Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : "Discuss" link for pages.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon "Discuss" link for pages. (0)  
I would like for there to be an easy way to place a "discuss" link at the bottom of any page on the site. If you click on the link it would take you to a topic for discussion of the page you are looking at. If no topic exists, a new one would be created. Maybe the link is something like:

www.drod.net/forum/discusspage.php?BoardID=9&Subject="Architect's Toolkit #3: Don't Fear Anyone Edit" by Chris Marks

Eh... the subject value needs URL-encoding, but you get my gist.

Perhaps, it is better to show the number of replies already made in order to entice people to go read them. (Like we do with news articles.) In that case, we could have a PHP file containing a function that gets included into the page, and then a function call like...

OutputDiscussLink(9, """Architect's Toolkit #3: Don't Fear Anyone Edit"" by Chris Marks" ) ;

Hmm. I should be quiet about how to implement it, since Schik's going to have the same or better ideas if he decides to do it. Anyhow, I thought about this when reading Chris' article. If you write something that goes on the website, it's nice to have people talking about it. The discuss link makes site pages more interesting for viewer, but more importantly, it adds incentive for people to author something for the website.

BTW, DiMono's article is quite nice--it focuses on one aspect of architecture that deserves a little exploration. It's not obvious to a newcomer what all the ramifications of editing privileges are, so I was happy to see this article.

-Erik

02-13-2004 at 07:48 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: "Discuss" link for pages. (0)  
I was actually a little confused that this was AT #3, to tell you the truth, because when I submitted it I was told it would be number 4 after someone else's article.

I agree with the idea though, as it would give an open forum to discuss whatever has been written. I think we'd probably want it to reside in the Architecture forum, for the AT articles, though. :)

02-13-2004 at 08:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
I was planning on writing one, I got all excited about it and wrote a few paragraphs, and then 5 million things in real life came crashing down on me and I never got around to finishing it. Matt hasn't bugged me about it since and so it will languish for a while, I imagine. Sorry 'bout that.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-13-2004 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
ErikH2000 wrote:
I would like for there to be an easy way to place a "discuss" link at the bottom of any page on the site. If you click on the link it would take you to a topic for discussion of the page you are looking at. If no topic exists, a new one would be created.
Yeah, we talked about this a long time ago. I'll keep it in mind and think about a good way to do it.

02-13-2004 at 11:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Seems to me a simple way to do this would be to start the thread manually, and then just put a link to it on the bottom of the page. admin could make a post with a brief summary of the article, and then ti's just a simple link.

02-14-2004 at 12:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Oneiromancer wrote:
I was planning on writing one, I got all excited about it and wrote a few paragraphs, and then 5 million things in real life came crashing down on me and I never got around to finishing it. Matt hasn't bugged me about it since and so it will languish for a while, I imagine. Sorry 'bout that.

You did say you might have some distractions, and to be quite honest we both had some distractions. I can't fault you either. Take as long as you need.

Just saying again, feel free to write an Architect's Toolkit. I don't have a buffer any more.

Matt

02-14-2004 at 05:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Mattcrampy wrote:
Just saying again, feel free to write an Architect's Toolkit. I don't have a buffer any more.
If a time arises that you feel would be a good time to put up another toolkit, but you don't have any, just let me know and I'll toss another one together. That might be the most awkward sentence I've ever written...

02-14-2004 at 05:47 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : "Discuss" link for pages.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com