Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Moderation.
Page 3 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
IP: Logged
icon Re: Moderation. (0)  
I like the idea of a moderation board, so long as it doesn't generate too many arguments.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
03-16-2004 at 12:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Hmm... I don't think I like having an independant Modding board. If you get modded down, you get modded down. Whether you understand it or not, as Erik said, it's really not something you should be dwelling on. I can too easily see such a forum degenerating in to a giant flame war about overall quality of forum member B's posts vs. forum member L's responses.

Modding is anonymous on purpose, let's keep it that way.

03-16-2004 at 12:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
It can still be anonymous, just like holds can be anonymous because they're announced by admin - just don't write in your name.

03-16-2004 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
Well, then you would have to create a new account, otherwise it would still say "Submitted by: Nillo" for example.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-16-2004 at 04:17 PM
DiMono
Well, do you think it's worthwhile to have a "post this hold anonymously" option?

03-16-2004 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
DiMono wrote:
Well, do you think it's worthwhile to have a "post this hold anonymously" option?
You can already do this. Just log out of (or don't log in to) the forum. If you do this, you won't be able to change any options or upload a new version, however.

03-16-2004 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Has anyone else noticed that participation on the forums has suffered a steep decline since the moderation was put in place? I think people fear the negative mod, and so are being overly cautious in what they say, if anything at all.

The modding system isn't in place to weed people out, it's there to help you improve your posting style. Don't fear a couple negatively modded posts: I have nine of them, and I'm still +25 overall in the system. The good posts you make later will balance out the learning experiences of a couple bad ones now, but you can't learn if you don't do.

I'd like to encourage everyone to continue posting as often as you would if the modding system weren't in place, and take it only as a measure of how much your posting style has improved.

03-18-2004 at 11:30 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Alternatively, you can get in contact with me or Schik (or indeed anyone else, but Schik and I are probably most helpful) at our various e-mail addresses (of course, webmaster@caravelgames.com and moderators@caravelgames.com will get there as well) and bring up any concerns you ahve with the system. We can't find out if and why people are being intimidated if we don't hear from them.

Matt

03-19-2004 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
leroy00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 155
icon Re: Moderation. (+1)  
I'm not really sure that people post less often because they feel intimidated by the system. I think they just post obviously useless or say-nothing posts less than in the past. This seems to me to be the intended function of the moderation system, that is weeding out bad posts. I don't, however, see any evidence of people being weeded out. The regular posters are all still here, and the casual posters most likely either won't notice or won't care about the mod system, as has been pointed out elsewhere.

-leroy

03-19-2004 at 09:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
Having been around BBS's for about 20 years, and forums such as this one since they became popular on the 'net, I can assure you that "useless and say-nothing posts" - otherwise known as small talk - are often the lifeblood of such places. Dissuade such posts and the place often becomes stagnant. If someone comes along and sees no posts for a couple of days, then they are likely not to post either. This is a generalisation of course, not everyone reacts the same. Moderators of some description are still needed on most boards, but this one doesn't seem to need any at all, let alone users "modding" each other. Of course, it is still possible for a thread to get hijacked unintentionally, but that can soon be rectified by Matt or Schik. No other moderation is needed in my not so humble opinion.
Just my two penn'orth folks.
03-19-2004 at 09:56 AM
leroy00
Rank Points: 155
When you say that seeing no new posts probably discourages casual posters, you are probably right. There are however seemingly few casual posters in the forum, and due to the nature of the forum, there will probably never be very many of them here. Note that I wasn't speaking my own point of view in the last post, but rather what I believe to be the motive for the installation of the mod system.

You probably recall there being several splurges of posts to the end "please don't write a post with just a smiley" or "please don't post just to say 'I agree'" or "you are just trying to raise you post count", because other posters, mostly those who have been here longer and are more active than you or I, were annoyed by such posts. And I guess if you log in eight times a day and you are all joyed about finally seeing a new post and it only being a smiley, you could get annoyed rather quickly. (As I only have time to check every couple of days and my connection is fast, it doesn't really bother me.) It is likely you understood "say-nothing posts" differently than it was meant, which was in a strictly literal sense. However, your point is well taken that no communication can really be considered entirely useless.

On another note, I would like to say that I find it rather unsportsmanlike to mod posts down on the "Anything" board, unless they are outright offensive. I can see something being modded up if it were found to be interesting or enlightening, but it is the "Anything" board.

-leroy

Edit: I also wanted to say I agree that this forum doesn't really benefit that much from a mod system, mainly because of the small number and high familiarity of the truly regular posters, but it seems that these posters are the ones who are most in favour of the system, which is a justification in its own right.

[Edited by leroy00 on 03-19-2004 at 01:01 PM GMT]

03-19-2004 at 12:58 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
The reason we put this system in place... oh heck, it's better if it sounds like a quote.

I think a problem we have here is this grey area where some people are making posts that are annoying, but not really abuse. Solutions like deleting the posts seem heavy-handed to me, although I had to think hard about what to do instead. Here is something I've been mulling for awhile. Haven't brought it up, because it seemed other things were more important and I didn't want to distract from them. I had this larger idea of creating a new scoring system used for contests and rewarding people. I'll try to trim it down, so the grandiose meter doesn't go into the red zone. Also note, that I'm not saying this is a silver bullet to fix everything--we still need some decent moderator action to keep real abuse from ruining the boards. This idea is meant as a tool to minimize all the petty little annoyances we seem to have now.

Matt

03-20-2004 at 06:42 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Who said that?

03-20-2004 at 01:24 PM
Nillo
He made the quote up. It's easy. Like this:
The Red Hawk wrote:
OMG ROFLMAO LOLOLOL!!!1

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-20-2004 at 04:28 PM
DiMono
I might have a bug for you track down, Schik. I have one post that's been modded down by 4 (which is a feat in and of itself, 14 mod points have been spent on that one post), which drops my overall down to +30, but it's showing as +27 in threads and in my profile. Unless I've had three more moddings down that aren't revealing themselves for some reason, I've lost three points to the abyss. I don't care about the points, but it seems to be a bug somewhere in the system that should be tracked down and stepped on.

[Edited by DiMono on 03-21-2004 at 12:07 AM GMT]

03-21-2004 at 12:06 AM
Schik
DiMono wrote:
Unless I've had three more moddings down that aren't revealing themselves for some reason, I've lost three points to the abyss. I don't care about the points, but it seems to be a bug somewhere in the system that should be tracked down and stepped on.
There are three places in the code where RankPoints are modified. One of them is when a user clicks the good/bad links. The second is in the Admin area of the forum. The third is in a function that isn't being used... yet.

If you're not seeing any new negatives in your modded post list, then I'd guess that either you've had previously positive posts modded down or an admin took away those three points. Since we haven't even really talked amonsgt ourselves about doing that, I doubt anyone would have done that.

03-21-2004 at 12:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
Well, since there seems to be a modest amount of antipathy surrounding this new system, I thought I might mention another that recently came to my attention that, so far, looks like THE best way of dealing with things that I've ever seen.

It's incredibly complicated, requiring lots of math and lots of parameters. Basically, everyone has a rank, like here (Roachling, Goblin, etc). That rank is the final outcome of all the calculations that are done, taking the final number and generating your rank text based on which "rank bracket" it's in. The rank is the only thing that's ever shown to other people; only you have access to your total post count and other relevant statistics.

Before the parameters, the modding system, or as it is here, the rating system. In this system, everyone can always rate posts, without any "cost" whatsoever, the theory here being that the intelligent majority will override the few unruly raters. You can only rate any given post once, but should you change your mind, you can also change your rating. Posts can be rated on a scale of one to five stars; each new post starts off "unrated" with no stars at all, and thus the first mod to the post will decide its star rating. (an unrated post is simply not taken into account for calculation purposes) Afterwards, the star rating is determined by taking the average of all ratings rounded to the nearest whole star. The rating of the topic-starting post is displayed in a separate column next to the title on the main board, much like the "Topic Starter" and "Last Post" columns now.

So here's how your ranking goes. Stated simply, it's a combination of (going from most influential to least) your total post count, your average post rating, the amount of time you've spent on the boards, the number of topics you've read, and the number of individual topics you've posted in. Obviously, much tweaking must go into making this system work, both on the calculation end and the ranking bracket end.

Now for the abuse-prevention system for each factor. "Amount of time spent on the boards" cannot be upped by simply sitting at the forums while you go have lunch; you must be actively moving through the boards for your time to count. This system comes with an auto-spammer-detector that boots people off the forums for a while if they make too many posts containing too little content in a short amount of time, preventing people from upping both the first and last factors indiscriminately. Average post rating cannot be abused since you have no control over it. Number of visited posts is only increased if you visit a post made within the last month or so, so you can't get your count up by visiting every post that was ever made on the forums. Plus, it's far enough down the list that even just visiting every post made within the last month will not get your ranking significantly increased.

So... see any potential flaws in the system? If we were to transition to it, by the way, everyone would keep their current ranking, and the number behind it would be set to the midpoint of that ranking bracket, whatever it may be. I also think that we should use brains in place of stars for rating posts. :D

03-21-2004 at 03:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
I see a flaw in that system.
Someone could create a lot of "fake" accounts and use them to rate other's posts. That could be horribly abused.

03-21-2004 at 04:15 PM
DiMono
Smitemaster doesn't have an upper range, so where would the middle be?

Edit: Schik, I just added up the goods and bads, and they add to +29. Given what you said, I think I can confirm that the second way of adding and removing mod points works just fine, thank you very much :)

[Edited by DiMono on 03-21-2004 at 04:26 PM GMT]

03-21-2004 at 04:22 PM
masonjason
Rank Points: 349
Nillo wrote:
I see a flaw in that system.
Someone could create a lot of "fake" accounts and use them to rate other's posts. That could be horribly abused.
Actually, you could do that now. Every new user gets 10 mod points, don't they?

03-21-2004 at 04:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
masonjason wrote:
Every new user gets 10 mod points, don't they?
WHAT? If that's true, it should be changed immediately!

03-21-2004 at 04:25 PM
Schik
Nillo wrote:
Good eye, Nillo. I considered a system like this, and that was one of the main reasons I decided against it.
Actually, you could do that now. Every new user gets 10 mod points, don't they?
No. A while back I gave all existing users 10 mod points, but new users start at 0 mod points, but 10 rank points.

03-21-2004 at 04:26 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Schik wrote:
Nillo wrote:
Good eye, Nillo. I considered a system like this, and that was one of the main reasons I decided against it.

Actually, I don't think that's a very compelling argument. Anyone doing so would be clearly blatently exploiting the system, and easy to catch - if someone's rank mysteriously rises while a lot of dummy accounts suddenly appear, lose all their rank posts modding, then never do anything again, it's not difficult to understand what's going on.

Problematic abuses are ones that either leave no evidence, or ones that can be taken advantage off innocently, by people not realizing they're doing anything wrong (say, if you could mod your own posts, people might not realize they shouldn't). Blatent abuses like the one above could probably be controlled socially and by moderator intervention, especially in a small community such as ours.

03-21-2004 at 05:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
eytanz wrote:
Actually, I don't think that's a very compelling argument. Anyone doing so would be clearly blatently exploiting the system, and easy to catch - if someone's rank mysteriously rises while a lot of dummy accounts suddenly appear, lose all their rank posts modding, then never do anything again, it's not difficult to understand what's going on.
If it were a horribly obvious exploitation, sure. But what if I create one new account every week? That's few enough to fly under the radar, but I could drastically change my own rating or anyone else's after a couple months. Any automatic detection of this is problematic, and I don't want to spend all of my time here looking out for this sort of abuse when I can simply avoid that abuse by having a system like the one we've set up.

03-21-2004 at 06:21 PM
Sokko
Rank Points: 336
Why not just check someone's reverse DNS, and only allow one account per computer that way? It's simple enough, has no drawbacks, and any potential abusers would have to locate a completely different computer to even register one extra account. While your IP address may be dynamically assigned by a dial-up connection, there are few cases where your reverse DNS changes along with it.

03-27-2004 at 01:23 PM
Schik
Sokko wrote:
Why not just check someone's reverse DNS, and only allow one account per computer that way? It's simple enough, has no drawbacks, and any potential abusers would have to locate a completely different computer to even register one extra account. While your IP address may be dynamically assigned by a dial-up connection, there are few cases where your reverse DNS changes along with it.
There's a ton of problems with that. First, it should be acceptable to have multiple family members having separate accounts. Second, dynamic IPs *would* be a problem - doing a reverse DNS lookup wouldn't solve anything. We could then have one person register from a certain IP, and then someone else gets that IP later and suddenly can't register for our forum, despite not ever having visited it before.

03-27-2004 at 02:00 PM
swann_88
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
not to mention I am sure there are many people in my situation
I have access to the internet through at least 5 different connections
03-29-2004 at 01:46 AM
DiMono
Could the order of the posts in the "My moderated posts" table be flipped, so the most recent ones are on top? When I go to the page, it's specifically to see what's been recently modded, and scrolling down to the bottom of the table is really quite inconvenient at times.

03-29-2004 at 03:02 PM
Drizzo
Rank Points: 179
Its been a while, but I gotta agree with DiMono on flipping the order of the moderated posts.

The real reason I'm posting this is to say that I am definitely glad there is no time limit on moderating posts. I find myself sometimes looking through old threads if I get too bored, or just delirious from lack of sleep and modding up posts that make me laugh, I find it amusing that someone may find themself with more points and check their list, and scratch their head over a post in august of '03... Perhaps I'll even remind them of a post they'd long forgotten about, since many of them are silly.

Seems to get me good mod karma too, every time I do so, I come back and find myself with more points shortly, thus further allowing me to spread + points. yay.

Wow, only one ... in that whole post, now two... er three
darnit
I'm trying to force myself to use single periods, the constant triples are a bad habit I've picked up that I seem only to use in forums or emails, never in my academic papers. But soon, SOON! I shall triumph!

04-04-2004 at 11:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
sebhaque wrote:
I have the same birthday as Onieromancer :D

Why is this relevant to this Moderation thread?

08-09-2004 at 12:14 AM
Page 3 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Moderation.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com