Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : An Citizen Quest (Citizen Puzzles!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
IP: Logged

File: An Citizen Quest.hold (6.8 KB)
Downloaded 57 times.
License: Public Domain
icon An Citizen Quest (+1)  
I was bored,so I created this hold! :)

Fully tested nice little hold!

Contains 4 levels,and 4th level is quite..mmmmm... :?

Easy-Medium-Difficult Puzzles!

Have fun!
:fun
*Fixed*

[Last edited by The Architest at 08-02-2008 06:17 PM]
07-31-2008 at 07:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeffrey0
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 44
icon Re: An Citizen Quest (+1)  
I'm happy to see that you've noticed how useful checkpoints are. Ruins Entrance could really use a few though.

I don't really get Torture Rooms 1E; there's a bunch of hot tiles but I don't see why you're supposed to use them. You can just drop roaches off the platforms. Same for the left side of Catacombs to Nowhere 1N1W.

Your stuff is getting better. Keep it up.
07-31-2008 at 08:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Architest
icon Re: An Citizen Quest (0)  
Thanks!
;)

What should i do next?
:rolleyes

Maybe more unsworden or more sworded holds?
07-31-2008 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
The Architest wrote:
What should i do next?

Whoa there! Next, you should work on finishing and improving this hold before starting the next one.

Why not respond more fully to Jeffey0's comments. He mentioned a checkpoint... And did he find unintended solutions to the Torture Rooms and Catacombs to Nowhere rooms?
07-31-2008 at 11:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
icon Re: An Citizen Quest (+2)  
Candy.... eaters?

I'd suggest renaming this to 'A Citizen's Quest' or something. 'An Citizen Quest' is grammatically incorrect anyways (never use 'an' with a word that starts with a non-vowel sound)

Catacombs to Nowhere: 'This looks like a fast shortcut!' might be better than 'This is fastest shortcut!' Also, the second line would look better as something along the lines of 'Guy entered the Catacombs, not knowing about the monsters within.'

Entrance: A nice little start to the hold. Took a few seconds of looking at it to see what I was supposed to do, but not difficult at all.

1N: I don't think I had the intended solution here... It looks like your *intent* was to have the adder eat the guards, then use the four-square-long adder to hold the door open long enough to escape it while luring it onto the hot tile. However, the adder got smote. So, I used the guards, stepping onto the hot tile right before the first one stepped onto the pressure plate, then moving onto the door before he stepped off. Both guards then stepped on the hot tile and toasted themselves while I waited on the clear token.

1N1W: First instinct upon looking at this room was 'you can't seriously expect me to solve this, the adder won't go over there!' Then I thought for half a second and realized that dropping roaches in pits with platforms is a good way to kill them. Once I got that figured out, the room was fairly simple.

Torture Rooms: 'This isn't where I'm supposed to be...!' might look better than what you've got on the first line. And... perhaps 'Guy was trapped in a bad place.' might be better? Assuming this is actually a guy named Guy or something.

Entrance: Interesting puzzle. I was a little surprised to have to kill the scripted character to trigger the green doors, but at least there was a minimal choice of things to do to trigger the doors.

1E: Not *terribly* hard, but makes use of my favorite use for platforms so that's OK. Always fun to drop roaches in pits. :D

1S1E: Took a couple of tries to get the adder to stay away from the tokens and go to the hot tile, but that's OK.

1N: Attack! Attack! .... Run away! Run away!

Grasslands: The grammar and writing here is better... but the second sentence there needs a period at the end.

Entrance: He's, not Hes. And... lots of running in circles here. More tedious than anything else.

1W: That... is an original way of dealing with Adders. I like it. But... A touch dangerous, too. And on a couple of occasions the builder got ate by Adders. Not quite sure how to avoid that. Perhaps place it on top of a door or a wall or something, so the Adders can't do that?

1N: Let's change that second line to 'My book doesn't have pictures or info about *this* place!'

Ruins: "What sorts of things can I find here?"

Entrance: Checkpoint! CHECKPOINT! Otherwise a mildly frustrating puzzle, but not terribly bad... But the lack of a checkpoint makes this an *incredibly* frustrating puzzle.

1N: It's spelled 'Conquered'. And... Why Beethro Budkin? For that matter, why would he leave a scroll behind?

Hold completion screen: 'And so, Guy walked outside, and was embarrassed... "Why did I buy that old book?"'

Should there maybe be a mention of the book in the hold starting screen, in regards to how Guy knew there was a 'shortcut' there?

Also, Ruins has a room I can't see any way to get to. Might want to do something about that before submitting this for HA approval.

08-01-2008 at 12:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Architest... wow! Playing this thing now. Solved two puzzles already, they were pretty(but easy). :)
08-01-2008 at 08:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
icon Re: An Citizen Quest (+1)  
Solved first level and first two rooms of second level:

Catacombs to nowhere:

Etrance: Fairly simple, but good.

1N: Pretty good, too. Letting adder eat guards is quite good idea... although you should look what solution Hikari found.

1N 1W: Uhh, yeah, like Hikari, I tried to find out how to let adder eat roaches, but then realised that I can drop them using platform. Why conquer token?

Torture rooms:

Etrance: Nice puzzle. First I let two guards be stabbed by the third, then letting third be burned on hot tile. ;)
1E: What?! Again platform-dropping?!

[Last edited by mxvladi at 08-01-2008 08:48 AM]
08-01-2008 at 08:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Now solved the hold.

Grasslands

Etrance: Fairly difficult compared to all other rooms in the hold. Burning hoarde of guards on hot tiles+save blue guys... :thumbsup EDIT: Stop! Blue guys are CLONES?! Then it's easier than I thought.
1W: Quite easy, although I still like the idea.

Ruins

Etrance: Heh. Quite easy room. Booming mud, letting adder eating roaches, booming the adder...

[Last edited by mxvladi at 08-01-2008 09:37 AM]
08-01-2008 at 08:57 AM
mxvladi
Oh, and last thing:

Torture rooms 1N: I left this room unsolved because of terrible darkness and there seemed no way to solve it. Am I supposed to solve it? Or not?
08-01-2008 at 09:35 AM
The Architest
You must not solve it :|

And sorry about the damn book :D
I should start reading more books to get good storylines.

08-01-2008 at 10:16 AM
mxvladi
The Architest wrote:
What should i do next?
:rolleyes

Well, once you're fully done with this hold, bettter to keep making unsworden player role holds for you - you create good unsworden player role holds. :)

Though if you would like to make some sworded(or hooked ;) )player role holds, here're some themes(some of them can be done even with unsworden player roles):

Slaying slayers
You need to know: standart ways of Slayer killing(using bomb with fuse/without fuse, oremites, tunnels, wall corners etc.)
Require sworded player role
Some succesfull holds with this theme: let's say A Slayers Weakness

Adder and tarstuff
You need to know: How adders eat creatures, how they eat tarstuff(they eat tar differently from mud, for example)
No matter sworded or unsworded player role, you can make really difficult puzzles even with unsworded player role.
Some succesfull holds with this theme: well, I can't name holds with clearly this theme, but first level of Pathways of Witherwood 2N has this theme.

Wraithwing usage
You need to know: Wraithwing behaviour, both single wraithwing and multiple
Probably require sworded player role
Some succesful holds with this theme: Let's say Artful architecture, minimal art 1S(well, this is actually single room, but very good room)

That's all. Hope this will help you to build even more succesfull holds in feauture. :)
08-01-2008 at 10:49 AM
The Architest
Thanks,mxvladi ;)

And those are good ideas :D

08-02-2008 at 10:51 AM
mxvladi
Now I have few questions about the hold:

Torture rooms 1E: Why hot tiles? Why pressure plate on/off and doors? And what was the intended way of solving it?! :huh
Are you going to remove Ruins 1W? Although it's unrequired, it's unreachable.
Maybe you should add green door to Grasslands etrance? Because if you leave from it to 1W, then return, it becomes terribly easy(you can leave other three clones in the corner of the room, so guards won't cut them, and it becomes veeeery easy).
08-02-2008 at 11:30 AM
The Architest
Cant edit it anymore! :angry

I removed Holds with my friend,and this hold was removed by my friend

:weep
08-02-2008 at 01:43 PM
mxvladi
Then... what's against downloading it from here by yourself? Your hold is "Anyone edit"...
08-02-2008 at 01:45 PM
The Architest
I have extra copy of it:D

but...

This is error message when I try import it :

This is hold same as hold already installed and it was ingored!

I cant find it at Change Location or Hold Managment!
08-02-2008 at 01:55 PM
mxvladi

File: An Citizen Quest for Architest.hold (6.6 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
License: Public Domain
Ummm... so, it means that the hold is already installed...

I don't know - if, as you said, you deleted it, it wouldn't say so!

EDIT: If you still can't import it, here's edited version of your hold. So, you can import it.

EDIT AGAIN: I got your PM which said that it worked, but I'll leave this attachment anyway - in case you've done something wrong again, you can always import it...

[Last edited by mxvladi at 08-02-2008 02:40 PM]
08-02-2008 at 01:57 PM
mxvladi
Torture rooms 1E: ORB puzlle! Wohoo(took me a while to solve)!

Torture rooms 1S 1E: BTW, what was the intended solutin? letting adder eat guards? Or letting guards kill adder?.. personally I did neither of those things - I used hot tile to burn everyone of them. :)

BTW, I didn't use four of mirrors in Catacombs to Nowhere: etrance. ;)

[Last edited by mxvladi at 08-03-2008 04:14 PM]
08-03-2008 at 04:05 PM
The Architest
Hmm...It is same!

Let Guards kill Adder OR let Adder kill Guards! ;)

Catacombs To Nowhere Entrance = :| *Deep Silence*

It is ready to Holds?

[Last edited by The Architest at 08-04-2008 11:03 AM]
08-04-2008 at 11:02 AM
mxvladi
The Architest wrote:
Hmm...It is same!

Let Guards kill Adder OR let Adder kill Guards! ;)

Or don't let adder eat guards and don't let guards eat adder. ;)

Catacombs To Nowhere Entrance = :| *Deep Silence*

Don't worry, it's OK.

It is ready to Holds?

I think Yes. Who disagrees?
08-04-2008 at 11:31 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : An Citizen Quest (Citizen Puzzles!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com