Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Massive Hold Art
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ClaytonW
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 961
IP: Logged

File: Eye.hold (10.9 KB)
Downloaded 236 times.
License: Other
icon Massive Hold Art (+4)  
Hoo-boy... what can I say about this thing?

If you've played Claythro Tower, and you liked level 5, then you'll love this.

Attached to this post is something I've worked on every so often for a little over two weeks. It's a (fairly large) work of "Hold Art." Essentially a picture, drawn using the DROD elements. It's an astonishing 63 rooms altogether, each room completed one pixel (wall) at a time.

My eyes are now much worse than they were when they started... enjoy. :lol
03-14-2004 at 06:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Koro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 74
icon Re: Massive Hold Art (0)  
How is this any different than attatching a monochrome bitmap to your post?

Don't get me wrong. It is very cool. It just seems like using a can opener to stir your gravy. Using something that can do much more to make something else. If the rooms were also playable (like Claythro Tower level 5), it would be one thing, this... well it's pretty, but maybe not so DROD. Of course everyone is welcome to their opinion.

[Edited by Koro on 03-14-2004 at 02:53 PM GMT]

[Edited by Koro on 03-14-2004 at 02:54 PM GMT]

03-14-2004 at 07:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
You must have been either really bored or really depressed or something to do this.
How long did it take? I certainly wouldn't have had the patience to do something of this size.
The good thing, of course, is the "wow" moment when you first open it in the editor.
I think you should have sprung it on people unexpected: called it "my new hold" or something and not told anyone it was hold art.

[Edited by masonjason on 03-14-2004 at 10:12 AM GMT]

03-14-2004 at 10:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
63 rooms is a lot to design puzzles in. Especially if they were going to be interesting or difficult. Designing a puzzle has got to take me 5 times as long as transfering 1,216 pixels to a room.

Incidentally, the hold is editable by anyone, so if anybody feels like creating a populated dungeon out of it, I wouldn't object in the least. In fact, I encourage it.

The difference between doing this and attaching a monochrome bitmap to my post is this: If I copied pixel by pixel one bitmap into another bitmap, and then posted it here, I'd either be a liar or an imbecile or both. As masonjason said, you get that "Wow" factor, you really don't expect to see what you see in the editor. Perhaps I should've done it more secretly, but again, I didn't want to make 63 puzzles, and if I didn't actually populate "My New Hold," some people would get upset because they were looking forward to my dungeon.

As far as the patience it took to do this... it was bearable, honest. I always had music on, I didn't spend more than an hour and a half each time I worked on it (save for last night, which I completed the bottom two rows, all in one sitting, no idea how long it took). And, well, depending on what, I enjoy doing what some people might find overly tedious.

And yeah, maybe I was a little bored. I'm only working one day a week at my new job at PetCo, my girlfriends parents don't let her out past 8 during the week, 10 on weekends, my other friends are usually busy, and I can only play DRODTris so many times in one night. :)
03-14-2004 at 05:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Wow, this is just... wow, I'm totally impressed.

I've looked at every room in the hold, though, and I see one problem with setting up puzzles and making the hold playable, though: most of the rooms are inaccessible. Now, if someone wanted to copy the level a few times and have exits to the different parts of the image, that might work.

03-14-2004 at 06:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
What's so wrong with breakable walls?

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-14-2004 at 06:44 PM
levelthirteen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109

File: Negotiatefail.hold (5.2 KB)
Downloaded 57 times.
License: Other
I started something like this for the five suite speaking grounds.
03-16-2004 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Massive Hold Art
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com