Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Testing my Project Manager
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
IP: Logged

File: ProjectManager-alpha.zip (408.4 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
License: Other
icon Testing my Project Manager (0)  
To anyone who would even care at all:

I was working on DRODtris for a while (I have not picked it up for a long time, but hope to in the future). I had many suggestions and ideas, and used to write it down on paper (which I lost all of the time).
To fix this, I have created a program called "Project Manager". This is a bug tracking program. It can have multiple project (programs) that it tracks the bugs/enhancements. It stores all of the data into a MySQL database. I have put a good amount of time into this and decided that I want to make it bigger and better.
I was hoping that some people would download it and give me suggestions and ideas for this.
To use this program, you must have the MySQL server installed and running. Also, you need to have a database created called: Project_Manager
If you have this setup, you can run the program. At first, it will tell you that it recognizes that you have not ran this program before. Enter the Server's IP address and check the box stating that this is a new server. Then, enter the admin password.
The admin password is: je55ica
You will then be taken to a login. Login as:
User Name: Admin
Password: je55ica
This is hard coded into the program.
Then, add a project to track (for example: DRODtris).
Then, you will need to set up as a user. Click on the User's button and create a new user. Also, give yourself 'super user' rights and enter a password (the default password is your user name). You will then be able to log in as yourself.
There is no help file yet, so feel free to ask questions.

Don't feel obligated to try this out. It is not a big deal. I just thought that I could get some good feedback from some of you. Also, don't take time out of testing DROD. I like to see DROD tested more than this.

***If you don't have MySQL, I you can download it for free at www.mysql.com
***I would suggest downloading the MySQL Control Center from www.mysql.com as well.
***You may also need to download and install MyODBC from www.mysql.com for the program to run. (NOW, YOU MAY NOT... JUST ADDED THE myodbc3.dll TO THE PROGRAM FILE).

Again, I just hope to get a little feedback... any type of feedback is helpful.

-Brad

EDIT: New version. Also added myodbc3.dll to the file... you should not need to download the MyODBC now. This should take care of that. All of the other instructions are the same as above.

ALSO: Added many new features... some include: Printing out data in the grid, bug fixes, blah, blah, blah. Currently working on a "Create Release Notes" ability.

[Edited by bradwall on 03-12-2004 at 04:24 PM GMT]
03-03-2004 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: Testing my Project Manager (0)  
I don't have mysql installed, or any reasonable way to download it since I'm on dial-up, but I have some general suggestions for things to make sure you handle. Some may already be in your program, I don't know, but here we go:

Milestones. Be able to list what you want to have done by when, and be able to track them (progress).

For bugs: severity. Some bugs are more important than others.

Importance of features. Be able to list them as trivial, noticeable, or significant.

Version listings. Suppose your program is in version 1.0.0. A trivial change would make it 1.0.1. Then, a noticable change would make it 1.1.1. Then, a significant change, like rewriting part of the code entirely, would make it 2.0.0. It would be nice if the program kept track of this, so that when you check off certain tasks as done, and then say "This is time for a new version," the program automatically feeds you the next version number.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Hope they help. Again, I haven't seen your program yet, so this is blind advice.

03-03-2004 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall

File: ScreenShots.zip (229.1 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
License: Other
Here are some screenshots (attached).

03-03-2004 at 10:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bradwall
DiMono wrote:
I don't have mysql installed, or any reasonable way to download it since I'm on dial-up, but I have some general suggestions for things to make sure you handle. Some may already be in your program, I don't know, but here we go:

Milestones. Be able to list what you want to have done by when, and be able to track them (progress).

The program keeps track of what when things were modified and by who. Also, you can put the % complete in there... if this is what you are talking about.

For bugs: severity. Some bugs are more important than others.

The program does keep track of severity.

Importance of features. Be able to list them as trivial, noticeable, or significant.

Version listings. Suppose your program is in version 1.0.0. A trivial change would make it 1.0.1. Then, a noticable change would make it 1.1.1. Then, a significant change, like rewriting part of the code entirely, would make it 2.0.0. It would be nice if the program kept track of this, so that when you check off certain tasks as done, and then say "This is time for a new version," the program automatically feeds you the next version number.

It does keep track of version numbers... however, you have to select what version the bug was produced in. I like the idea of having it automatically telling you to go to a new version and adding it in, but I usually want to be the one that decides what version when. I don't know if I like the program doing it for me. But, it does have a place for you to keep track of what version the bug was produced in.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Hope they help. Again, I haven't seen your program yet, so this is blind advice.

Thanks for the input. I will look into the 'version' idea.

03-03-2004 at 10:14 PM
Scott
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 578
Why does this program need odbc? I have written visual c++ programs that access mysql on this pc and they work fine but this one when I run says it can't access the server.
03-03-2004 at 11:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bradwall
Scott wrote:
Why does this program need odbc? I have written visual c++ programs that access mysql on this pc and they work fine but this one when I run says it can't access the server.

Every program that I have done in Visual Basic and MySQL has required that the user downloads and installs the ODBC from the MySQL website. Not sure why, but I believe that it does. It is not a big download (under 400k, I believe).

03-04-2004 at 10:35 PM
bradwall
Scott wrote:

With the new version that I attached, you shouldn't need it now. I included a myodbc.dll file that should make it so that you don't need to download and install MyODBC.
03-12-2004 at 03:49 PM
bradwall
Just a new update for anyone who may have downloaded this:
The .dll that I added to the last update doesn't seem to completely work. You will need to download and install MyODBC from www.mysql.com. This is a small download, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

03-13-2004 at 05:18 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Testing my Project Manager
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com