Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : begginning of a hold (UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE YAYAYAY)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ravon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
IP: Logged

File: Dungeon of the Five Palaces.hold (9.9 KB)
Downloaded 96 times.
License: Other
icon begginning of a hold (+1)  
okay, I reattached my hold.

[Edited by Ravon on 03-17-2004 at 02:40 AM GMT: what do I have to do to get you to play it?]

UPDATE UPDATE YAYAYAYAYAYAY :yay :yay :yay

[Edited by Ravon on 04-21-2004 at 03:33 AM GMT: UPDATEUPDATEUPDATE]
03-10-2004 at 03:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Koro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 74
icon Re: begginning of a hold (0)  
Try attatching your hold again. It appears not to have worked.

03-10-2004 at 04:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
So Ravon, I want to play your hold, but it's not attached to your post. Are you planning to upload it?

03-12-2004 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
Heh, the preview bug strikes again...

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-12-2004 at 08:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ravon
oopsjavascript:void(0);
javascript:void(0);
I'll attach it on sunday
sorry
03-13-2004 at 01:56 AM
DiMono
Alright, I've played your hold, and it has all the elements of a good hold. There are a few puzzles, a few hack and slash adventures, and it's enteraining to play without being frustrating. I'm sure that when you play through some more of Dugan's, and see how the different dungeon elements can interact with each other, you'll have even more ideas, and this will grow in to something really quite good.

I can send you my demos if you'd like, since seeing how people solve your rooms will help give you ideas. I have a few comments on specific rooms for you:
Click here to view the secret text

Overall, I liked the hold, I enjoyed it. In some of your rooms you're employing a "less is more" mentality, which is refreshing. I look forward to seeing more from you in the weeks to come (where more is more :) ).

03-19-2004 at 04:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
Rank Points: 179
icon Re: begginning of a hold (+2)  
Considering you claim to only have beaten the first 5 levels of Dugan's when you made this, I'm impressed, and if you were able to beat your own hold, that bodes well for your success later in the dungeon... That being said, some general criticism... A lot of rooms could benefit from some aesthetic enhancement... add some decor and such, so as to make the rooms a little prettier, there's a lot of unused space. First floor, 1n & 1e in particular stand out... Also, if you can get your "point" across with less creatures, it can often make for a better puzzle...
On to the room by room remarks...
FILLED WITH SPOILERS, but far too long to be all secreted, and the hold isn't too difficult anyway, but if you're a beginner and want to try it out you may not want to read this
First Floor
1n is a pretty decent little room, good practice for early goblin management skills, especially at the beginning, but as I said before, I think it's ugly. It could use some more texture to improve the appearance, and also to get the beginner goblin managers to work out their brains a little more with the terrain.
3w isn't bad either, I think some walls to the right of the green door wouldn't be bad, thus forcing you to maneuver around them, slightly increasing the difficulty of the puzzle, or perhaps a rightward facing force arrow on the top and bottom of the green door, with a 1 square wide corridor leading up to them, thus sending two tar babies out to you every spawn, nothing too difficult, but keeps it mroe interesting.
2w is another room that I find unattractive, but it has potential... working with the trapdoors and wraithwings while avoiding the snake is one option, but when I saw it, I immediately wanted it to be a more timed puzzle... this could be done by eliminating all the trapdoors in the big red square, and just leaving those near the snake's exit... if you reduce the number of wraithwings slightly, this could force beethro to deal with the wraithwings quickly then go close the trapdoors before the snake escapes that passage (of course this would also require sealing up the 1 square wide passage in the bottom and putting a force arrow on the passage the snake starts off going through, so that he couldn't go through it again). As the puzzle stands the snake is extremely easy to deal with by just a couple of diagonal steps.
1w needs a checkpoint shortly after the passage, first of all... I made a typo twice, because I'm a careless DROD player, and was pissed about having to go back through the passage and cut through the roaches, other than that the roach buildup that you generate by forcing the player to walk through that long passage is quite easy to deal with, as you have only a one square entrance to the room, thus making it a matter of tedious slashing... there's a number of ways this room could be made more interesting (add some roach queens so that in order to kill enough of them you'd have to back up a little so that you could kill a roach every turn... have to modify the passage a bit. Or you could take out the crumbly walls, then the roaches would come to you as you went down the passage, still easy, as the passage would be 1 square wide, but would eliminate the tedious slashing when you got there, and would force you to be careful around the corners, a couple more roach queens would be interesting there too.) the texture on the left half of the room though, does help to keep finishing off the roach queens more interesting.
1e doesn't really have anything going to make it interesting, although it could certainly be quite challenging if you don't know anything about goblins... maybe... do something different with it.
1s has a lot of small gaps, you just stop at any of them and the roaches all die... if you added a lot more roaches or replaced all the roaches with roach queens, or just opened it up a bit this level could have something, as it is it's a very very quick stage.
1s1e Ok, so if you wanted to do what I think you wanted to do, this is my favorite board in the hold... I assume you wanted to force the player to get the goblin into the passage before the snake left it. That's a great idea for a beginner goblin fighter, forces them to pay attention to the basics of goblin control, without being too ridiculous about it. unfortunately, it doesn't quite work that way as it is. That could be fixed somehow... quite complex of a fix, but as it stands, you can easily lure the snake into the passage it came out of again after you deal with the goblin.
Second
1n1w doesn't have all that much going on, but it certainly has some challenge, the eyes can add to the difficulty, forcing you to pay attention where you move while you deal with the rest of the threats... could use some decoration in the unused areas, and I didn't really understand the tar in the lower left.
1n isn't at all bad, certainly a neat little mimic stage... I think you might not have your orbs do exactly what you want though... or maybe the one in the upper left is supposed to be a decoy... one of the prettier stages...
1w needs decoration badly... a lot of space in the right half could be prettied up... that being said, the enemies coming from both sides actually gives this board one of the more interesting challenges in the hold, so thumbs up to you for this one...
1e needs a Brain in it, otherwise the snake dies immediately and the roaches get trapped and there's nothing to it... a brain a good ways into the maze would make you flee from the snake for longer while fighting off cockroaches and really increase the excitement level of the board... depending on where you placed the brain, you could adjust the difficulty level... I myself would recommend placing it up by the roach queens or in the upper left, Beethro could still survive by going to the square on the bottom where you can only reach by stepping diagonally, and then have to deal with the rest of it... anyway... I can't emphasize enough how much this stage needs a brain to make it work, the only other way would be a reworking of the maze, but that's much closer to a new room entirely, and a brain does that with a lot less effort.
1s1w has an AWESOME beginning, I love the way you have to not open the gate till after you hit the top orb. I also so wanted to make this a timed room, because I got down to the roach mothers right as the second spawn was coming, though the first one was blocked by the snake (although I definitely could have been more efficient to be there earlier) if you put some force arrows so that Beethro had to be down there before the second spawn or the roaches would get trapped behind the arrows, forever inaccessible, that would make for an excellent bit of puzzle, without being too difficult. Unfortunately, after this, the level became quite tedious, I got sick of killing the tar babies in the alcoves, and they didn't pose much of a threat to anything except typos, and the eye part just further increased my fear of typos especially because that was after a whole lot of alcove clearing... But the first part of the room is the best designed part of the entire hold, if the last part were different, (and you had to get down to the queens before the second spawn) it would be a room I would be proud to put in my own hold...
1s has too many wraithwings... it's far too easy to just duck to the left and cut back and forth, then step out to lure more up to you, and cut back and forth... Easy isn't necessarily bad, but it's also tedious... something needs to be done to make this room less tedious or more challenging...

Anyway, I know I was full of criticism and harshness, but given your inexperience with the game, it is definitely a good effort, and as you learn more and more about how the game works you'll think of more and more ways to make things better, keep up the effort, and I look forward to seeing your next hold, and hope that you continue creating, and continue to enjoy DROD... =)

03-19-2004 at 04:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
SKWERLL
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
Yeah it was good, I'm on the sixth level and I made a hold that is so bad it sucks. Or at least I say it sucks. It is the 1-LEVEL E-Z HOLD!!! Oh yeah, nice entrance designs, although strange :D

The best hold in the world!
03-20-2004 at 10:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ravon
DiMono wrote:
Alright, I've played your hold, and it has all the elements of a good hold. There are a few puzzles, a few hack and slash adventures, and it's enteraining to play without being frustrating. I'm sure that when you play through some more of Dugan's, and see how the different dungeon elements can interact with each other, you'll have even more ideas, and this will grow in to something really quite good.

I can send you my demos if you'd like, since seeing how people solve your rooms will help give you ideas. I have a few comments on specific rooms for you:
Click here to view the secret text

Overall, I liked the hold, I enjoyed it. In some of your rooms you're employing a "less is more" mentality, which is refreshing. I look forward to seeing more from you in the weeks to come (where more is more :) ).

actually, I started out with your suggestion on second 1s1w and it makes it impossible.
03-22-2004 at 02:22 AM
Ravon
Drizzo wrote:
1s1w has an AWESOME beginning, I love the way you have to not open the gate till after you hit the top orb. I also so wanted to make this a timed room, because I got down to the roach mothers right as the second spawn was coming, though the first one was blocked by the snake (although I definitely could have been more efficient to be there earlier) if you put some force arrows so that Beethro had to be down there before the second spawn or the roaches would get trapped behind the arrows, forever inaccessible, that would make for an excellent bit of puzzle, without being too difficult. Unfortunately, after this, the level became quite tedious, I got sick of killing the tar babies in the alcoves, and they didn't pose much of a threat to anything except typos, and the eye part just further increased my fear of typos especially because that was after a whole lot of alcove clearing... But the first part of the room is the best designed part of the entire hold, if the last part were different, (and you had to get down to the queens before the second spawn) it would be a room I would be proud to put in my own hold...

I know, it is pretty terrible, I just couldn't think of anything else to do...
03-22-2004 at 02:26 AM
Drizzo
icon Re: begginning of a hold (+1)  
Ravon wrote:

I know, it is pretty terrible, I just couldn't think of anything else to do...

it ain't that bad, keep trying... the more you play, the more you'll be able to think of... I didn't want my stuff to sound all harsh, but to be more helpful with ideas... and like I said, the beginning is an excellent little bit of puzzling... Oh and extending the lower walls wouldn't make it impossible as long as you didn't extend the leftmost wall where it's two thick... you would just have to cut through diagonally... personally I vote against that, because that would just increase the aggravation of clearing that tar section... I dunno... I think I just don't like tar... I get impatient with it and make stupid mistakes, and when I get into situations where I have repetetive clearing on top of additional monsters like that, the mistakes just increase, and next thing I want to smash.

Anyway... much respect

03-22-2004 at 06:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ravon
DiMono wrote:
I can send you my demos if you'd like, since seeing how people solve your rooms will help give you ideas.

Actually demos would be great :yes .
03-27-2004 at 03:21 AM
DiMono
Right, PM me your email address and I'll ship them off to you (don't want to put them in the thread, as that would spoil the fun for everyone else who might download them).

03-27-2004 at 03:56 AM
Ravon
My parents won't let me give you my e-mail address, nothing against you though :blush
04-01-2004 at 04:33 AM
Drizzo
poor Ravon, with such protective parents... however this time they are right, I gave DiMono my email address and he still sends me naked pictures of himself on a daily basis... it's kinda creepy but I just forward 'em to the white house.

You could always just attach them to some post in some several month old thread, DiMono, PM him and let him know where they are, then remove them after he's gotten them... that great smiley post could still be useful for something other than being an hour void in your life :P

04-01-2004 at 06:26 AM
DiMono
Poor Drizzo, pretending he doesn't like it. YOU ASKED ME FOR THEM! Sick little monkey...

Anyway, yeah, if your parents don't want you giving your email address to someone you've never met in person, I can respect that. I'll stick them on some distant post and let you know where they are.

04-01-2004 at 07:42 AM
Drizzo
Did I forget to mention that part? Oops, my bad...

04-01-2004 at 08:45 AM
Ravon
So, DiMono, where are they??? I haven't gotten anything from you yet...
04-03-2004 at 03:15 AM
DiMono
That's because I haven't had time to do anything with them yet. I've suddenly been forced to realize how much chronic fatigue syndrome actually sucks, and yet that I need to force my way through it for school, so exporting DROD demos is sort of at the bottom of my list of things to do for the moment. If things go well, I'll get them out for you by the end of next week.

04-03-2004 at 05:08 AM
Ravon
just for the record I am now on the 7th in the 8th

(I didn't feel like updating the ending though, and I know its been a while since I've even seen the editor)
04-09-2004 at 06:05 PM
Drizzo
Happened to see that you did an update without posting to bump it up to the top. So, for the people that don't spend as much time looking at the board as I do:
bump.

Good to see you still building, Ravon

04-21-2004 at 08:54 AM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
Third level: You can't get back through 1E, so if you've found your way to the exit without completing the rest of the level, at least 3 rooms have to be done again.
04-21-2004 at 06:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ravon
bandit1200 wrote:
Third level: You can't get back through 1E, so if you've found your way to the exit without completing the rest of the level, at least 3 rooms have to be done again.

Right I noticed that to haven't fixed it yet but the new version will come on monday.

I'm also redoing a couple of rooms in earlier levels.
04-22-2004 at 03:03 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : begginning of a hold (UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE YAYAYAY)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com