Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Imperial palace (Slayer puzzles, circle levels)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.3/10 (13 votes)
σ 1.49
Author Name:Slava
Submitted By:mxvladi
Hold Name:Imperial palace
Theme:Slayer puzzles, circle levels
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:5
Number of Rooms:31
Number of Monsters:301
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Imperial palace.hold (29.3 KB)
Downloaded 1019 times.
License: Other
icon Imperial palace  
55-th Slayer is, actually, the best Slayer, but imperial council desided to trick him and give him the worst work in his life.
05-20-2008 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mxvladi
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: Imperial palace (0)  
This is my second hold, actually, but its submitting was delayed because of 3.2 version. So, it's easier than "46-th Slayer adventure" or "89-th Slayer", but puzzles are still nice. :)
05-20-2008 at 07:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
mxvladi wrote:
This is my second hold, actually, but its submitting was delayed because of 3.2 version. So, it's easier than "46-th Slayer adventure" or "89-th Slayer", but puzzles are still nice. :)
I like this better than any of your previous holds actually, the start was really fun :)

05-20-2008 at 08:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
icon Re: Imperial palace (-1)  
This was an interesting hold. The puzzles were something. A little on the hard side since you have to drag and lure.

Oh, and when will you stop making slayer holds?

05-20-2008 at 08:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Mr. Slice wrote:
This was an interesting hold. The puzzles were something. A little on the hard side since you have to drag and lure.

Oh, and when will you stop making slayer holds?

This I find quite rude. As if I would say to you "Oh, and when will you stop visiting this forum" ;)

Personally I would like to see more slayer holds. I would love to see one by Larry, for example.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 05-20-2008 08:40 PM]
05-20-2008 at 08:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Well, I'm sorry about that, but there aren't a lot of other holds rolling in, and since I play more new holds than otherwise, I would play these slayer-based holds.

Since the puzzles make up for the continual slayer role, and since the slayer role can be a bit more interesting than Beethro or another character, I believe you can continue the holds here. One hint though: make sure you have different or at least strong variations of the puzzles in each new hold.

05-20-2008 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Mr. Slice wrote:
Well, I'm sorry about that, but there aren't a lot of other holds rolling in, and since I play more new holds than otherwise, I would play these slayer-based holds.
So exactly what keeps you from catching up on all those holds that you haven't taken a look at yet instead of making demands?

It's as if you had asked Beethro if he had stopped beating his nephew yet. (Which of course he hasn't done in the first place, since after all he's got a Really Big Sword that he can use...)

np: Aesop Rock - Spare A Match (Float)

05-20-2008 at 09:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Briareos wrote:
Mr. Slice wrote:
So exactly what keeps you from catching up on all those holds that you haven't taken a look at yet instead of making demands?

It's as if you had asked Beethro if he had stopped beating his nephew yet. (Which of course he hasn't done in the first place, since after all he's got a Really Big Sword that he can use...)

np: Aesop Rock - Spare A Match (Float)

Making demands? I said please! I would just like to see mxvladi make a hold about a different character, unless he can make a really good hold about slayers, then I'd be interesting.

Oh, and I worked on a bunch of those holds before I got CaravelNet. And something isn't working right.

05-21-2008 at 04:51 PM
Mr. Slice
I also have the opinion of you having good holds, I just want to see you make a really good hold and I would be happy for you. :)

05-21-2008 at 05:50 PM
Mr. Slice
I mean Really Good Holds (tm) as in like a Larrymurk Hold (tm).

Besides, who said anything about really difficult puzzles? As people point out, "Aim for fun, not difficulty". If you really have a desire to make difficult puzzles, get to know how to understand them by getting close to them, playing them, conquering them, mastering them, fiddling with them, anything to do that will make you understand the puzzles and how to get close to them.

Unfortunately, it being 2008 and Drod started over 10 years ago, people have taken almost all of the good puzzles, making it so, if you copy them, you are stealing.

Since these puzzles have been "Copyrighted" by the owners, you can't use them. Additionally, everybody else has already done a variation of that puzzle, taking you back to square one.

Get my drift? You don't have to make really hard puzzles, make them really fun instead.

05-21-2008 at 06:19 PM
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
Mr Slice wrote:
Unfortunately, it being 2008 and Drod started over 10 years ago, people have taken almost all of the good puzzles

Absolute rubbish. Look at all the great, original Holds that have come out recently!

05-21-2008 at 06:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
I didn't say "Back then, they were taken", I mean to say "Over the past 10-11 years they have been taken".

05-21-2008 at 06:39 PM
hartleyhair
Rank Points: 307
Mr. Slice wrote:
I didn't say "Back then, they were taken", I mean to say "Over the past 10-11 years they have been taken".

Which is still not true in the slightest. There are still hundreds of unexplored possibilities for puzzles with AE elements, let alone TCB.

05-21-2008 at 07:26 PM
Mr. Slice
It is slightly true, a great deal of possibilities have been taken in peoples eyes because they don't think of other possibilities.

I did some calculations, and there are a good 50,000 possibilities at LEAST of combining AE elements together. Not all of those elements, however, would work well together, some of them would make the puzzle (if there is one with those combinations) fall apart.

05-21-2008 at 07:42 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Imperial palace (+1)  
Mr. Slice says:

(1) "There aren't a lot of other holds rolling in." Wrong. Slava has had only two of the six holds released this month, four of the last ten holds, five of the last twenty... However you count "rolling in", there are plenty of other holds.

(2) "I said please!" Wrong. The word "please" appears nowhere in this thread prior to its appearance there.

(3) "People have taken almost all of the good puzzles." Wrong. If that were remotely true, we wouldn't have constant architecture contests, we wouldn't have six new holds this month full of perfectly good puzzles, etc. Language has been around for thousands of years, but people haven't taken almost all of the good stories, or sentences....

Really, at this point, I have to turn the analysis over to Dr. Cox.
05-21-2008 at 08:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
I think there are lots more possibilities to do original holds today than it was in the AE days. TCB and JtRH has added lots of possibilities. I have furthermore never seen a period when more genuinly good holds gets produced. You don't know what you are talking about, Mr. Slice. Please just drop it.

And if I had mod powers I would move more than half of this thread since it has nothing to do with Slava's hold whatsoever.
05-21-2008 at 09:42 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
Blondbeard wrote:
And if I had mod powers I would move more than half of this thread since it has nothing to do with Slava's hold whatsoever.
Like, say, to the thread for the Slicester's new hold? Complaining about how there are no more good ideas for holds on the same day that one's hold is released can't possibly be a good sign... :)

05-21-2008 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Blondbeard wrote:

So would I. This thread has been derailed (I won't point who, since everybody was on this) and we should just return to how clever the hold was and how interesting slayer roles are.

Done! Let's shut up now.

05-21-2008 at 10:30 PM
fratropea
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
Is not true that the best holds are those more difficult!
when I play with your holds, I would like that they never ended...
I like so much they. Good and thanks! :D

P.S. W THE SLAYER!!!

[Last edited by fratropea at 05-22-2008 10:12 PM]
05-22-2008 at 10:40 AM
Blondbeard
Great hold! The best I've played by you so far. Not hard, but clever, and you can solve each room in multiple ways. Oh, and I really liked the looks of first circle!

And once again the writing in the hold is kind of bad. If you could get help from someone that would be great. Perhaps you could even get help developing the story a bit.
05-23-2008 at 08:38 AM
JoMax
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 65
A good hold - I really enjoyed playing it, the difficulty level was just right for me. The puzzle were quite entertaining, apart from one minor criticism - the "put a goblin on a pressure plate" puzzles were a little repetitive.

05-23-2008 at 12:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
I think you need to add a power token at the north entrance to 1st Circle 1N1E to allow backtracking through the tunnel.
05-25-2008 at 06:26 AM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505

File: Imperial palace.hold (29.3 KB)
Downloaded 57 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Imperial palace (+2)  
I was politely reminded that I haven't fixed the backtracking problem at first circle 1N 1E. So, it's now fixed. I was asked to attach the version here... here it is.

EDIT: I've downloaded old version again and now made changes only in 1-st circle 1E.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 09-13-2008 09:06 PM]
09-11-2008 at 11:56 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
Thanks for the new version. Later on today, I'll check to confirm that the added power token is the only change. :)
09-11-2008 at 06:48 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Thanks very much for making the requested change, mxvladi. :)

It will take a few days to get this hold officially updated, because the admins are busy getting the new DROD RPG game working properly.
09-13-2008 at 10:25 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
... and thanks much to Schik for updating this hold in the middle of a very busy time. Mxvladi's fixed version (with the power token) is now the official version of Imperial palace. :)
09-16-2008 at 06:35 PM
martz
Rank Points: 414
This is one of the earlier holds from mxvladi which has you playing as the slayer character through 3 circular levels.

This is actually a decent hold - a lot of the rooms have multiple solutions and there's none with really tight solutions. There is some repetition with the goblin onto pressure plate manipulation (as mentioned above) but not too much for a small hold. Again, there are issues with spelling and punctuation but the story is solid enough.

My personal favourite room was 2-nd circle: 1S1E - a very decent tar switching puzzle which was also slightly different in style from most of the rooms in the hold.

I hope mxvladi continues making holds of this standard (and spends less time dominating the high scores!)

My verdict:

Difficulty: 5
Fun: 7

Progress - Gavin G
11-25-2011 at 12:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Imperial palace (Slayer puzzles, circle levels) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com