Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : rank points?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ravon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
IP: Logged
icon rank points? (+2)  
maybe this should go in the hints and solutions section, but I have made more than one post and yet I still only have one rank point.
:weep
Is there an obvious answer that I'm missing?
thanks for the help
03-19-2004 at 01:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: rank points? (+1)  
rank points are not linked to the number of posts you make, but to how other people "moderate" your posts. Read the Moderation thread at the top of this forum for a more in-depth look at the system, but the long and the short of it is if you make a post people like, they rank it as Good, and you gain rank points.

03-19-2004 at 04:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
It's designed to create feelings of superiority, or inferiority, depending on whether your posts get "modded" or not. Users who get a few rank points will soon become rank points junkies and begin posting every 10 minutes. Those who don't collect any rank points will become depressed and stop posting altogether.

Does it show that I think it's a rather silly idea? ;)

(Watch my rank points go downhill fast after this post. :lol )
03-19-2004 at 08:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: rank points? (0)  
bandit1200 wrote:
Users who get a few rank points will soon become rank points junkies and begin posting every 10 minutes.
I think the problem with the old system was that too many people were post count junkies, and thus would begin posting every 10 minutes. If we have someone gaining rank points every 10 minutes, then that's a good thing, as this person must be making lots of quality posts, not just filler posts.
Those who don't collect any rank points will become depressed and stop posting altogether.
I hope that doesn't happen. I would have hoped that new users wouldn't know or care what the Rank Points were, but Ravon has proved me wrong. Maybe everyone who's under a certain number of points should get an automatic +1 just for posting.

03-19-2004 at 03:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Why not just start people with a base amount rank points? Say 10, 50, or 100? That won't solve the issue of people not getting new rank points, but it will make it clear that it's not tied to post count. And will feel nicer in general

--

Or, alternatively, since post count wasn't working, and rank points seem to be confusing and not really going anywhere, why not just scrap all rank systems whatsoever? I'm sort of getting more and more convinced that that might be the best idea.

03-19-2004 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
eytanz wrote:
Why not just start people with a base amount rank points? Say 10, 50, or 100? That won't solve the issue of people not getting new rank points, but it will make it clear that it's not tied to post count. And will feel nicer in general
I actually just changed it this morning so new users start with 10.
Or, alternatively, since post count wasn't working, and rank points seem to be confusing and not really going anywhere, why not just scrap all rank systems whatsoever? I'm sort of getting more and more convinced that that might be the best idea.
I'm not quite ready for anything that drastic yet.

03-19-2004 at 04:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Schik wrote:
I actually just changed it this morning so new users start with 10.

What about the almost-new people? Do they get an extra 10 too?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
03-19-2004 at 04:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
What about the almost-new people? Do they get an extra 10 too?
Everyone who had under 10 got 10.

Actually, I kinda screwed up and gave everyone who had under ten exactly 10. So if you had 9, you now have 10 instead of 19. Sorry. :blush

03-19-2004 at 04:48 PM
Drizzo
Rank Points: 179
I definitely don't want to see it scrapped... I enjoy when I say something silly and get +'s for it, because that means I know I made people laugh, and getting a +4 for my ridiculously long addition to the Beethro story also felt really good, because I know people enjoyed it... someone enjoyed it enough to spend a buncha mod points to get it up from +3... that was a big compliment... (BTW someone else add to it, I don't want to have to write the rest myself, but I will, if I get bored enough) I don't know if giving people ten rank points to start will really help, seeing as they still wont be getting anywhere until someone gives them +mods... perhaps if there was an automatic +1 to all posts made until one becomes a goblin? after all, is it fair to judge an insect? once a goblin, wit,intelligence or utility could certainly be expected.... I dunno
I don't much care myself... I just like the system as a nice way for compliments without having to write a post...
But the first 15 posts giving +1 would also encourage people to get their feet wet in the forums, yet discourage people posting smileys and such later on, thus perhaps giving the best of both worlds?

03-19-2004 at 05:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stuwy
Rank Points: 212
I don't mind what rank points I get. Only if theres a forum RPG that uses rank points to build up your character, then I will start caring :P .
03-24-2004 at 02:10 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I think that would take them a while to code. :P

03-24-2004 at 03:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : rank points?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com