Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Post per day count
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Post per day count (0)  
I've just noticed something. Right now, my posts per day is about 6.99x. It's been substantially more than 6 for quite some time now. A couple days ago, I made 2 posts, and my posts per day count went up, even though 2 posts is less than 6. Is there some insight that can be given?

01-30-2004 at 04:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Post per day count (0)  
Sure.

At the beginning of any day, your posts per day will go down, as the demoninator of that fraction is increasing. Then as you post, the numerator is increasing, thus the ratio goes up. It doesn't wait until the end of the day to add things to the stats - it's counted whenever it's requested. If you could plot the ratio over time, it would jump up whenever you posted, and drop down every time a new day occurred.

01-30-2004 at 04:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Right, that makes sense. Out of curiosity, what time is considered the start of the day? midnight GMT? EST? PDT?

Edit: Today I've gone from tenth in posts to eigth, in one sitting. Woohoo! Oneiromancer, prepare to be dethroned! Yeah, get off that toilet

[Edited by DiMono on 01-30-2004 at 04:15 PM GMT]

01-30-2004 at 04:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
DiMono wrote:
Right, that makes sense. Out of curiosity, what time is considered the start of the day? midnight GMT? EST? PDT?
It's actually the number of 24-hour periods you've been a member of the forum. So your day starts whenever you signed up for the forum.

I suppose I could count partial days to get rid of the jump down every 24 hours, but that would be so far down on my list of to-dos it wouldn't even register.

01-30-2004 at 04:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
DiMono wrote:
Edit: Today I've gone from tenth in posts to eigth, in one sitting. Woohoo! Oneiromancer, prepare to be dethroned! Yeah, get off that toilet.

If you want the toilet that badly, then I think you just might deserve it. Don't expect me to clean it out first though...every time I read a post ascribing importance to being ahead of everyone else my stomach gets upset.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-30-2004 at 04:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Oneiromancer wrote:
every time I read a post ascribing importance to being ahead of everyone else my stomach gets upset.
I should think that, given I called it a toilet, whether I care about this would have been clear (though I'll feel silly if you were making a dry humour joke and I just didn't get it). Besides, Red Hawk's much closer to that toilet than I.

01-30-2004 at 08:20 PM
Oneiromancer
Well, yeah, I didn't mean that you were the only one who was saying these things. I was kind of being tongue-in-cheek (butt-in-bowl?), but I also don't think it's true that you don't completely care about it...previous comments have borne this out. Unless you were being humorous every single time, or my memory is extremely faulty. If you used to care but don't anymore, I understand that too...I remember being pleased at overtaking those who had been ahead of me before, but more often than not someone else made a big deal about my post count instead of me mentioning it. The biggest exception I can think of was when Eytan went to Europe and I said I'd be ahead of him before he got back...which would have required 9 posts a day and didn't really come close to happening.

I'm gonna lay my cards on the table now, Chris...I think you're an intelligent person, and you have a lot to offer this community, and I enjoy and agree with many of your posts...but I also think your ego is out of control sometimes. You are not as important as you seem to think you are, and I think you need to learn a little humility. So, when I read your previous post I kind of snapped a little and just had to reply in a mean way. I can't change you, I don't necessarily think I should, but I can at least make you aware of how others (I'm not the only one) feel.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-30-2004 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Well, to lay my own cards on the table, it's not so much that my ego is big as I'm very opinionated on a lot of things, and I will not back down if someone challenges my opinions or my beliefs. It might come across as ego, or as thinking I'm all high-and-mighty, but I can't really control that since my own views of what I write are, by definition, slanted.

And my comments on winning the posting race have always been tongue-in-cheek, I really don't care if I reach the top or not. I check the statistics every so often to see what my posts per day is, and ranking just happens to be there too, so I have some fun with it. Besides, how could I ever hope to compete with all of Red Hawk's single smiley/word posts?

Now, just like you can't change me, I can't change how you interpret what I say, but I'll give you a little insight to the workings of my mind: Everything is fodder for parody. If one of my posts seems over the top in some way, odds are I'm being silly or sarcastic. Especially if it's a short post, as I tend to go on and on about things when I have something to say. Like the RayGun! feature request :D

So thanks for saying what you said, I think everyone needs to hear something like that once in a while, and I'll see ya on the chronostream, time jockey!

Edit: I agree it's a bit of a rush passing people, but the only goal I'm sort of striving toward is the 1000 post mark, just because it's ...well... a LOT of posts. I actually did the math recently, and the ten of us who have more than 500 posts have about 62% of all posts on the forum.

[Edited by DiMono on 01-30-2004 at 09:35 PM GMT]

01-30-2004 at 09:23 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Space Quest 4 reference gets Chris a cookie.

However, may I remind you all that your dinner jacket is undignified.

Oneiros, although you're a bonafide regular here, it doesn't give you the right to shoot your mouth of at other people for their failings. It's important to remember that not everyone is as capable at some things as others, so you really can't criticise someone for the way they carry themselves - especially on the Internet, where people often don't act themselves thanks to the relative anonymity.

DiMono, I suggest you step back and have a good look at what the postcount actually means. It's a number, tracking not the quality of your posts but the quantity. This community is small enough that quality is much more regarded, and noticed, so it won't matter to you at all how high your postcount is if you're accepted - and you won't get acceptance just by posting everywhere, as Oneiromancer's previous post kind of points out. Anyone can spam the boards or make 'me too' posts all over the place, but what people will notice here is what you say and how you say it.

Some of our other guests here on DROD.net would do well to remember that.

Matt

01-31-2004 at 12:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Post per day count (+2)  
I'm surprised at you, Matt. Chris took my criticisms with a much better attitude than you did. I was trying to tell him the way I felt in the same way that you explain to one of your friends that they have really bad B.O. You want to be nice about it, but you just gotta say what you feel. After his response to my post, I felt that both of us had a better understanding of each other, and that nothing more needed to be said.

And by the way, it boggles my mind when you say I don't have the "right" to shoot my mouth off. This is a public discussion forum, and while there are some things I could probably do to get banned, within those rules the speech is pretty much free. If I post something that others disagree with I would find it perfectly reasonable for them to say so...but not to be told that I have no "right" to say it.

I think I'll restrain myself now.

Game on,

01-31-2004 at 12:47 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Biscuits anyone? Tea and cookies?

02-03-2004 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
zex20913 wrote:
Biscuits anyone? Tea and cookies?
Where do you think we've all been for the last 4 days? ;)

02-04-2004 at 01:19 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: Post per day count (+1)  
DiMono wrote:
Besides, how could I ever hope to compete with all of Red Hawk's single smiley/word posts?

Hey! ;)

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-07-2004 at 03:52 PM
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
^^^^^ Perfect example. I believe the pun was intended. :P

02-08-2004 at 08:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Yes, it was. :)

[Edited by The_Red_Hawk on 02-11-2004 at 07:03 PM GMT]

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-11-2004 at 07:00 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Post per day count
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com