Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD Description in your language
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
leroy00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 155
IP: Logged
icon DROD Description in your language (0)  
I did a search last week for DROD limiting to sites in Germany or in German and was disappointed to find none. What I did find was at least 20 links (and I am sure there are a lot more) that showed a download of DROD. When you go to the page, you have to register to do anything, even search, which makes one rather wary to start with. You get a pop-up in which you have to type "OK" in a box, sort of like the code thing at Underdogs or the like. Only if you click on the small print can you read that doing so installs a dailer which automatically logs you in via their home site, adding an additional charge of €1,99 (presently about $2.50 for you isolationists) per minute on top of whatever else you have to pay for internet access. I don't suppose there is anything anyone here can do about it, but I find it really sleazy, because I am pretty sure that this "OK-Box" is an attempt to trick those who are familiar with the common download security codes and who might not read the fine print. All of these sites belong to the same guy (whose name and address is displayed on the "terms and conditions" pop-up); he probably registered a lot more domains than that.

On the other hand, I found two sites sporting dead links to Version 1.4, http://www.win2000archiv.de/ and his brother
http://www.soft2000.de/; perhaps someone could convince them to link here. (If I had more knowledge of such things, I'd do it myself; if there is a need, I could prepare a German text.) I also found a site with a direct download for AE under the following address: http://web3.e12804.i-p-x.de. This site also offers game descriptions in at least eight languages, but only in English for DROD. Maybe someone could collect descriptions in those languages and convince them to post them there.

-leroy, doing what is in his power to further the world domination of DROD

02-23-2004 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: DROD Description in your language (0)  
Leroy, I've uploaded DROD:AE to three German sites so far. I forget which ones they were. I used the German translation you provided me, but only one of the sites accepted German descriptions for a game that is in English. In other words, two of the sites wanted English text for English-language games and German text for German-language games. I sent e-mails to these two sites asking if they would like to instead have German text, but didn't receive a reply back. (Not surprised--most software download sites receive so many submissions that the work involved with personal responses is too overwhelming.)

There are several other German sites still on my list and I plan to submit your translated text wherever possible. I agree that the sites that turn up in your search results are somewhat disappointing.
On the other hand, I found two sites sporting dead links to Version 1.4, http://www.win2000archiv.de/ and his brother
http://www.soft2000.de/; perhaps someone could convince them to link here.
Usually the best way to get anything done with download sites is to just submit a new entry using whatever process the site has set up. I'm going to write down the addresses of the sites you list in this post in case they aren't already in my database. I use this program called "SharewareTracker" and it downloads a large list of sites along with submission info from a company that maintains it. I would really like to handle the submissions myself, because I can more easily keep track of where everything has been submitted and make sure it gets updated again later. If you happen to see any more German sites that you think DROD should be on, maybe you could post the URLs and I'll try to make sure DROD gets submitted to them.
This site also offers game descriptions in at least eight languages, but only in English for DROD. Maybe someone could collect descriptions in those languages and convince them to post them there.
So far I've seen high-traffic sites on my list that accept Spanish, Italian, French, and Portuguese. I would hesitate to ask for any other language translations, because I'm afraid of wasting the effort. The translation requirements (I need text that fits in a PAD format file) are fairly specific and if anyone feels kind enough to volunteer to translate about 400 words from English to another language, please let me know.

Actually, I'm just going to post the requirements right after this message so people can see exactly what it is that needs to be done.

-Erik

02-23-2004 at 07:08 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon PAD fields needed for translation. (0)  
There is a file format called "PAD" for submitting software to websites and other repositories that will host it. Not every website uses it, but many do, and my SharewareTracker program that partially automates the submission process uses it to store information. The text below corresponds to values required by the PAD file format. If you would like to perform a translation that I can use to submit DROD:AE to sites in languages other than English, here is the text that needs translation:

Keywords (60 characters max)
puzzle,dungeon,explore,monsters,game,thinking,sword,classic,logic,rooms,difficult
45 characters max description
Puzzling game of dungeon exploration!
80 characters max description
Fight monsters, explore and build dungeons in this classic puzzle game!
250 characters max description
Grab your sword and start chopping your way to the bottom of a vast dungeon! This challenging puzzle game is easy to learn, and you can wait as long as you wish between moves, so play is relaxed. Build your own dungeons with the new level editor!
450 characters max description
Grab your sword and start chopping your way to the bottom of a vast dungeon! Learning how to play is simple--you move Beethro in one of eight directions or rotate his sword. You can wait as long as you like before moving, and logical problem-solving is paramount, but the game still has a sense of action as you lay waste to hordes of nasties. When you finish exploring (ha!), you can also build your own dungeons with the new level editor.
2000 characters max description
Grab your sword and start chopping your way to the bottom of a vast dungeon! Learning how to play is simple--you move Beethro in one of eight directions or rotate his sword clockwise or counter-clockwise. Examine a detailed overhead view of an underground room, and plan Beethro's movements with care, always keeping his sword between him and the critters. You can wait as long as you like before moving, and logical problem-solving is paramount, but the game still has a sense of action as you lay waste to hordes of nasties. Each room of the dungeon is a handcrafted challenge for you to complete, with chambers and corridors purposefully designed to befuddle. In DROD you will find numerous game elements, some of which I can guarantee you've never seen in any other game. There is a huge amount of exploration in wait for you, but if you should complete Dugan's Dungeon or would simply like a break from it, you can also try your hand at architecting your own dungeons with the new level editor. DROD has been praised by many for its originality, and has enjoyed a growing cult following since 1997. If you've never played the game, well... you just have to! If you've already seen it, check out the latest incarnation of this classic puzzler. This is a from-scratch rewrite of the original with years of work put into it by several developers.

Note that descriptions must fit under the character limit in order to be usable. It is okay to use your judgment and remove less important facts if needed to get under the limit. For tradeoff dilemmas between accuracy and good style, aim for the latter. It is more important to write an appealing description than to get it exact.

-Erik

02-23-2004 at 07:20 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD Description in your language
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com