1 Months
2 to 3 Months
4 to 6 Months
7 to 9 Months
10 to 12 Months
1 Year +
I haven't beat Drod Yet
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
dividendD
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 44
IP: Logged
icon How long did it take to beat DROD (0)  
Just a thought....
03-31-2004 at 11:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
icon Re: How long did it take to beat DROD (0)  
Way over one year, and slightly less than 3 days... I stopped Webfoot because of Level 17, 1n2w (no checkpoints make that room a nightmare of exacting typing) and a computer crash that forced me to start over (for the 2nd time... the first was on level 15 I believe)... Had I known that
Click here to view the secret text
I may very well have started over and been able to beat the game shortly thereafter. I am glad I didn't, because I happened to be browsing Underdogs and said to myself "Architect's Edition?!? Sounds freakin' awesome!" and as I had nothing better to do at the time, I didn't leave the house or do much of anything except play, sleep, and eat pizza for the next 70 hours or so and beat the whole game in one marathon session. I might not have stumbled across this forum and the user-created holds if I had beaten it before, and would probably have been disappointed by the original ending, although the amazing feeling of victory would still not have been diminished, but the laughter at new ending was all that much sweeter given all the hard work, and delirium induced by 3 days of nothing but DROD... Wish I hadn't skipped level 5 to avoid the long walk to a room I'd missed on level 4, having to go back and replay 5 to see the ending at the tail end of that session, being used to brained movement was a nightmare, and somewhat anticlimactic...

BTW I remember someone saying they had screenshots of the original ending, or that they were hidden somewhere on the site... if someone could PM me with a hint as to their location, or just attach the images to the PM I'd be feelin' pretty peachy.

04-01-2004 at 12:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
Do you mean actual time spent on the computer, or from when you started to when you finished?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
04-01-2004 at 12:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
I think it is pretty obvious that he meant when you started to when you finished, as you'd have had to play some 3 1/2 hours a day or so since the game came out to have actually played a year on the computer... and if it took you that long to beat DROD, then you probably don't have the intellect to select an option on the poll... or have some sort of nerve damage that makes it very time consuming to enter your moves... Plus I think DROD should be honored for frustrating people so much that they give up for months at a time, yet being so addictive that folks come back just to prove they're better than the game. Honored how, you say? by selecting that Over One Year button, of course =)

04-01-2004 at 12:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Then what's the "less than a day" option for? I don't think I could do it within a day even now.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
04-01-2004 at 12:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
I think it's to cover all the bases, and to act as an honesty test... although it wouldn't surprise me if there's someone out there with a REALLY REALLY sharp mind, and quite fleet and accurate fingers that might be able to do it in the space of 24 hours... They probably occupy themselves with more interesting things, like quantum physics, or immortality serum though... I managed it in about 48 hours of actual play after a break of over a year, and I certainly am not the smartest or most swift of players, it's not inconceivable that that time could be cut in half at all..

04-01-2004 at 01:49 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
must... resist... urge... for marathon DROD...

I had to select more than a year, because school and a Diablo addiction were intervening with my life. I'd play a level, go do other things for a month, play another couple levels, spend 3 months lost in battle.net, etc. I don't know what the actual number of hours spent was, but I beat Caravel in 3 days after I got it, having beaten Webfoot many times previously.

04-01-2004 at 03:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
swann_88
Rank Points: 87
overall I probably averaged 1 completed room per day for the number of days I played

04-03-2004 at 09:35 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: How long did it take to beat DROD (+1)  
Drizzo wrote:
BTW I remember someone saying they had screenshots of the original ending, or that they were hidden somewhere on the site... if someone could PM me with a hint as to their location, or just attach the images to the PM I'd be feelin' pretty peachy.
The thread you are looking for is this one:

http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=1934

However, the file is also re-attached to this post (Apologies for putting this up on the forum twice).

Edit by Schik:
The link to download the file (copied from the other topic) is http://www.drod.net/forum/getattachment.php?id=563 .

[Edited by Schik on 04-04-2004 at 02:53 AM GMT]

04-03-2004 at 09:52 PM
Drizzo
Thank you... that is highly amusing :)

04-03-2004 at 10:47 PM
butsam
Rank Points: 114
It took me about 11 months...averaged about two rooms per day, but I did a lot more over the summer while school wasn't in, and of course the first 4 levels went pretty fast. In game time, I'd have to say around 200 hours or so? That sounds like a good estimate.

Sam
04-05-2004 at 04:34 AM
Sim
Rank Points: 90
About 4-6 months, which includes school and other distractions. The longest freeware game I've played, and probably the most fun and polished too.
04-16-2004 at 01:36 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How long did it take to beat DROD (How long did it take you to beat Drod?) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com