Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Vote for Five-Suite Speaking Ground #3 (Runoff poll: Which FFSG is the best?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Runoff poll: Which FFSG is the best?
First entry.
Fifth entry.
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Vote for Five-Suite Speaking Ground #3 (0)  
>>yawn<< Boy, am I tired right now. I can barely type this.

This is the second runoff vote, and we've narrowed it down to two entries. Which do you like better--the first or the fifth?

The entries may be found here.
The ten criteria by which they ought to be judged may be found here.

Polls close March 8th, Midnight PST. If we have another tie, I will ask an independant judge to cast a final vote.

-Erik

03-05-2004 at 07:16 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Vote for Five-Suite Speaking Ground #3 (0)  
Holy moley. I just want to know who wins already.

03-05-2004 at 09:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Yeah, me too.

03-05-2004 at 01:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Somebody hurry up and form a valid, well-reasoned opinion and break the tie! I don't want to involve the independant judge in this. He's sort of grumpy and passive-aggressive.

-Erik

03-07-2004 at 01:37 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
I was going to look over them tonight but I realized after I started that they both were far more than minor building undertakings, and would take quite a while to fully appreciate each, but I was quite entertained by both during the 10 minutes I perused them and will find the time to completely explore each tomorrow, but I need sleeeeeeep now...

-----------

Lordy that was hard, I went with the one that was less irritating to get around and more clever with the solutions to the architectural problems... and didn't irritate me by leaving me with things I couldn't kill... and made me laugh a whole lot... especially the solution to problem the size paradox
The mystery in the first one was quite interesting and it was definitely more unique, but not nearly as much fun to play... loved being sent to the fire mines... the first time... anyway, I've cast my vote... Thanks to both of you for really cool holds =)

[Edited by Drizzo on 03-07-2004 at 10:55 PM GMT]

03-07-2004 at 05:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Well, even though I didn't get your recognition, I'm glad you at least liked mine. I'm rather proud of that hold.

8 and a half hours left for voting, everybody!

03-07-2004 at 11:28 PM
Drizzo
icon Re: Vote for Five-Suite Speaking Ground #3 (+3)  
It's certainly a good hold, and with a few tweaks in could easily have won my vote...a couple of puzzles outside of the mystery would have been nice; some are already there if you made a couple more things killable... and less of a pain to navigate... I got confused by the Weiss-Smith-Jimbo exclusion stuff all over the place (had trouble keeping the names straight... and at first I thought the smith-jimbo room was for smith and jimbo not for everyone else), although probably not so confusing as trying to put all that together...and the constant mimic potions right at the entrance were about the worst of all the problems I had, it would have been nice to get to look at the room before I had to deal with the mimic... (maybe a drink potion for assistance sign before the scrolls or something?) It was a good effect in the room with the negotiators though... Very good effect... I would also have enjoyed being able to somehow investigate the passage that the goblin escaped through for clues... very nice though... Also made me realize that staircases should have particular destinations attached and not just floors, because all those copies seemed quite unwieldy, although you had to do your best to circumvent game limitations... but I imagine that it wouldn't be too hard to program at all, and certainly would enhance the navigation properties of the game... although I guess levels are really intended to be crushed and left behind... but you showed there is more that you can do with the game than that...

-----------

LOL! While I was typing this someone else voted and brought the contest to a tie.... I wonder if they actually played them, or are just sabotaging the contest... Maybe RoboBob created another account and voted, just so he could still win =P

[Edited by Drizzo on 03-08-2004 at 03:09 AM GMT]

03-08-2004 at 03:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Drizzo wrote:
Maybe RoboBob created another account and voted, just so he could still win =P

Baloney. I wouldn't do something like that. I know you're joking though.

Anyhow, It looks like we need to rouse the independent judge. It's 7-7 at 1:11 PST.

03-08-2004 at 09:16 AM
eytanz
Oh, dang.

Bob - how about we just split the map between us? You take everything south of Rasurus and I get Rasurus and everything north of it? ;)

03-08-2004 at 01:33 PM
RoboBob3000
I actually wasn't thinking about getting the map. I thought about getting a t-shirt, but after wondering about what my friends would think of me if I wore it, I decided I'd rather get a coffee mug.

Then they all jumped off a bridge and I followed.

03-08-2004 at 04:41 PM
eytanz
Oh. Given that I already have a mug (from winning the Haiku contest back in the early days of the forum), and I don't really need a map for anything other than to say I have one, and assuming Erik doesn't mind, it's fine with me if you just go ahead and take the mug.

03-08-2004 at 04:59 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: Vote for Five-Suite Speaking Ground #3 (-1)  
I'll cast the last vote, if you like, because I haven't voted, but I don't have any time for a couple days.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
03-08-2004 at 05:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Does the poll strike you as looking a little odd right now? Eytan has 100% of the votes with 8, I have 87.5% with 7 votes, and this is all out of 19 votes.

...what?

03-08-2004 at 06:13 PM
ErikH2000
It looks like I'll be the independant judge here. "Independant" as in... I haven't voted so far and have not myself made an entry into the contest. Give me a while to analyze the two holds and make a judgment.

-Erik

03-08-2004 at 06:19 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Does the poll strike you as looking a little odd right now? Eytan has 100% of the votes with 8, I have 87.5% with 7 votes, and this is all out of 19 votes.
The percentages are fixed now. Sorry about that.

the total votes is different because it now includes people who have selected "View Results".

03-08-2004 at 06:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
swann_88
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
icon Re: Vote for Five-Suite Speaking Ground #3 (+1)  
I think what would cause problems with stairs going to specific spots as opposed to level start would be that the game doesn't remember which rooms you have already done
so a lot of levels would be unsolvable

as for the contest
in the end I voted for RoboBob's hold
because both holds did a great job of meeting most of the requirements but in his hold Beethro had a real reason for being there
I have trouble picturing Beethro as a tourist cruising around with his camera somehow. Give me the sword anyday!

(altough blinding monsters with the flash then killing them sounds pretty good now that I stop to think about it)

Edit: Erik you must have been tired I just noticed the title of the poll

[Edited by swann_88 on 03-09-2004 at 02:16 AM GMT]
03-09-2004 at 02:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
swann_88 wrote:
I think what would cause problems with stairs going to specific spots as opposed to level start would be that the game doesn't remember which rooms you have already done so a lot of levels would be unsolvable
Ooh -- I'm going to start calling you Foreshadow Boy! I so happens that I just revised the import process to allow retaining all your player saved games intact when a hold is upgraded, so this won't be an issue. (Saved games that don't work anymore won't be kept.) Good job noticing that.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-09-2004 at 10:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
I'm casting the final vote for Robobob's entry. I thought both holds met requirements satisfactorily. There were just a few more hooks in Robobob's hold and it was a bit more fun for me to roam around. If Robobob had not entered the contest, and I had the same decision to make, I probably would have voted for Eytan's as the best. Both speaking grounds were quite good.

So Robobob, congratulations! Please e-mail erikh at caravelgames dot com with your selection from the DROD store and an address to which I can ship it.

-Erik

03-09-2004 at 11:40 PM
RoboBob3000
icon Re: Vote for Five-Suite Speaking Ground #3 (+2)  
Woohoo! Thanks a ton everybody for voting for my hold! I put a lot of effort into it. Your hold was great too, Eytan, and you deserved to win just as much. I definately thought you upheld the requirements better than me.

To tell you the truth, this voting business could have ended after the first round. I intended to vote for my own, when in reality I accidentally voted for the seventh entry. Stupid butterfly ballot. Anyhow, I didn't feel like causing a commotion and waited it out instead.

I'm gettin' me a mug!

03-10-2004 at 12:41 AM
swann_88
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
well I think the fix to the import process is fantastic
it will definitely encourage more testing and upgrading of holds in progress
what we were talking about though was during actual game play
to have a stair that went to room 1w say on a level
and another stair that went to 1e on the same level
I don't think your change will allow that
it sounds more like the kind of major change that would be worked into a new version than a minor fix

[Edited by swann_88 on 03-10-2004 at 02:08 AM GMT: I hate spelling mistakes]
03-10-2004 at 02:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Congratulations Robobob!

A most worthy victory indeed; I was actually surprised that I lasted this long (so the fact that it was all because of your mistake comes explains a bit).

03-10-2004 at 02:58 AM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Congratulations, RoboBob! :yay Yep, a worthy winner.

Also, have fun with your mug. Happy mugging! (Yarrr.)

- Gerry
03-10-2004 at 04:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
swann_88 wrote:
I think what would cause problems with stairs going to specific spots as opposed to level start would be that the game doesn't remember which rooms you have already done
The coders have told us that memory of what rooms have been completed on each level will be in 1.7. It's in one of the feature requests threads somewhere, buried under last week's paperwork.

03-10-2004 at 06:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
ErikH2000 wrote:
I'm casting the final vote for Robobob's entry.

Well done, Robobob! Congratulations!

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
03-10-2004 at 06:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
icon Re: Vote for Five-Suite Speaking Ground #3 (+1)  
Just wondering if maybe this, and the 11th hour competition (or for that matter the moderation) threads could be unstickied seeing as they're not really active or... wossname... timely, anymore? I keep getting confused by the 3 threads at the top...

03-14-2004 at 11:55 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Vote for Five-Suite Speaking Ground #3 (Runoff poll: Which FFSG is the best?) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com