Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Choose your adventure... (A new hold. - public beta and a collaborative idea.)
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
IP: Logged

File: New Hold Choose your adventure 1S1E Victory.demo (964 bytes)
Downloaded 43 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Choose your adventure... (+1)  
Yay! New version! :)

Shapeshifting
I redid this level, and I believe I behaved myself this time. My previous unintended solutions for 1E and 1N did not work. I like the new puzzle at 2W - Killing the guards at the end had me stumped for a while until I saw the one place I could stand to make them stupid enough to step on the hot tiles. I also noticed the new eye in the entrance, which allowed me to use the wraithwing for one more subtask. Overall, I just love this level. It's so cool to see player role changes for puzzle purposes rather than story purposes. It's fun figuring out which role can complete each room.

The new puzzle in the hub level works well too (and gives me another opportunity to be a wraithwing). I was only able to solve it when returning from the shapshifting level.

Stalwarts and Guards
I noticed that this level did not change, so I'm not going to replay it this time. My previous solution to 2N really was unintended, right?

The new puzzle in the hub level has an unintended solution. I was able to solve it without completing the Stalwarts and Guards level. Demo attached.
07-04-2008 at 08:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit

File: New Hold Briars 1S Victory.demo (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
Briars
The various fixes have made this a much more varied and challenging level.

1S1E
Click here to view the secret text

1N

1W - This time I needed all three briars, and both pressure plates, and I had to adjust their timing by breaking some walls. This room works now.

1S - I'm not sure what the new force arrow on the conquer token really accomplished. Of course, now I have to put Beethro on the conquer token, but my solution still used the same 7 decoys and 2 briar roots. I've attached my demo just in case I'm doing something wrong.
07-04-2008 at 11:44 AM
CuriousShyRabbit

File: New Hold Brains 1N Victory.demo (2 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
Aumtlich - All my previous demos survived.

Grid - Level was not changed.

Brains
1S - My previous demo survived. Please let me know if I should post it. Or was that actually the intended solution for 1S?
1N - The new orthosquare broke my previous demo, but I went back and did essentially the same thing as before. Demo attached. The way the rooms are set up, it looks like I might be supposed to feed tar babies to the adders, but I have no idea how I'd do that?
07-04-2008 at 11:30 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
icon Re: Choose your adventure... (+2)  
New version - almost done, just need to neaten it up a bit and add level entrance texts.

07-17-2008 at 06:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit

File: New Hold Brains 1N-1S-1N3E Victory.demo (2.9 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
I've replayed the hold. The hub level is looking great. Don't forget to put in checkpoints - lots of them - everywhere! I still don't think I'm doing the brain stuff right. Here are my demos for Brains 1N, 1S, and 1N3E. Please let me know if you'd like me to export all my demos for the entire hold. It's late here now, so I'll write up full comments/observations tomorrow.
07-18-2008 at 01:15 PM
Jacob
Oops, I think 1N3E's fixed.
Checkpoints in all rooms now.
Also had changed 1S1E in Aumtlich.

Brains 1N and 1S, and Briars 1S will take some work to get right still, though.

07-18-2008 at 01:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit

File: New Hold Brains 2E Victory.demo (1.9 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
Before I look at the new version, I'll post the comments I didn't write last night.

Shapeshifting
I'm still curious about the secret passage between the Entrance and 1W. Is that there for story purposes?
1N1E - The new room rounds out the level. Solution:
Hub room - I like the added parts where Beethro and the wraithwing work together to move mirrors onto pressure plates. This gave access to obvious wraithwing areas.

Stalwarts and Guards
I think this level will help more players learn to like stalwarts. With just a few monsters, it's always clear what they're doing here, and why.
Hub room - I tried, but couldn't cheat any more. I didn't see the puzzle in the new western section of the room, but it does provide a nice hint for the stalwart vs guard puzzle, and it does delay me so I can't cheat. The eastern section works nicely now.

Briars
I still think the secret room is the easiest room on this level, while 1S1E is by far the hardest. Nice variety though.
1S - The thing about the current version of this room is my current solution looks obviously "unintended", whereas before it looked merely "alternate".
Hub room - A lot of fegundo exploding here. I could only solve it from the west, after returning from the Briars level. Solution:

Aumtlich
Most of this level looks the same as I saw it before.
1S1E - This time I put the decoy
I still didn't do anything special with the guards besides cook them.

Grid
This level was not changed. Since I visited all the rooms, I think my solution was intended. What type of comments, if any, would be helpful for this level?

Brains
You must hate me now. I'm sorry. I already posted my new "solutions" to 1N, 1S and the new room 1N3E (I'll go look at the changed room soon).
1N & 1S - I started to see how I might use the force arrows to help me feed tar babies to the adders if I made several trips... and now see why the trapdoor is there... but that looked really hard, so I found another way.
Entrance - Now I have to use the full reach of the mimics.
1N1E - I still think setting up the dance in this room is a lot harder than in the secret version. Maybe another tester would like to comment on the relative difficulty of these two rooms?
2E - I think I'll post my demo for this room too, just in case. In my solution, it doesn't matter how long the path through the crumbly wall area is, and I'm not using the switcher token under the brain.

I'll go look at the new version now. :)
07-19-2008 at 01:28 AM
CuriousShyRabbit

File: New Hold Brains 1N3E Victory.demo (2.1 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
And regarding the new version:

Thanks for all the checkpoints! That makes testing so much easier. May I also ask for some checkpoints near the end-of-level stairs? I like being able to save my progress on a level as a whole, not partway through any one particular room. It's also nice to be able to restore to a completed level to look for secret rooms, if any. Levels that don't have checkpoints near the stairs are Stalwarts, Briars, Aumtlich, and Brains.

I noticed you added some tar mothers to Grid 3N4W. This did not affect the way I run from south to east. Was I supposed to wait for tar growth here?

And Brains 1N3E... It looks like you want me to unbrain the wraithwing using the briar and the snake body, except that looks hard. So here's a demo of what I did instead. I'll try harder to behave myself next time.
07-19-2008 at 03:54 AM
Jacob
Thanks again for the excellent comments. Looks like I've still got some work to do. Not all the fixes are obvious.

CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
Brains: 1N1E - I still think setting up the dance in this room is a lot harder than in the secret version. Maybe another tester would like to comment on the relative difficulty of these two rooms?

07-19-2008 at 04:05 PM
Jacob
New version up. Let's see if I've thwarted CSR this time round!

07-22-2008 at 05:14 PM
CuriousShyRabbit

File: New Hold Aumtlich 1S1E Victory.demo (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
Looks like Briars 1S is fixed. Nice job! :)

Here's what I did this time around in Aumtlich 1S1E. I went back to my original solution of putting the decoy at the top.
07-23-2008 at 01:36 AM
CuriousShyRabbit

File: New Hold Brains 1N Victory.demo (2 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
Brains 2E looks good now. I'm assuming most of my previous solution was intended. Now I need to use the 3rd switcher token under the brain. :)

Brains 1N - I did pretty much the same thing again.
07-23-2008 at 02:14 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
I won't post my demo of Brains 1S, because it's pretty much the same as Brains 1N.

But, I'm intrigued by your comment about Brains 1N1E. I've been looking at it and trying some other things, but I just don't see it. Not surprising since I can't seem to do anything right on this level.

07-23-2008 at 02:34 AM
Jacob
icon Re: Choose your adventure... (+3)  
Thanks again. New version up - I'd forgotten about the other loop in Brains 1N and 1s - so hopefully I've fixed that now.

I'm not sure how you've been doing Brains 1N1E - I've not managed a golem-tarbaby dance, and certainly not a tarbaby-Beethro dance. I manage fine with a tarbaby-tarbaby dance alone.
Is that solution easier or harder than yours- I'd assumed easier.

07-23-2008 at 02:15 PM
CuriousShyRabbit

File: CYA Aumtlich 1S1E Victory.demo (1.6 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
icon Re: Choose your adventure... (0)  
You've definitely made Aumtlich 1S1E trickier for me. I'm unsure whether this is the intended solution... or whether I've perhaps made it harder than necessary? I'm still not doing anything with the guards except killing them.
07-24-2008 at 01:03 AM
CuriousShyRabbit

File: CYA Brains 1S Victory.demo (2 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
Brains

1N - I think I've finally used the intended solution.

1S - I couldn't do that, because there are only three tar babies. So I used a variation of what I'd been doing previously. I'm starting to think my previous attempts were pretty close to intended for this room. Attaching a demo, just in case.

1S1E - The changed room works pretty much the same as before.

1N1E - Wow! I never would have thought of that if you hadn't told me. Carrying out your solution is indeed easier, in fact maybe easier than you think. You don't need the golem, the force arrow and Beethro's sword do the job just fine. But coming up with that solution in the first place is another story. It relies on something I didn't know, until I reread TFMurphy's post in the Monster Movement Clarification thread in an attempt to explain what was going on.

So this hold is almost done now! The new level descriptions look good. It looks like there's just Brains 1N3E (and possibly 1S) to fix, and a checkpoint to add just after the blue door in 2E.
07-24-2008 at 10:57 AM
Jacob
Thanks yet again. We're almost there.
CuriousShyRabbit wrote
1N - I think I've finally used the intended solution.
Yep, that sounds good. For 1S, you can also use your solution with the rattlesnake (that's what was intended), but I like this one too, so have left it in.
1S1E - The changed room works pretty much the same as before.
Good, I just thought the change looked better, and made the solution a bit less apparent.
1N1E...You don't need the golem, the force arrow and Beethro's sword do the job just fine.
Very nice - I'm going to take out the golem, it's much more elegant and gives 2 uses to the one force arrow. I'm not too sure how you'd used the golem originally, if not to take the place of one of the tarbabies. No matter (unless you think another secret room with the golem solution would be fun).
The new level descriptions look good. It looks like there's just Brains 1N3E (and possibly 1S) to fix, and a checkpoint to add just after the blue door in 2E.
Oops, forgot to fix 1N3E. Changed it, as well as the Aumtlich room - now I think you need the guards.

07-24-2008 at 06:11 PM
CuriousShyRabbit

File: CYA Aumtlich 1S1E Victory.demo (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
Am I getting closer to the intended solution for Aumtlich 1S1E?
07-25-2008 at 12:13 AM
Jacob
Yay! I can't say I'm too happy with all the extra yellow doors and trapdors I added to enforce the solution, but the whole point of the room was to
so I'm glad I got there in the end.

07-25-2008 at 12:29 AM
CuriousShyRabbit

File: CYA Brains 1N3E Victory.demo (1.9 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
I'm still using an unintended solution for Brains 1N3E. The yellow door in front of the on-and-off plate allows me to unbrain the wraithwing without using the other room elements.

For Brains 1N1E, you're right about what I used to do with the golem. I had it dancing on and off the pressure plates with one of the tar babies. It didn't matter that it was a golem, just that it moved before the adder. It was a conceptually easier solution, as everything happened within one single turn. Setting up the golem-tar baby dance was kind of a pain though.
07-25-2008 at 12:42 AM
Jacob
New version. Only changed Brains 1S3E.

07-27-2008 at 01:04 AM
CuriousShyRabbit

File: CYA Brains 1N3E Victory.demo (2 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
I think this is pretty close to what you want for Brains 1N3E. :) This time, I used the snake body and the briar. There were a couple of crumbly walls near the snake that I ignored - I'm posting my demo in case that's a problem.

I see you removed the secret passage from Shapeshifting as well... and I never found out what it was for!
07-27-2008 at 01:35 AM
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Choose your adventure... (A new hold. - public beta and a collaborative idea.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com