Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Hold Download Count
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
IP: Logged
icon Hold Download Count (0)  
The hold sizes thread inspired me to look at another less than commonly considered stat, # of times downloaded, and now I'm puzzled. I was expecting one of the old classics to be on top with maybe 20k-30k downloads at most. Instead I see Journey to the Goblin Kingdom I with 168,702 downloads, and Beethro's Bad Dream with 157,003. Does DROD even have that many players? The next hold after that is The Steps, more reasonably numbered at 38K.

I'm posting this on the Site board because it seems like this is either a download counter bug or someone with some crazy buggy leecher that sat there fetching the same thing over and over.

07-25-2008 at 04:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jason
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1076
icon Re: Hold Download Count (0)  
Perhaps something like this?

07-25-2008 at 09:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Jason wrote:
Perhaps something like this?

Oops, didn't realize there was a past topic. Still, it never really got answered then either, other than 'yeah, big numbers are suspect'. So I'm still sort of curious about this.

07-26-2008 at 02:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2119
I'm guessing it has to do with the file size being reported incorrectly for some of the files, so if you batch download with wget (or similar), you may end up in a loop downloading the same file over and over again. Edit: Unless, of course, you restrict the number of retries to a sane number.

[Last edited by Stefan at 07-29-2008 07:41 PM]
07-29-2008 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Hold Download Count
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com