Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : How the roaches get to beethro
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
IP: Logged
icon How the roaches get to beethro (0)  
A few months ago I was talking to Mike and he was explaining to me how different aspects of the game works. If I remember correctly, the monsters are stored in one array and other items are stored in another array. I guess that my question is that I am interested in the way that the roaches get to Beethro. I would like to know the way this happens. Mike (or anyone)... could you give me some Pseudo code on how this is done (without 'Brains' in the room and also with 'Brains' in the room).

If this is too lengthy to do in the forum, then I will probably just download the code and take a look at it. It would just be interesting to see what way the roaches are moving around the walls and/or going directly to Beethro.

03-15-2004 at 05:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: How the roaches get to beethro (0)  
Nice timing.. have a look in the "general" forum, under "monster movement clarification". Bibelot has just posted exactly what you want there.
03-15-2004 at 09:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
Thanks for that... I didn't see that earlier.
However, I am (more or less) interested in the algorithm that the brain uses to look for the path to Beethro. I can understand a basic idea that was stated by Bibelot, but I would like to dig a little deeper into how the brain looks for the path and how it finds the path.
03-15-2004 at 11:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
Oh, ok. My guess is, since bibelot said it used a recursive method, that it would label all available squares next to beethro 1, then label all available squares next to a one 2, etc. Then all a brained roach would have to do is take a step (according to that orthogonal thing) to the smallest number it can.
03-15-2004 at 11:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : How the roaches get to beethro
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No