Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Juice on v. 1.7?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
butsam
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 114
IP: Logged
icon The Juice on v. 1.7? (0)  
Does anyone have the juicy tidbits on what will be included in v. 1.7? Will there be an official new or sequel hold? What features will be added?

Sam
03-29-2004 at 04:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: The Juice on v. 1.7? (+1)  
Yes, there will be a new hold called "Journey to Rooted Hold". The major details of what you would like to know are in the "Spying on Caravel" thread.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
03-29-2004 at 05:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: The Juice on v. 1.7? (0)  
Disclaimer: The Caravel team isn't telling us what is or is not in 1.7, they're just dropping ideas that might be included. Take everything in the Spying on Caravel thread with the view of "hey, it would be neat if that were in the game," as opposed to "that's in the game? COOL!"

03-29-2004 at 06:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Well, there are some things that we know for sure:

- There will be a new hold, called Journey to Rooted Hold, as Hawk mentioned.
- There will be new graphics.
- There will be new music.
- There will be new game features (monsters, obstacles, etc.).

What isn't officially known, and may well be still undecided, is what the new features will be, what the new graphics will look like, what the new music will sound like, and whether Journey to Rooted Hold will just be a series of big, level-13 like, maze levels with no monsters in them at all.

[Edited by eytanz on 03-29-2004 at 09:21 PM GMT]

03-29-2004 at 06:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
Rank Points: 179
The most accurate thread, with the most concrete information right now, is Ridiculous Speculation which has already caused quite a few thug beatings for people who "know too much"

03-29-2004 at 08:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
No, that thread was just completely jokes, and none of it was real. It's the "Spying on Caravel" thread and a couple of others.

03-29-2004 at 09:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
Because "Ridiculous Speculation" isn't enough of a tipoff on its own, even before one actually reads the posts... Thanks for being on top of the warnings and saving him from... from... maybe a chuckle?

Not responsible for the mod down, BTW

03-29-2004 at 09:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
butsam
Rank Points: 114
Thank you all :) Just knowing that there will be a new hold is juicy enough to whet my appetite!

Sam
03-30-2004 at 01:21 PM
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
Nobody's mentioned that Rooted Hold's going to cost money. And poor Butsam may still be thinking he's going to get it for free...

03-31-2004 at 07:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
But the new version of DROD will be completely free, remember. And, if I remember correctly, there will be a small free hold released for 1.7.

03-31-2004 at 09:21 PM
DiMono
I don't remember reading that anywhere, but it sounds like something reasonable.

03-31-2004 at 09:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
It would be foolish not to have the first few levels of JtRH free, or something of the sort... otherwise you'll only have the few hundred dedicated DROD fanatics buying it... With a taste though, you could have... Several hundred? Hey Erik, do you have any idea how many registered copies of Webfoot were actually bought? I'd be interested in knowing if you're willing to share, I know most shareware doesn't get half the registrations it deserves... and DROD deserves so much it couldn't have gotten 10%. I would have probably paid for it, or at least wanted to (depends if it cut me off before the level that really hooked me) but by the time I found it Underdogs was pirating it... I'll pre-order JtRH though, the anticipation is killing me... What is the prospective timeline anyway? 6 months? or we talking years still? I guess probably you folks don't want to answer that question, seeing as it can only lead to problems, but I'm also curious about that... not as curious as about the registrations. I wrote a shareware game, kinda asteroidsish, back when I was in middle school and had a tutor teaching me how to program C++... it was quite bad, but I offered people to get SB support for 5$, I got one check, many months later, realized I had asked people to write the check to "Orb Wars" instead of my name, so I couldn't cash it... not that I would have, it was cooler to have the check than 5$... They never got their SB support though, which I felt kinda bad about, but it was crappily done anyway, just some Schwarzenegger samples when you blew up some few things, stopped time when it happened... but it pleased me, because I was 11... anyway, I'll stop being off topic.

03-31-2004 at 11:39 PM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
Drizzo wrote:
What is the prospective timeline anyway? 6 months? or we talking years still?
I think it'll be finished when it's done, approximately. But hey, in the mean time you can play some Duke Nukem Forever.

I guess probably you folks don't want to answer that question, seeing as it can only lead to problems, but I'm also curious about that... not as curious as about the registrations. I wrote a shareware game, kinda asteroidsish, back when I was in middle school and had a tutor teaching me how to program C++... it was quite bad, but I offered people to get SB support for 5$, I got one check, many months later, realized I had asked people to write the check to "Orb Wars" instead of my name, so I couldn't cash it... not that I would have, it was cooler to have the check than 5$... They never got their SB support though, which I felt kinda bad about, but it was crappily done anyway, just some Schwarzenegger samples when you blew up some few things, stopped time when it happened... but it pleased me, because I was 11... anyway, I'll stop being off topic.
This little story reminded me of when I was ~12, and my data teacher paid me to teach him DOS (my bat files impressed him :P ). Funny thing is, what I knew about DOS I had teached myself on the school's 286's (didn't have anything like that at home, of course).

To tell the truth, I preferred the C64.

- Gerry

[Edited by trick on 03-31-2004 at 10:56 PM GMT]
03-31-2004 at 11:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Just to clarify, Underdogs wasn't pirating DROD, at the time it was considered Abandonware. Upon request, they now redirect users to drod.net for the current Caravel DROD.

For those interested, abandonware is software that the manufacturers no longer try to get profit out of; they have abandoned it. When the developers no longer care about the game getting them money, websites pick up on that fact and distribute it as abandonware, and most of those sites will drop the game from their download list if the developer kicks up a fuss. Underdogs is very good about that.

04-01-2004 at 03:23 AM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
I agree. I came in too late again, but Underdogs is not a pirate site; otherwise it'd get taken down in a second. Do you have ANY idea, in gigabytes, how much raw data is stored on their servers?

Try way > 100.

Furthermore, they repeatedly state things to the tune of "IF THIS PISSES YOU OFF FOR WHATEVER REASON MAIL US AND WE'LL FIX IT PRONTO. These games are on this site because their copyright has expired, they're too old to be selling much more than 10 copies a month on EBay, and/or their owner is defunct."

Sorry about that but The Underdogs kicks ass. All of my family support it, we all donate, and they have brought many smiles to my lips and tears to my eyes with the obscene amount of memories simply downloading and playing a REALLY classic game like "Lords of Magic" can unleash upon me.

I was pwnzing that game on the 2nd highest difficulty when I was 5, BTW. ;)

</mood swings>

I'm usually more stable than that... better go lie down.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
04-01-2004 at 03:30 AM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
I'm not going to say I've never downloaded any "abandonware", but.....

Abandonware is not a legal term - it's a term created to try to justify or trivialize distributing older software illegally. People get away with it because the companies whose software they're distributing either don't know or don't care.

Saying things like "We'll remove your software if you ask us to" doesn't make it legal. Just like saying "You can only download this if you legally own a copy of it, i.e. this is just for backup purposes" doesn't make it legal either. Copyrights don't expire for a very long time, so unless they have permission from the owner of the copyright on the software, or it's been placed in the public domain, it is illegal to distribute it.

04-01-2004 at 03:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Drizzo
I have mad respect for the underdogs, and consider it hands down the #1 hardcore gamers sit on the net.
no competition.
They try and balance good ethics with respect for gamer's needs, and although some of the work may be in the shady realm of legality, they do good things for the gaming world... and I imagine after DROD entered the hall of belated fame, Webfoot found themselves getting a registration fee or two paid, probably not many, but perhaps more than they would have if the game went entirely forgotten. Still, if someone were actively distributing the shareware version, they probably would have gotten a lot more... it's a shame it was forgotten for so long, but good to see it resurrected...
anyway, much love to The Underdogs and I'm gonna go DL Lords of Magic now, because that game is so unbelievably good, and I cannot believe that I don't have it already... thanks Joker

04-01-2004 at 06:14 AM
Koro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 74
Kind of off topic to the current substance of the thread, but on topic to the title of the thread is: why are they calling it DROD 1.7? From what I've read in spying on Caravel, other applicable threads, the article on the main site, and now the News thread about the beta, this seems more like a sequel, not an upgrade. Why isn't it 2.0?

04-01-2004 at 11:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Dugan's is still included, while still using the same dungeon elements. Just like Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction introduced new elements that only appeared in the act the expansion added, JtRH is the only place you'll see the new elements until user-made holds start emerging.

That said, I actually agree that 2.0 might be more appropriate :)

04-02-2004 at 03:22 AM
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
So do I. By that reasoning, the patch we're currently using should be called DROD 1.7, and the next 1.8.

04-03-2004 at 12:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
asmussen
Rank Points: 188
Abandonware is not a legal term - it's a term created to try to justify or trivialize distributing older software illegally. People get away with it because the companies whose software they're distributing either don't know or don't care.

Saying things like "We'll remove your software if you ask us to" doesn't make it legal. Just like saying "You can only download this if you legally own a copy of it, i.e. this is just for backup purposes" doesn't make it legal either. Copyrights don't expire for a very long time, so unless they have permission from the owner of the copyright on the software, or it's been placed in the public domain, it is illegal to distribute it.

Although you're right about it not being legal, I think that most people are far more concerned over whether it is right or wrong than whether it is legal or illegal. As long as people feel that Underdog isn't morally wrong (And with their policy of cooperation with copywrite holders, I think that most people feel that it is not), I don't think that the average user cares if they are technically breaking the law unless they are in danger of being sued.

Shawn Asmussen

04-05-2004 at 11:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Juice on v. 1.7?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com