Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Help me!!!
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
IP: Logged

File: WTF.JPG (59.8 KB)
Downloaded 71 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Help me!!! (0)  
Ive installed a "antivirus"( in qutes because it was actually a virus. Ive been mislead ) called Antivirus 2008XP... Now i cant delete it!!! it also changed my wallpaper for this (Left part cut off to block you from seeing the icons).
08-27-2008 at 02:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlternativePuzzles
Rank Points: 30
icon Re: Help me!!! (0)  
There aren't many ways to really stop this, but there are a few. For example, you could install a real anti-virus. If that does only worse things for you computer, attempt to remove it and try a different one.

You shouldn't really worry about losing a bunch of progress, a spyware virus does little in actually destroying things. Most of the time, it just pops up all these annoying ads while you're on the internet.

Test out my hold currently in
architecture:
[url=http://forum.caravelgames.com/
viewtopic.php?TopicID=26578]Spike
Pit
08-27-2008 at 02:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Help me!!! (+1)  
Nuke it from orbit Reinstall Windows. It's the only way to be sure.

Also, think next time before installing some random crap you got off the Internets.

np: Nine Inch Nails - Meet Your Master (Year Zero)

08-27-2008 at 03:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
13th Slayer
AlternativePuzzles wrote:
There aren't many ways to really stop this, but there are a few. For example, you could install a real anti-virus. If that does only worse things for you computer, attempt to remove it and try a different one.

You shouldn't really worry about losing a bunch of progress, a spyware virus does little in actually destroying things. Most of the time, it just pops up all these annoying ads while you're on the internet.
I have a real antivirus... The only problem - because of this thing i cannot update(upgrade?) it
08-27-2008 at 03:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
13th Slayer
Briareos wrote:

Also, think next time before installing some random crap you got off the Internets.

np: Nine Inch Nails - Meet Your Master (Year Zero)

When reinstalling windows you usually format your hard drive(s). I have too much important stuff held there(DROD is the most important for me)... Besides it aint my computer...
08-27-2008 at 03:33 PM
aztcg7
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
icon Re: Help me!!! (+4)  
I'm feeling helpful today, so let me walk you through this malware removal. Credit goes to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/remove-antivirus-xp-2008 for the instructions.

Download this.

Install it, and let it update itself.

It should automatically start. If it doesn't, start it.

Run it.

Have it remove the malware.

Win.

:)

Now, I got to that webpage from a little known search engine named Google. Maybe you should try it sometime.

08-27-2008 at 03:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
13th Slayer
aztcg7 wrote:
I'm feeling helpful today, so let me walk you through this malware removal. Credit goes to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/remove-antivirus-xp-2008 for the instructions.

Download this.

Install it, and let it update itself.

It should automatically start. If it doesn't, start it.

Run it.

Have it remove the malware.

Win.

:)

Now, I got to that webpage from a little known search engine named Google. Maybe you should try it sometime.

404... :?
08-27-2008 at 07:32 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
13th Slayer wrote:
Briareos wrote:
When reinstalling windows you usually format your hard drive(s). I have too much important stuff held there(DROD is the most important for me)... Besides it aint my computer...
If it isn't your computer why are you infecting it with malware in the first place? :huh

Also, USB hard drives of moderate size (but plenty large for saving stuff before reinstalling Windows) are sold for an apple and an egg nowadays.

13th Slayer wrote:
404... :?
Let me guess - the malware you installed doesn't like people looking up how to remove it?

Face it - your (whose?) machine is busted.

Just reinstall Windows without formatting the partition (but don't do a repair install either, as that will most probably keep the junk you've got) then install a good malware scanner, clean up your drive and re-install all applications.

[Last edited by Briareos at 08-27-2008 08:56 PM]
08-27-2008 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Don't try to fix it yourself. You can't. :lol

Tell your father that you broke the computer and that there is a virus in it.

If he can't fix it, then :throw
08-27-2008 at 11:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302

File: mbam-setup.exe (2 MB)
Downloaded 56 times.
License: Public Domain
Attached file linked by aztcg7 to here.

Try running this.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 08-28-2008 03:05 AM]
08-28-2008 at 03:04 AM
13th Slayer
Tim wrote:
Don't try to fix it yourself. You can't. :lol

Tell your father that you broke the computer and that there is a virus in it.

If he can't fix it, then :throw

just in case, the whole family already knows
08-28-2008 at 04:15 AM
rman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 371
I had the same thing, but it's called Antivirus2009 (I heard that it's the same thing). It just "installs" itself into Program Files. Its folder is called av2009 or something. Inside it there's only one file - av2009.exe. I deleted this folder and the virus died. Maybe you can do something like that to Antivirus2008XP? It's folder can be called av2008xp.

Hope that helps. :glasses

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by rman at 08-28-2008 07:23 AM]
08-28-2008 at 07:22 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Help me!!!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com