Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : How Legendary Are You Really? (Which Levels Did You Need Help On?)
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Which Levels Did You Need Help On?
My record is clean. Only Beethro and I cleared the dungeon.
I am a Legendary Smitemaster
I am not yet a Legendary Smitemaster
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
Koro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 74
IP: Logged
icon How Legendary Are You Really? (+1)  
For the consistancy of this poll, help on even one part of one room compromises that level. Check all that apply, and every voter should check either Smitemaster or not Smitemaster near the bottom, but not both, and be sure to check the no hints option if that applies.

Be completely honest.

This is in no way meant to make people feel bad, but maybe to allow those few independantly brave souls a small moment of extra glory.

03-10-2004 at 01:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: How Legendary Are You Really? (0)  
Are you referring to those who have the level "Legendary Smitemaster" in the forum, or those who have beaten the game and are in the "Hall of Legendary Smitemasters"? Because there are only 6 Legendary Smitemasters on the board, and that is just because they are on the DROD development team and/or have moderator privileges.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-10-2004 at 01:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Koro
icon Re: How Legendary Are You Really? (+1)  
I mean anyone who has seen the ending of King Dugan's Dungeon and smote the Neather, in either version, and regardless of whether MattCrampy has had time to put them on the list or not. Ya know, beat the game.
And seriously, are there any Legendary Smitemasters in the forum sense that haven't beat the game yet? That seemed unlikely to me.

03-10-2004 at 01:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Oh, I agree with you, and I figured that was what you meant, but it still could be confusing to someone that randomly comes along and thinks of themselves as a Delver instead of a Legendary Smitemaster...if would have been less confusing if you had just said "Have you beaten the game?", although that's a boring way to say it.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-10-2004 at 01:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
Well, if you don't count reading the basic strategy hints years ago, which taught me backswiping, which got me past the first room that stumped me, which I don't because I wasn't looking for a specific room hint, I just wanted to improve my play. It just turned out it made specific reference to the room I was stuck on, there was only 23 1n, and the tar city on level 24, just hoping there was an easier way, which there wasn't, but I did gather that
Click here to view the secret text
from the forum, which was very helpful... and level 13 the first time (skipped it every time since) after wandering around for 3-4 hours in it... including a misguided attempt at using the left hand rule... *sigh* anyway I marked my failings. I almost looked for help on the final room before deciding I would never respect my completion of the game if I did. And boy would I have felt silly... so to anyone who may consider that in the future, don't! You can definitely solve it without help.

03-10-2004 at 06:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
I was lucky enough to solve DROD before I knew there was a DROD website (in fact, I'm not sure there was one at the time). Lucky because otherwise, I would definitely have asked for help/read the hints/downloaded a demo at some point and not have been able to claim that my record is clean, which it is.

03-10-2004 at 06:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Yeah, I think I was something similar.. can't quite remember when I found the forum, but I didn't use any hints at all. The whole fun about it is trying to solve all the rooms yourself.
03-10-2004 at 09:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I defeated Webfoot 3 years ago, I don't think there was a drod.net back then, like eytanz. Then I just kept replaying the last 8 levels or so on a fairly regular basis, just for fun :)

03-10-2004 at 04:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Koro
icon Re: How Legendary Are You Really? (+1)  
This poll is shaping up to be rather informative. I'm glad there are lots of people out there that don't or couldn't use hints. Yeah, like Eytan said, if they had been available, things might have been different. Lucky I didn't have internet access as I played DROD. Had to go play Dugan's real quick and remind myself what level 23 was, as it is a high scorer. Hmm... Goblin puzzles. Yeah, 1N stumped me for a while. Good stuff.

03-10-2004 at 08:26 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
I sort of cheated with DROD, but I don't think it quite constitutes asking for help:

I completed DROD without help on the Webfoot version up to level 22. I then got bored trying to move several mimics around at the same time, and gave up. However, when I joined the alpha testing stage, I used the cheat keys to skip floors and played 23-25 before I'd finished 22, and then went through the rooms of 22 to see what I had to do left.

I suppose I cheated a bit, but I worked out the solutions to the rooms myself during testing.

03-11-2004 at 08:46 PM
Koro
I'd say you're good. I didn't do the levels in order either, what with the warp rooms and all. But like you, I did go back.

03-12-2004 at 06:44 AM
swann_88
Rank Points: 87
I don't remember how many times or which levels I was stuck on
I had to get help 3-4 times to make it through the game
the first room I remember needing help on
was the room with the trapdoors and the orbs in a 5 ? square wide corridor
I could not figure out the path for over a week before checking here

level 15 1s2w

[Edited by swann_88 on 03-27-2004 at 02:29 AM GMT: stooped being lazy and looked up the room ]
03-20-2004 at 06:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : How Legendary Are You Really? (Which Levels Did You Need Help On?) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com