Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Brains
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
IP: Logged
icon Brains (+10)  
Just wondering a thing about brains and the use of force arrows. Basically what I wanted was a room with a brain in it, with the following:
There is a roach and snake passing along this corridor, which has two openings allowing them to get at Beethro. I wanted the "brainy" roach to go down the first one, but wanted the serpent to pass by that one and use the second.. so I used a force arrow in the first opening, as the snake can't pass over that..

But it seems that, even if there is a path from the roach (or any monster) to you, it won't take it if that path requires going through a force arrow (pointing the correct way).. is this right or did i just design something wrong? is there any way to get around this problem? (having a roach and a snake take different paths to you)?

[Edited by TripleM on 01-30-2004 at 05:20 AM GMT]
01-30-2004 at 05:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
icon Re: Brains (0)  
Its a known bug/feature. Not sure which it is. Brained roaches will not cross force arrows until beethro has crossed the arrow.

Edit
There is a way to make a roach take a different path. If the turning to the shorter path is a diagonal the snake can't take the turn.

[Edited by Scott on 01-30-2004 at 05:28 AM GMT]
01-30-2004 at 05:26 AM
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
TripleM wrote:
is there any way to get around this problem?
I have a room in my hold The Killing Jar (1N1W) that uses brains, queens/roaches and force arrows. What I did for that one was insert red doors and a couple trap doors placed so that you need to cross all force arrows before dropping the last trap door, thus releasing the queens. Since the rooms been "pre-primed" by the player, the queens and roaches now use the arrows.

Also, if you're in a position where an "unbrained" roach would normally move towards the force arrow and use it, a "brained" roach will act as an unbrained roach until it crosses the arrow and then move as expected. So forcing a player to be on the opposite side of the force arrow from the roach could have a similar effect to what you want.

01-30-2004 at 09:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
It's a feature. It prevents Beethro from standing behind a force arrow and having a snake get to him and die.

The same applies to scrolls. In fact I'm making a hold about that feature!

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
02-01-2004 at 02:38 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
joker5 wrote:
It's a feature. It prevents Beethro from standing behind a force arrow and having a snake get to him and die.
Um... since when can serpents travel on arrows?

Edit: Never mind, I just reread your post. Thought you were suggesting the snake would kill Beethro. It's almost 3am, so I claim fatigue. I will suggest, though, that the brain doesn't send serpents down those corridors because, to the serpent, it's a dead end, and the Brain won't send a serpent to its death.

[Edited by DiMono on 02-01-2004 at 07:43 AM GMT]

02-01-2004 at 07:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Unless theres no route for the snake to get to beethro at all. Then it would work.
02-01-2004 at 08:27 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
If there was no other way, it would function like a normal unbrained serpent.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-01-2004 at 03:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Brains
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com