Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : My forum is live
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon My forum is live (0)  
So I'm building a website for public use, and want it to look all pretty, but I suck at making images. Does anyone who's good at pixel manipulation feel like helping me out by making some images for me?

To see what I've got so far, the url is http://www.public-politics.com/ and I made the 8 images the page uses earlier today. I do have a basic layout idea that I want to follow, it's just not implemented on the site yet.

Thanks in advance to anyone who feels like helping me out.

[Edited by DiMono on 01-26-2004 at 07:24 PM GMT]

01-13-2004 at 04:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
icon Re: I need pixel manipulation help (0)  
I don't see any images there. If you don't mind I will say one thing though. A textured background doesn't make a good website. It distracts the reader and can make the text hard to read.
01-13-2004 at 04:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I've got no skill with image manipulation, but I've followed the link to your personal site and I must say I was amused by the picture of you in a suit. Note that I am prejudiced against suits - in the class I just TA'd, it took every ounce of decency in me to convince me not to mark down a student's grade just because he came to every class working one.

01-13-2004 at 07:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Just a quick note, the word "controversial" is misspelled on your site, as "contraversial".

And I know nothing about pixel manipulation.

01-13-2004 at 05:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Scott wrote:
I don't see any images there. If you don't mind I will say one thing though. A textured background doesn't make a good website. It distracts the reader and can make the text hard to read.

DROD.net uses a textured background, although we get around that by creating a table and assigning backgrounds to each cell.

With some creative HTML, it's rather easy to ensure that your text has a blank background while still making the page look interesting.

Matt

01-13-2004 at 07:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Drod.net has a border not really a background
01-13-2004 at 11:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Mattcrampy wrote:
Scott wrote:

DROD.net uses a textured background, although we get around that by creating a table and assigning backgrounds to each cell.

With some creative HTML, it's rather easy to ensure that your text has a blank background while still making the page look interesting.

Matt
As is the plan. The title is in a box that's actually composed of 6 very small images, and the content will end up in something similar.

And if you open one of the frames of the drod.net main site in its own window, the bricks from the game menu screen are the tiled background.

01-14-2004 at 03:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Scott wrote:
Drod.net has a border not really a background

True, but I'm being technically accurate here. Call me pedantic, but... heck, just call me pedantic. It's good for the soul.

And if you open one of the frames of the drod.net main site in its own window, the bricks from the game menu screen are the tiled background.

You mean behind the Beethro spinning heads, right? Every frame uses that background, but most of the pages with content simply contain a table, and all of the page content is in the middle frame. So you don't really notice it.

Matt

01-14-2004 at 12:34 PM
DiMono
Scott wrote:
If you don't mind I will say one thing though. A textured background doesn't make a good website. It distracts the reader and can make the text hard to read.
Heh... that's two things... ya goof. :fun

01-14-2004 at 03:40 PM
DiMono
icon Re: My forum is live (0)  
So I still could use some graphical artists to help get the front of the site looking good, if anyone can volunteer, but I have a significant announcement to make: public-politics.com is live! The forum is installed and up, I have a theme I downloaded and installed for it, and everything's open for discussion.

Since right now all I have is word-of-mouth to go on, could anyone who feels like helping me out please spread the word about my site, and try to get me some writers for the front page?

01-26-2004 at 07:26 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : My forum is live
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com