Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Bad Evil Restaurant (Exiting)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

2.9/10 (100 votes)
σ 3.10
Author Name:Saul Glasman
Submitted By:masonjason
Hold Name:Bad Evil Restaurant
Theme:Exiting
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:13
Number of Monsters:1717
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+1 / -1)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Bad Evil Restaurant.hold (9.1 KB)
Downloaded 3397 times.
License: Other
icon Bad Evil Restaurant  
lookit
Amazing reviews include:

OMGbest hole evr!!!!1!!1
-Nillo

Lol... you do a very good "Fresh exuberant brainless bandwidth-wasting newbie" impression.
-Joker5

how did you get the neather?
-Sims5000

Packed with enthralling special features and breathtaking, challenging gameplay!
The Bad Evil Restaurant is finally here!
02-21-2004 at 11:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Bad Evil Restaurant (0)  
I know it's a joke, but as a serious person, I've got to say this:

Warning: The opinions expressed below are those of a serious person. Although they may not be the same as the general public's reaction, I just feel this has to be said.

<Opinion>

I think this is one of the most pointless and annoying holds I have ever seen.

Really, I cannot understand why anyone would want to make something like this in the first place, except purely to annoy. Even some of the holds I have played that I thought bad do not come close to this.

I just don't understand it at all.

</Opinion>

OK. So I've had a little moan. I really don't mean offence to you at all, and for a joke, I can appreciate that it might be funny to those who see the humour. Unfortunately, I do not, and advise that you place more of a warning to others about the content of this hold, lest it annoys someone else as much as it did me (Although its effects are probably amplified by lack of sleep).

02-21-2004 at 11:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
No offence taken.
Everybody take heed of Agaricus's warning: this hold may get on your nerves.
Enjoy. :)

[Edited by masonjason on 02-22-2004 at 12:03 AM GMT]

02-21-2004 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Wow. I'm actually quoted in something.

That being said, there are several rooms that are impossible, the exit can be accessed simply by running through all the rooms, the scrolls are awful, there are no puzzles to speak of, and the stairs lead... back to the start.

The only reason this was submitted was as a joke. So to forestall a lot of flames I'd just like to say if you don't like it.... WE ALL UNDERSTAND. No need to post that this hold stinks.

On the other hand some of the individual ROOMS are fairly fun, even if they could be longer, more complex, less slashfest, etc.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
02-22-2004 at 02:45 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Indeed, this hold is only worth anything as a joke. My favourite room is the one with the neefer.

02-22-2004 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SKWERLL
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
It's Happy it's STUPID it's a cool stupid joke :yes

The best hold in the world!
02-25-2004 at 04:18 AM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
The theme says "Exiting". Is the whole hold about exiting?

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
02-25-2004 at 08:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I think it's supposed to be a misspelling of "exciting"

02-25-2004 at 12:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CrazyDiamond
Rank Points: 38
Why making an hold which is impossible to end??

06-29-2004 at 09:52 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I just noticed this hold has been rated 19 times. So many people expressing their opinions! This is what democracy is all about... and free coffee.

06-30-2004 at 12:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
icon Re: Bad Evil Restaurant (+2)  
My other hold has been rated only 3 times *cries*
But this one is ONE HELLUVA LOT MORE IMPORTANT anyway. because it is the only whone where you cvan go to ROty hold before the Baaaaar is fulL: yes.

06-30-2004 at 01:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
icon Re: Bad Evil Restaurant (+1)  
This hold is definitely more important, it's perhaps the single most important piece of postmodernist hold-art ever created. The angst and disillusionment symbolized in the anti-puzzles combined with the deep satirical social commentary of the scrolls has definitely enshrined "Bad Evil Restaurant" up there with works like "Guernica" and "Crime and Punishment" yet in some ways, it outshines them all.

06-30-2004 at 02:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
masonjason
You see, that's what's so great about the DROD community: the people here know fine art when they see it. :)

06-30-2004 at 10:57 AM
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
"Ketchup and Puppies" was better.
07-20-2004 at 03:57 AM
Ameph
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
Well. It's safe to say that this hold :thumbsdown

It's not even a hold.

07-21-2004 at 07:19 AM
masonjason
You see? The people love it!

07-21-2004 at 09:42 AM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
A little odd hold. Some rooms are comletly unfair (100 monsters against you). I have not any clue how to do. But maybe this rooms are just traps. The difficulty was even lower than mine hold....
But those scrolls were just funny and its a really joky hold.

Funny, not good. :?
01-03-2005 at 06:46 PM
nondescript
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
it's not funny at all, and since it isn't good either that doesn't leave it with much
01-22-2005 at 11:46 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
nondescript wrote:
it's not funny at all, and since it isn't good either that doesn't leave it with much
I don't know, but perhaps this hold's taken enough battering as it is.

I understand that I posted the first comment myself, and it's frankly very negative, so I could be viewed as a hypocrite in some way, but really, all negative comments since then have been just variants on each other, and don't really add anything to the discussion.

I think it's time to let go a little. All the comments in this thread should be sufficient to speak for everybody now, so it shouldn't be necessary to criticise the hold any more. It's gotten what it deserves, I think, but let's not step over the line and over-do it.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:01-23-2005 at 12:09 AM]

01-23-2005 at 12:08 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
This holed is GREAT!!1 especally with the cool jtrh graphix!!!

exept i couldnt kill the neefer. :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~(

I HAVE the hi score on everyroom!!! just try to beat me - i bet you cant! hahahahaha!

you shoud do a second one but with wubbers and all the new stuff!!
04-09-2005 at 06:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
lol!!!!11one
04-12-2005 at 11:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SKWERLL
I remember when I had DROD and I played this. It was ridiculously easy and stupid, but it was awesome. I give it a 1 (difficulty) and a 10 (coolness).

The new beta mac version of DROD should be ready soon. When it's ready, I'll start playing it.

08-03-2005 at 09:18 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Why, it's ready now. Pick it up on the DROD.net Downloads page.

And thanks for bringing this hold up. Reminded me to pick up that "Return to the Bad Evil Restauraunt" hold that brian_s(?) made.

08-03-2005 at 10:08 PM
SKWERLL
I'll finally download DROD and get it working on my mac… as soon as I get home. It works on Tiger, right?

08-03-2005 at 10:23 PM
neveragain
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
This hold is one of the worst 3 holds I've ever played. Way too tedious, way too annoying and way too stupid.

1 Overall
1 Brain
07-29-2009 at 03:05 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
That's the idea - it's everything you shouldn't do.
07-29-2009 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Wait, there's worse holds?
08-02-2009 at 06:16 AM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
NiroZ wrote:
Wait, there's worse holds?

This hold is rated 2.5 brains and 2.4 for fun. sam8 was rated 2 for brains and 1.8 for fun. So yeah, there are worse rated holds on the boards, and rating is directly caused by hold value (and many people have played both, their opinions can be trusted).

Bad Evil Restaurant is mainly about the gross ability of non-puzzle monster rooms. sam8 is about rooms with no challenge but are grossly hard to work through. Plus, sam8 includes random scripting, bad scripting, rooms with no purpose, numerous spelling errors, horrible lighting, and no finishing touches.

By that definition, Bad Evil Restaurant would be rated much better if that and sam8 were the only two holds on the holds board (and let's thank our other architects they're not).

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 06-13-2010 05:35 PM]
08-02-2009 at 07:22 AM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
It is time for me to start commenting on one of the worst holds in DRODly architecture. I already know this was intentionally built to annoy for comedic purposes, but I will grade like a serious player it as if this were a serious hold.

Bad Evil Restaurant: Entrance Already, I can tell this is going to be bad because of the scroll. Oh well. The room was easy. The number of invisibility potions was a bit unnecessary, as was the trapdoor and open yellow door. None of these add much to the room decor.
Bad Evil Restaurant: Once North Absolutely impossible. If not because of the overwhelming quantity of monsters, but the fact that many of these roaches are blocked by pit, preventing the player from ever conquering the room. I can't say I like the scroll, either.
Bad Evil Restaurant: Once East Same deal with the scroll. This room is impossible by the way.
Bad Evil Restaurant: Once North Once East Without any checkpoints, this room becomes particularly unfun. In short, I don't intend to play this room, even though it is possible.
Bad Evil Restaurant: Once South I like eggnog. I don't think I'd much like pastrami spider goblin eggnog. This room was trivially easy. The tarstuff does not add anything to the room.
Bad Evil Restaurant: Once South Once East If this room is possible, it would take a lot of excellent smitery and patience to conquer it. I don't have much of either when it comes to bad holds. I'll skip it.
Bad Evil Restaurant: Twice South Just some scrolls and a bunch of trapdoors with nothing behind the trapdoor gate. The scrolls don't make much sense, so I will designate this room "pointless".
Bad Evil Restaurant: Once South Once West This room was trivial as well. However, there was something that caught my eye. One of the scrolls says "fully minimiks!!!!1!11!!1". Perhaps this is a prophecy towards the arrival of minimike98? I've never noticed that scroll before, so I can't be sure it wasn't an change of the hold after minimike98 proved his worth here.
Bad Evil Restaurant: Once West The scroll made little sense. The room was very easy.
Bad Evil Restaurant: Once North Once West The maze... wasn't all that difficult. The scroll was, yet again, overly dramatic.
Bad Evil Restaurant: Twice North Once West Not exactly what I pictured Rooted Hold as being.
Bad Evil Restaurant: Twice North Twice West Broken "'neefer", as MasonJason called it. Because any architect can copy this hold, any architect can have full control over the 'neather. This makes playing all the way through AE unnecessary. Oh yeah, the room is impossible, since there is no way to kill the 'neather, and the considered the 'neather to be a monster.
Bad Evil Restaurant: Once North Twice West These scrolls make a bit more sense, fortunately. Time to leave the hold! Yay!

From a serious player's point of view, this hold is bull plop. From a non-serious player's point of view, this is still bull plop. From a learning architect's point of view, this hold is a great teacher of what not to do in DRODly architecture. In the beginning of the post, I said I would be taking the role of a serious player. Therefore, here are my reviews.

0.5 brains
1 fun
400/100 approval rating (BEST HOLD EVAR!!!)

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 06-13-2010 05:40 PM]
06-13-2010 at 05:35 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
This hold is, to quote Banjooie just now, "goddamn genius". Don't listen to this man, he's stuffy. And an Archivist. A stuffy Archivist.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 06-13-2010 11:25 PM]
06-13-2010 at 05:38 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Bad Evil Restaurant (Exiting)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com