Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Level 9 4N 2E
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Songsmith
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
IP: Logged
icon Level 9 4N 2E (+2)  
Hi. I'm quite new to DROD - but I'm totally addicted! I even stay late at work to play on a faster computer than I've got at home!!

I've read all the previous posts on this level, but I keep getting a load of bugs betwee points 1 and 2 that I can't make move anywhere.

Please, please, please can anyone offer me another hint as to how to finish this room, before I go mad :bangin

TIA... n I'll be yur bes fren frevrnevr (well... maybe...!)
Jan

03-10-2004 at 07:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Level 9 4N 2E (0)  
I think the simplest hint is to try again when entering from the East. You should be able to manipulate the roaches more easily that way.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-10-2004 at 07:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
icon Re: Level 9 4N 2E (+1)  
There's a trick in this room:
Click here to view the secret text

It's not required to do things that way though.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-10-2004 at 08:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Nillo wrote:
There's a trick in this room:
It's not required to do things that way though.
Gah! Curses on you for reminding me of something I haven't done yet! Now I'm going to end up going home and playing that room for two hours instead of installing VS.Net (I love my school, I get free software legally). Seriously though, I've always used your method, I've not been able to defeat the room without doing it. Maybe it's the lazy in me...

03-10-2004 at 09:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Songsmith
Rank Points: 38
Thank you for your help. :kiss

I finally conquered the room, and escaped this level. :thumbsup

Now for level 10...

Jan

03-11-2004 at 02:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Heenavah
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
I am having the same problem as songsmith. I knew you could catch the roaches in the "bridge" as it were, and I've been coming in from the east, but that doesn't seem to work. Any clues? :unsure any?

That's it. Just smile and nod. :yes

[Last edited by Heenavah at 07-28-2005 02:11 AM]
07-28-2005 at 02:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Heenavah
OOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I got it now. Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevermind. I had a strooooooooooooooooooke.
(whoever can tell me what that's from gets a point) :fun

07-28-2005 at 05:58 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
The Simpsons, I believe. There's a fancy waiter that keeps drawing out everything he says, and when questioned about it, he replies, "I had a strooooooooke!"

07-28-2005 at 04:08 PM
Heenavah
Now, Matt. Did you really need that point? Come on. :P

07-28-2005 at 05:40 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Oneiromancer's like on 1500 points. Sure I need them! I can't just give them to myself any more.

07-29-2005 at 12:58 PM
wiseoldman
Rank Points: 50

File: level94N2Eresults.gif (273.8 KB)
Downloaded 89 times.
License: Public Domain
Oneiromancer wrote:
I think the simplest hint is to try again when entering from the East. You should be able to manipulate the roaches more easily that way.

Game on,

There are only 3 threads for 4N2E and none seem to help me. I still cannot get roaches that line up in columns 11 & 12 to move where I can get them. :yikes

More details would be appreciated as entering from the East doesn't seem to allow the roaches in columns 11 & 12 to move to "meet their death".

The attached graphic will show where I get stuck.

Thank you :D

[Last edited by wiseoldman at 12-04-2006 01:23 PM]
12-04-2006 at 01:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535

12-04-2006 at 04:51 PM
wiseoldman
Kevin_P86 wrote:

Thank you for responding to my "cry for help". Unfortunately, I still am at a loss as to what you mean by "... use one for something else other than trapping roaches." I assume you mean to raise the barrier before roaches enter. If this is the case then only the lower right chamber would satisfy this. But I don't see how this would help.

No matter which entrance I enter or where I move after entering I still have roaches remaining in (11,9)-(11,17), (12,9), (12,10), and (12,17) (more or less). How do I get these roaches out of those squares?

I can kill all the roaches that "pile up" on (14,X) and (15,X) to the East using the barriers on the East. I sure am missing something here.
12-04-2006 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723

12-04-2006 at 10:24 PM
wiseoldman
zex20913 wrote:

Yep, I figured that out the 1st thing. And now, the "light bulb" just CLICKED! I was not considering the now empty chambers that I could move in to draw the roaches to where I wanted them. Man, so easy but yet so hard. Sometimes you can't see the trees for the forest. :thumbsup

Many thanks to all you posted their hints.

[Last edited by wiseoldman at 12-05-2006 12:39 AM]
12-05-2006 at 12:17 AM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Level 9 4N 2E
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com