Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Auto-scoring at hold end
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Auto-scoring at hold end (+1)  
This came up on the HA board - a hold was submitted with no scoring checkpoints. Which means that there is no incentive to optimize, or, for that matter, less incentive to get Caravelnet.

I suggest that all holds automatically send a score on hold completion.

(Note: I originally, stupidly, posted this in the other Feature Request board, reposting here)

09-22-2008 at 09:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: Auto-scoring at hold end (0)  
In the original thread, CuriousShyRabbit said:

I like the idea that people playing for highscores on CaravelNet should get "credit" for every hold they complete. :)

(My apologies for killing her original post when I deleted that thread)

09-22-2008 at 09:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
eytanz wrote:
[OT]Just wondering - but why didn't you just move the other topic here instead of deleting it? And then delete this topic instead?[/OT]

09-22-2008 at 09:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Let me play the Devil's Advocate here.

1) We already have holds that ends with a score checkpoint. Are you suggesting that we have 2 of those after each other?

2) Are you suggesting that one or more score checkpoints are created for all of the trivial endings of a hold? If they use the same checkpoint, wouldn't that look strange? And if they all use different scorepoints, wouldn't that make lots of unnecesary trivial exits?

(That being said, I like the idea, and think that a general "Hold Complete" checkpoint would be nice.")

09-22-2008 at 10:01 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
My first feeling is that I don't think there should necessarily be a scorepoint at the hold's end. Maybe remind the architect on submission that there are no scorepoints, but it shouldn't be a requirement. A hold with a very tight path through will have little or no variation in the final score. That is boring.

However it should be marked somehow on CaravelNet that the hold has been completed. *cough cough dejavu rpg3.0* Give some points for conquerage. (That could be redacted into DROD original)
09-22-2008 at 11:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Briareos wrote:
eytanz wrote:
[OT]Just wondering - but why didn't you just move the other topic here instead of deleting it? And then delete this topic instead?[/OT]

Because I don't know how to do that...

09-22-2008 at 01:12 PM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Rabscuttle wrote:
My first feeling is that I don't think there should necessarily be a scorepoint at the hold's end. Maybe remind the architect on submission that there are no scorepoints, but it shouldn't be a requirement. A hold with a very tight path through will have little or no variation in the final score. That is boring.

For a easy but tight hold, sure. If I've just struggled through a maze which has dozens of monsters and only one (non-obvious) solution, I think I'd rather like it acknowledged even if my score ends up being the same as everyone else who prevailed.

Would you want high scores disabled on a long, perfectly tight timer room in original DROD just because everyone will finish with exactly 345 moves, or not at all?

Having a scorepoint would be ideal, but I don't think it should be hardwired to any particular point (the end of hold could come after a trivial epilogue using a diffrent character with their own seperate stats).

Warning architects they've neglected to add a scorepoint but not forcing them to add one, and telling players if a hold has no scorepoints (in the holds thread? in the ingame listing? not sure where would be best) is probably the best solution to this.

09-23-2008 at 04:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
If this is something players generally want by convention or policy, I say that for holds to be published, they must contain at least one score point, preferably at or around the end of the hold as appropriate if nowhere else.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-25-2008 at 04:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Auto-scoring at hold end
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com