Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Strange installation question
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Strange installation question (0)  
I just installed DROD on a school computer, against my better judgement, and I noticed something:

The installer complained about not being able to access the registry, but I was still able to play. What does DROD do in the registry that it complained about??

02-09-2004 at 05:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Strange installation question (0)  
For the purposes of automatic updates between versions, I think... IIRC you weren't around in the beta so may not remember the screen which automatically updated 1.5 data to 1.6. Of course, whether it's used for anything else I don't know.

"Oook!"
02-09-2004 at 06:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
DROD's registry information is placed here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Caravel/DROD

If you are not familiar with how the registry is organizes, it works kind of like file folders but folders are called "keys" instead. A key can contain other keys. We do not change any keys that preexisted befored the DROD installation. It all goes in the new "Caravel/DROD" key that you see above.

Inside of the "DROD" key, we keep one key for each version of DROD that was installed on this computer. So if you installed versions 1.5 and 1.6, you will have .../DROD/1_5 and .../DROD/1_6 keys.

Inside each of these two keys are the following values:
"InstallLocation" - Where DROD.EXE and other files are located on your disk.
"Version" - The exact version of the executable including the build#. So it will be something like "1.6.5 Build 49".

And that's all we put, and maybe all we will ever have. The registry entries tend to work as a bootstrap for the installer to find the location of your dat files. The thinking is that once the "official" location of DROD is known, all other settings can be found there, so we don't bother to put more things into the registry.

-Erik

02-09-2004 at 06:52 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Cool, thanks for explicating.

02-09-2004 at 09:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Strange installation question
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com