Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Neather
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
underscorpion
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
IP: Logged
icon Neather (+1)  
Hi.
While I was looking for this bug, I catched another one.
The Neather in editor looks like Halph (wonder why? :)) and in game too, but if you click right mouse button on him: http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/5968/neathercc7.png
Look at Neather graphic and look at his parameters on left - his graphic is citizen 1/2/3/4. ;)

-=Sorry for my English :P=-
09-15-2008 at 08:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
slimm tom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1228
icon Re: Neather (0)  
The neather is actually a word for 'all that lives beneath' and not necessarily the Neather from KDD.
09-15-2008 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
Still, the info box is inconsistent. :|

09-15-2008 at 09:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
slimm tom wrote:
The neather is actually a word for 'all that lives beneath' and not necessarily the Neather from KDD.
Where exactly are you getting this from?

09-16-2008 at 12:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Neather (+1)  
Jatopian wrote:
slimm tom wrote:

The DROD:RPG beta test forum, I think. And while this has been true in the internal Caravel story notes all along, I don't believe it has actually been expressed explicitly in any of the games, so I think this may be a bit confusing.

In any case, 'neather is a surface term for the people of the beneath. Whether it applies to all of them, or just a few specific individuals, is not stated by the canon at the moment. What is definitely canonical is that the guy at the bottom of KDD went by that title, and

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by eytanz at 09-16-2008 05:20 AM]
09-16-2008 at 03:14 AM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
eytanz wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
slimm tom wrote:

The DROD:RPG beta test forum, I think. And while this has been true in the internal Caravel story notes all along, I don't believe it has actually been expressed explicitly in any of the games, so I think this may be a bit confusing.

In any case, 'neather is a surface term for the people of the beneath. Whether it applies to all of them, or just a few specific individuals, is not stated by the canon at the moment. What is definitely canonical is that the guy at the bottom of KDD went by that title,
Click here to view the secret text

Uh? This seems like it might belong in spoiler tags as above.

09-16-2008 at 05:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
my question is:

are gobbos neathers, or do they go both ways like humans? (or can the denizens of the empire still be considered human at all?)

09-16-2008 at 05:20 AM
eytanz
Added, though I don't think this is much of a spoiler.

(The above was in response to Beef Row, silver's post came in while I was writing it).

[Last edited by eytanz at 09-16-2008 05:24 AM]
09-16-2008 at 05:21 AM
eytanz
icon Re: Neather (+2)  
silver wrote:
my question is:

are gobbos neathers, or do they go both ways like humans? (or can the denizens of the empire still be considered human at all?)

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, so here are a couple of different answers:

- Goblins naturally live underground, though they can survive on the surface.
- The term for creatures like goblins and wraithwings - sentient or semi-sentient beings that are natural to the beneath - is 'neathlings. 'neather is reserved for humans.
- Most of the Empire citizens are still very close genetically to non-Empire humans, though all citizens have undergone some genetic modification and almost all are vat-born (the exceptions being the rare recruit from aboveground and the occasional product of an illicit romance). Some specialized jobs, like Slayers and aumtlich, are far more drastically modified and probably won't qualify as human under most criteria.

09-16-2008 at 05:29 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
in fact, that addressed all my questions. especially the one about whether gobbos had major settlements above-ground.

I figured that since Beethro was familiar with their back-stabbing ways and because of the phrasing of his comments about them in KDD that he had some experience with them as traders - I just wasn't sure if it was because of his previous diving experience or because there were gobbo settlements above-ground.

(NB: I'm going by my impressions of my memories at this point, not precise quotes, I could also just be misremembering KDD)

[Last edited by silver at 09-16-2008 05:40 AM]
09-16-2008 at 05:34 AM
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
Isnt Citizen 2 graphic at Neather in KDD 2.0?

or should Caravelgames make new grapic to Neather?
09-18-2008 at 12:11 PM
kyevan
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 54
I think the issue is distinguishing a 'neather with The 'Neather. Perhaps breaking the rules of capitalization slightly is in order: "'neathers, on the whole, are human enough to be breeding-compatable." or "At the bottom of King Dugan's Dungeon, there lived a 'neather know, quite simply, as The 'Neather."

And, of course, fix the mismatch between room and info box graphics :P
09-20-2008 at 02:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
Related erratum: The help file describes the 'neather as the KDD antagonist. I think that's probably an oversight.

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 09-21-2008 04:46 AM]
09-21-2008 at 04:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Pinnacle wrote:
Related erratum: The help file describes the 'neather as the KDD antagonist. I think that's probably an oversight.
Thanks, everyone. I've fixed the wrong graphic in the combat box on the sidebar and elaborated on the text in the monster help file.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-26-2008 at 04:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Neather
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com