Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : I'm back!
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
IP: Logged
icon I'm back! (+1)  
Hey everyone! I'm back!

After a loooong time of being away (far, far too long), I'm back. Hopefully, I'll once again be a regular here on the forum. Why, you ask, was I away for so long? Let be share...

I made the decision last semester to avoid all computer games (which included computer game forums) and concentrate instead on schoolwork. The school I'm going to, Webb Institute, is very difficult and requires a lot of work. I didn't manage to aviod DROD altogether though, seeing as how I had to play it because I was and still am addicted, and I also managed to hook 2 or 3 other guys on DROD. It paid off, though, seeing as how I was ranked 4th in the freshman class of 26 with an average of 91. Then, after that semester ended, I went away for my winter work term. All students at my school work for two months during the winter. Freshmen work in shipyards, so I was sent down to Jacksonville, FL, where I worked 60 hours a week at Atlantic Marine Inc. I was living in a hotel at that time, which meant that I had no internet connection at all. In addition, my laptop had crapped out on me right before I left, which involved having to format my harddrive and lose DROD. In other words, I was stuck for two months without DROD. Let me tell you, withdrawel was pretty tough. I'm back at Webb now, though, and I'm pleased to see how much has happened since I left. The community seems to have grown, and I can't wait to try out all the new holds and build my own!

Whew, that was longer than I expected. Anyway, I just wanted to greet everyone who joined after I left, and say hello to everyone who I knew back in the day, and say that I look forward to once again being a regular.

Incidently, the only thing I managed to salvage was my copy of drod1_5.dat from my old copy of Caravel DROD. Is there a way I can download the newest version of DROD and be able to use that .dat file so I don't have to beat DROD again?

[Edited by Malarame on 03-02-2004 at 05:33 PM GMT: Damn rules of grammar!]

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
03-02-2004 at 05:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: I'm back! (-1)  
I don't think so...I asked for it before and I wasn't able to.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
03-02-2004 at 06:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Koro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 74
icon Re: I'm back! (0)  
Malarame wrote:
Incidently, the only thing I managed to salvage was my copy of drod1_5.dat from my old copy of Caravel DROD. Is there a way I can download the newest version of DROD and be able to use that .dat file so I don't have to beat DROD again?

Yeah, I did the same thing once. The main rule is KEEP A COPY OF THE DATA FILE SOMEWHERE SAFE. Like in an unrelated directory or two. Now just overwriting the .dat file in Architect's Edition won't work, the game needs to convert it itself. So download and install 1.5 again. Overwrite the .dat file. Download and install 1.6.5 and point it to the 1.5 directory. It will ask you about converting. Say yes. Pray fervently. If all goes well, no data lost.

03-02-2004 at 07:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Malarame wrote:
Hey everyone! I'm back!
Buddy! Glad to have you back! Your name came up more than once while you were gone, and to the small extent a person can be missed on an internet forum, you were missed. Good idea to avoid DROD for a bit and focus on school.
Koro's advice is good, but if you can't easily find a 1.5 setup, then try these instructions:

1. In "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software" create a "Caravel" key. If there is already a "Caravel" key then you don't need to do this. (Same for the other instructions.)
2. In "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Caravel" create a "DROD" key.
3. In "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Caravel" create a "1_5" key.
4. In "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Caravel/1_5" create a "InstallLocation" string value.
5. Set the value of "InstallLocation" to match the path where drod1_5.dat is located, i.e. "c:\\OldDrodStuff". Just the directory is used here--no filename on the end.
6. Run a full installation of "DROD: Architects' Edition". You can install it to any directory you wish. It should prompt you to import your 1.5 data.

-Erik

03-02-2004 at 07:19 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Welcome Back, Malarame. I got here at a time when you were more myth than legend, so it's good to see an old-timer resurface every once in a while. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by some of the user-made holds. And Erik made one too.

03-02-2004 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Koro wrote:
Yeah, I did the same thing once. The main rule is KEEP A COPY OF THE DATA FILE SOMEWHERE SAFE. Like in an unrelated directory or two. Now just overwriting the .dat file in Architect's Edition won't work, the game needs to convert it itself. So download and install 1.5 again. Overwrite the .dat file. Download and install 1.6.5 and point it to the 1.5 directory. It will ask you about converting. Say yes. Pray fervently. If all goes well, no data lost.
Thanks Koro. Erik's instructions weren't working, so I did what you suggested and now it's working perfectly. For a few minutes I was worried that I'd have to go back and beat Dugan's dungeon again (not that that would be a bad thing, only time-consuming). Thanks again!

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
03-02-2004 at 08:47 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Oh yes, I forgot to say welcome.

Welcome back!

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
03-03-2004 at 05:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : I'm back!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com