Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : RayGun is no more. Read the sad, sordid tale here.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
IP: Logged
icon RayGun is no more. Read the sad, sordid tale here. (0)  
Basically, the post was generating a lot of hard feelings and insults being directed at other people. I never like it when that happens, especially when I feel like I started the whole mess because I posted the topic in the first place. So let's quit flaming each other and just take the ideas as they come. I don't ever want to hear the word R**G** again, it's already being abused far too much. Arrogance, people. It's killing us.

So please... the insinuations, the insults, the flames, they all have to stop. I could point fingers too, sure, but I'd rather we all get along here on the forums, or at least have some kind of mutual respect for the people we think are annoying.

Also, read Erik's new sticky post. It's quite good.

*Before you say anything, I do have the post saved on my hard drive, and I WON'T bring it back or give it to anyone without a VERY good reason.

02-08-2004 at 08:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: RayGun is no more. Read the sad, sordid tale here. (0)  
You know, if you start a thread, and then delete it after there are already replies, politeness says that you should edit your post to remove the content, not delete the entire thread.

I, for one, don't enjoy having posts of mine which I spent time and thought on being deleted just because you had second thoughts about what you said.

02-09-2004 at 01:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Aris Katsaris
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
Sokko, I agree with eytanz - that the forum gives you the capability to delete an entire thread which many different people contributed to, doesn't mean that it is a *good* idea to do so.

Eytanz, since I subscribed to the Feature Requests board, I have had all the posts of that thread emailed to me. Do you want me to forward your posts to you? Or even the posts of that entire thread if you want me to?

If you do, then email me (or send me a PM) with your email.

---

For everyone else, and for posterity's sake, here are the 9 original rules posted by Sokko:

Sorry, Aris, but I don't think we're helping anybody by having the raygun post hang around, especially after Sokko decided to take it back; so I'm deleting them. Don't take it personally.

As a sidenote, if this thread gets deleted by Sokko again, then I'll simply post these rules in a new thread of my own which will not get deleted -- unless ofcourse the mods and Erik object to me doing that.

Yes, we do, somewhat. Thank you for your concern.

[Edited by Mattcrampy on 02-09-2004 at 08:27 AM GMT: Well, uh, look up.]
02-09-2004 at 02:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Aris - That's no better; posting someone else's words against their wishes is as bad than deleting someone else's words, and probably worse.

Anyway, I'm sorry now I said anything. In the future, I'd prefer it that people (excluding moderators) don't delete my posts without at least informing me in advance; but that's where I think my involvement here should end.

[Edited by eytanz on 02-09-2004 at 02:47 AM GMT]

02-09-2004 at 02:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I would claim that since the words were posted in the first place, doing it again does not automatically go against the posters' wishes. I also find it impressively ironic that Sokko's attempt to end people being upset has caused people to be upset. Eat your heart out, Alanis Morissette.

All that said, Matt made a post that I really wanted to stay around. He said quite bluntly that we, as non-developers, have absolutely no idea what's in 1.7 and what's not, and that it's foolish to say with certainty that anything is in or out. That was a point that I feel had to be made, as I'm sure many of us have been making assumptions on what's in 1.7 and actually planning for uses for them.

02-09-2004 at 03:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
DiMono wrote:
All that said, Matt made a post that I really wanted to stay around. He said quite bluntly that we, as non-developers, have absolutely no idea what's in 1.7 and what's not, and that it's foolish to say with certainty that anything is in or out. That was a point that I feel had to be made, as I'm sure many of us have been making assumptions on what's in 1.7 and actually planning for uses for them.

Well, I don't think we say anything with *absolute* certainty, just nearly. In my case, on the FR board, it's just planning ahead, just *in case* that particular thing get in.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-09-2004 at 05:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
I concur. I kinda doubt anyone planned whole holds based on one key feature... Ok, so I doubt anyone ADVERTISED whole holds based on one key feature. It's not evil to plan, just evil to base large plans on something that may or may not exist.

That having been said, I'm pretty sure that a few people already have thought of a few lynchpins based on, say, adders, already.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
02-09-2004 at 06:05 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
joker5 wrote:
That having been said, I'm pretty sure that a few people already have thought of a few lynchpins based on, say, adders, already.

I have, certainly. For me, just reading the description brought a few puzzles to mind.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-09-2004 at 06:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
I also find it impressively ironic that Sokko's attempt to end people being upset has caused people to be upset.

Don't rub it in. I'm already having a major guilt trip as it is.

I think... checking now... yes, Erik did mention that in his new sticky post.

02-09-2004 at 11:13 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Sokko wrote:
Don't rub it in. I'm already having a major guilt trip as it is.
Buddy, you're too hard on yourself. Don't worry about it! :D

-Erik

02-12-2004 at 08:24 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Contraversial topics generate contraversy, it's just how it is. Walk in to a hard rock record store and proclaim your love for Avril Lavigne's music, and see what happens :)

02-12-2004 at 07:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
:offtopic : I found it highly amusing having girl-mag headlines proclaiming that Ms. Lavigne was different and real when she had the exact same fakey scream picture on every magazine.

Matt

02-13-2004 at 06:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Mattcrampy wrote:
:offtopic : I found it highly amusing having girl-mag headlines proclaiming that Ms. Lavigne was different and real when she had the exact same fakey scream picture on every magazine.

Matt
Now I KNOW you're not dissing the girl from up the road...

Does anyone else find it amusing that Michelle Branch writes more mature lyrics than Avril Lavigne, but Avril gets all the attention?

Edit: Oh, and could some kind admin move Matt's and my posts to a new thread in the anything forum, so we don't have a blatantly off-topic discussion going on? :)

[Edited by DiMono on 02-13-2004 at 02:27 PM GMT]

02-13-2004 at 02:27 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : RayGun is no more. Read the sad, sordid tale here.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com