Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Simplicity DS - KDD Version
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
IP: Logged
icon Re: Simplicity DS - KDD Version (0)  
See it this way, I didn't do this for the money. It was merely a programming exercise.

I'm NOT an indie developer, and I have a DS. My priority is to support the DS since I play this game on it.

If it works on your DSi, then I'm happy for you. But I'm not making any guarantees. :)

EDIT: I should mention that I've used my DS so much lately that some of the buttons doesn't work anymore. So, a new version will arrive later than I expected (need to buy a new one first, I'd rather want to get it fixed but I don't know anyone who can).

[Last edited by Tim at 07-01-2009 12:27 AM]
07-01-2009 at 12:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Simplicity DS - KDD Version (+2)  
Tim wrote:
EDIT: I should mention that I've used my DS so much lately that some of the buttons doesn't work anymore. So, a new version will arrive later than I expected (need to buy a new one first, I'd rather want to get it fixed but I don't know anyone who can).
I am willing to bet you did it, but I still want to mention that you should try to do some serious cleaning - sometime lately left shoulder on my DS wasn't working, and after lifting it a little with a nail and blowing really hard, the problems stopped.

[Last edited by skell at 07-01-2009 06:43 PM : ... I just had to fix all these grammerrors]
07-01-2009 at 06:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
icon Re: Simplicity DS - KDD Version (+1)  
skell wrote:
I am willing to bet you did but I still want to mention that you should try to do some serious cleaning to them - someime lately my left shoulder wasn't working, and after lifting it a little with a nial abd blowing really hard, everything started to work.
Never heard of this trick, but somehow it worked! Thanks.

07-01-2009 at 06:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Well, blowing air into it is a traditional way to solve any given nintendo problem you have.
07-10-2009 at 07:52 AM
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
Banjooie wrote:
Well, blowing air into it is a traditional way to solve any given nintendo problem you have.

Yeah, just look at Brawl.

07-10-2009 at 09:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
You double-posted again. Flaky mouse much?

07-10-2009 at 06:54 PM
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
I don't know how the mouse would cause that to happen. Just a mistake due to the back button. It's gone now.

07-11-2009 at 04:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
If your mouse frequently double clicks without you trying to make it do that, as mine does, it can cause a double post.
07-11-2009 at 07:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
You missed out on so much by not having that as a double post.
07-12-2009 at 02:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
roach strangler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
My opinion is that it needs music, that's all that I think it really needs. Can I possibly put music in myself somehow?
09-19-2009 at 04:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Not in this version, unfortunately.

09-20-2009 at 01:00 AM
Abbyzzmal
Rank Points: 348
So I know this project is really old, but I'd like to suggest an alternate control scheme. Right now, the diagonals are formed by A + a direction, which is a little problematic and unintuitive. What I suggest, though it might seem odd at first, is having every direction movement determined by two buttons. Up + X for North, Up + A or Right + X for Northeast, Up + B or Right + Y or Left + A or Down + X for wait, etc. You might call these Katamari controls. They will take some getting used to, but they are logical, and well-suited for the dexterous and the sinistral alike.

I suppose this leaves out undo, but that could be mapped to "any face button + shoulder button" (which seems a little problematic, I think), or relegated solely to the touchscreen.

[Last edited by Abbyzzmal at 12-11-2009 09:12 PM]
12-11-2009 at 09:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeffrey0
Rank Points: 44
The Mystery Dungeon games solved the diagonal problem by adding a button that only allows diagonal movement while it's held. Works fine and doesn't require someone to remember weird button combos.
12-11-2009 at 10:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
Rank Points: 348
These buttons combos here aren't weird and don't require memorization, and they don't treat diagonal motion any differently from orthogonal. They are similar to what you're referring to, only more flexible and less frustrating, as you don't end up tapping the same buttons over and over again trying to hit them at the same time. To move north, you leave one button held down and tap the other one. You do the same for every direction. It's a bit of a paradigm shift, but overall simpler and more robust than what has come before.

It was actually by playing a Mystery Dungeon game that I became desirous of this control scheme.
12-11-2009 at 11:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Samuel
Rank Points: 69
Just a suggestion:

Could you make Beethro move a bit faster along rather than spend 1 whole second on a square, it does seem to me like its a bit slow.

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
12-11-2009 at 11:45 PM
Tim
On my DS it moves about 10 squares a second.

If you're playing it on an emulator, then you might have to change it's settings or use a faster computer.

Can't help you there.

(In fact, the latest (unreleased) version doesn't work on an emulator at all.)

[Last edited by Tim at 12-13-2009 10:12 PM]
12-13-2009 at 10:08 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Simplicity DS - KDD Version
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com