Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Drod Tester One (All A Big Test)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

5.5/10 (20 votes)
σ 2.06
Author Name:Mr. Slice
Submitted By:Mr. Slice
Hold Name:Drod Tester One
Theme:All A Big Test
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:12
Number of Monsters:122
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+3 / -3)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Drod Tester One H.hold (5.9 KB)
Downloaded 1122 times.
License: Other
icon Drod Tester One  
This hold is both hard and easy, good and bad. Please attempt to enjoy it, or I have wasted your time.
05-21-2008 at 10:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
icon Re: Drod Tester One (+1)  
Anyone playing this be warned that a bug in DROD scripting/checkpoint interaction can crash your game in 9N. Just make sure you don't die during the double move while standing on a checkpoint. (This is a DROD bug, not a bug in the hold, so please no blame toward Mr Slice on this, just wanted to mention it so more people won't stumble on this problem.)

Bug Report is here

05-22-2008 at 10:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3118
In the event that this does happen, you have two possible ways out. Reportedly, holding 'R' for five seconds should restart the whole room, getting you out of the loop.

If this does not work, however, try pressing R and then Escape at almost the same time - if you do it right, you should get back to the menu where you can restart the room safely.
05-22-2008 at 10:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Yikes, I thought I was just getting started playing this hold when, wham, it was over. There are 12 scoreable rooms. Some rooms have somewhat interesting concepts but the ideas were based on other holds (like monster double-move). I don't mind concepts being re-used as long as the new rooms are more interesting, which wasn't the case here.
05-23-2008 at 01:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Drod Tester One (0)  
I found many of the rooms mildly dull--certainly 1N and 2N were, roughly, walk-through-'ems. 3N and 7N were a little more interesting; but a lot of the rest seemed fairly familiar. (The last room is roughly identical to a slayer-killing room posted by Doom: pressure plate, slayer on it, bomb in the middle...)

The writing, too, didn't help. "Lanybrinthis" was probably supposed to be "labyrinthitis"; the room-entering comments after the first were a little flat, and petered out after two or three of them.

I'd like to be more constructive in my criticism; I suppose mostly I'd suggest focusing more on originality. There're perhaps three basic elements to a hold--story/writing, layout/aesthetics, and puzzle; all three of them were very basic here. So even if new and sparkling puzzles are hard to come up with, you can always put more into the other aspects.
05-23-2008 at 03:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
icon Re: Drod Tester One (-2)  
You sound repetitive. Even though you are correct, I just... I guess I'm thinking about other things... Unfortunately, your criticism doesn't sound very constructive, but you do make a point. One that I'll remember for the horrid next tester.

05-23-2008 at 03:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
I had fun playing this hold. I don't understand why it is rated so low (maybe the accidental 1 vote again), and I don't understand at all why it has gotten negative hold karma. It's easy, it's quick and rather fun.
05-24-2008 at 01:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
I thought 9N was a good room, was it scripting trouble and the infinite restart? If so, this is being fixed right now.

05-24-2008 at 05:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
This is the first hold I've played in a while and had lots of fun doing so. I do like linear holds and the idea of test after test, each becoming slightly harder.

Good variety too. Thanks for making this :)
05-25-2008 at 05:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Not a bad little hold. Some interesting things. The last slayer took me forever to figure out what to do.

07-11-2013 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
About 22% of CN players made it to the last room..and never finished it. That should be proof enough that the final room is horribly misplaced.
06-05-2015 at 02:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
That is certainly not enough evidence logically speaking, because

A: There are probably more people who play DROD casually without CaravelNet than CN users, and many of them probably beat the room fine

B: I think your evidence (it being too hard for 22% to complete) actually goes directly against the point of it being in the wrong place, because generally the last rooms in a linear sequence of puzzles are supposed to be the hardest.

02-08-2023 at 05:01 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Drod Tester One (All A Big Test) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com