Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : 3 questions about scripting...
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
underscorpion
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
IP: Logged
icon 3 questions about scripting... (0)  
Hi!
Well, I'm not sure where should I ask for scripting, so I will ask here :P

1. So, how to make 'heavy' character like Beethro - if he stand on the trapdoor and leave it - the trapdoor will fall. Can you help me? (an NPC - NOT PLAYER - NOT TOKEN!!!)
2. Is it possible to make a character like Slayer (he moves like him), and he could stay alive on the water and pits. Is it possible?
3. And, finally, what about custom tiles and script 'Turn into monster'? When the NPC turns into monster (for example Stalwart with axe :P), he sets normal Stalwart's appearance - he fights with his sword, not axe :?

I asked Someone Else, but he didn't answer yet. I must end my hold quickly, I sweared my cousin that I will give him this hold quickly! :|

-=Sorry for my English :P=-

[Last edited by underscorpion at 07-02-2008 07:46 PM]
07-02-2008 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: 3 questions about scripting... (+2)  
Hi!
underscorpion wrote:
1. So, how to make 'heavy' character like Beethro - if he stand on the trapdoor and leave it - the trapdoor will fall. Can you help me? (an NPC - NOT PLAYER - NOT TOKEN!!!)
Only Beethro and Mimics can drop trapdoors. So NPCs with Beethro or Mimic role can do that too.
2. Is it possible to make a character like Slayer (he moves like him), and he could stay alive on the water and pits. Is it possible?
Sorry. Not possible.
3. And, finally, what about custom tiles and script 'Turn into monster'? When the NPC turns into monster (for example Stalwart with axe :P), he sets normal Stalwart's appearance - he fights with his sword, not axe :?
Not possible. 'Turn into monster' change back to their original look. That is done to not confuse players, and is JtRH comaptible.
I asked Someone Else, but he didn't answer yet. I must end my hold quickly, I sweared my cousin that I will give him this hold quickly! :|
Good luck!

Edit: You can ask questions about hold making in the Architecture board. You can also put your holds there.

[Last edited by Tim at 07-02-2008 08:02 PM]
07-02-2008 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
underscorpion
icon Re: 3 questions about scripting... (0)  
Thanks for fast reply :)
Good luck!
Thank you :) I will put the hold if I only finish it :)
(it's BIG hold (like KDD, JtRH and TCB), so I can't finish it quickly :?)

07-02-2008 at 08:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Tim wrote:
underscorpion wrote:
Only Beethro and Mimics can drop trapdoors. So NPCs with Beethro or Mimic role can do that too.

Also NPC-decoys can drop trapdoors. Normally, if normal decoys could move they could be able to drop trapdoors, too. But they don't. However, decoys that move e.g NPC's with their graphics can drop trapdoors.

EDIT: Also, the following questions:

2. - This is connected with player role wraithwing. It's probably impossible(or needs very-very big scripting) but I'm not 100% sure about impossiblness. Only 99.5%. ;)
Probably the thing like that was with diagonal-only monster movement. There was even request about monster that can move diagonally. And then one of forum members created good hold with monster which moved diagonally-only.
That's why I'm not 100% sure about impossiblness of 2nd question request.

3. - There was request about that, too(posted by me, btw). I'm sad to say that's not going to change... or much later. :(

[Last edited by mxvladi at 07-03-2008 01:28 PM]
07-03-2008 at 11:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
underscorpion
Hmmm...
Maybe there is a way to make a monster editor for DROD :D
Maybe I will can make a program, what will open .dat files (if there are some informations about monsters) and user will make own monster! Hmm... Is it a good idea? ;)
It's only one question - where are infos about monsters? :D

07-03-2008 at 02:15 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
underscorpion wrote:
Hmmm...
Maybe there is a way to make a monster editor for DROD :D

Standart way of doing monsters is scripting, not some kind of monster editor. You can create many monsters through scripting, from simple monster with aumtlich behaviour which will move to player and kill him when close to monster that moves only diagonally/vertically or that moves straight ahead until hitting something, then turns two times clockwise/anticlockwise and continues movement. This all can be done with script. :)
So, monster editor isn't really necessary.
07-03-2008 at 02:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
underscorpion
But it will make monster scripting easier :)
For example - I can't script enemy like Slayer, and it's impossible, I think. But with this editor, everyone will make own monster in no time :P
btw I can open these .dat files only in Hex Editor - I can't operate him :(

[Last edited by underscorpion at 07-03-2008 02:51 PM]
07-03-2008 at 02:50 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1305
However, other people won't be able to use your monsters without recompiling/applying a patch. Therefore, it would be difficult to pull off.
07-03-2008 at 05:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
underscorpion wrote:
But it will make monster scripting easier :)
For example - I can't script enemy like Slayer, and it's impossible, I think. But with this editor, everyone will make own monster in no time :P
btw I can open these .dat files only in Hex Editor - I can't operate him :(
That monster editor already exists - it's called a C++ IDE.

Sorry, but the behaviour of all monsters is compiled into the executable. Without writing new/changing existing code your only way of making things behave differently is scripting.

Also, have you thought about how the existing monsters would fit into your editor's framework? Even the smallest difference in behaviour compared to how they behave now will massively break other people's demos and/or will make rooms unconquerable. And having editor, non-editor and scripted monsters will only create more unneeded complexity.

IMHO wrapping your head around the existing monster's behaviour and the oodles of combinations thereof is already hard enough, but the number of possible combinations would explode even further if everyone could include his or her pet monster.

And unless their behaviour is trivial how is one supposed to know how those monsters work? Until now new monsters have always been introduced with a new DROD game, which most of the time went to lengths to demonstrate how those monsters work instead of throwing them right at you unprepared.

DROD is about keeping the building blocks simple and constructing non-simple puzzles out of them. But one of the building blocks works totally unpredictable it'll only frustrate the player...

Just my 0.02 EUR...

EDIT:
Someone Else wrote:
However, other people won't be able to use your monsters without recompiling/applying a patch. Therefore, it would be difficult to pull off.
Not to mention CaravelNet would not work with it anyway, and even if you could submit such demos the spider would throw a fit over them...

[Last edited by Briareos at 07-04-2008 08:44 AM]
07-04-2008 at 08:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : 3 questions about scripting...
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com