Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Patch Job
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Patch Job (0)  
For all you droderati, drodders, drodiacs, and smitey chuckslingers out there: New patch!

Copy the above file over your existing drod.exe file where DROD was installed. By the time you read this, there should also be a full installation for Windows available from SourceForge, but if you've already got DROD installed, just use the above patch.

Ugh. This is reminding me too much of the beta. I hope we don't have many more major bugs like this, because I'd like to put this patching business behind me. Of course, if you happen to find another nasty bug, I won't kill the messenger. We grudgingly stop to fix them and continue on our way. Here's what people other than me corrected in this latest version:

91497 BUG: Half-deleted levels
91496 Pit corners incorrect when creating new room
91450 BUG: KDD level 9 start text truncated
91458 Sort holds and players alphabetically.
91456 BUG: Double click list box scroll button closes dialog
91454 Active hold changes when another hold is deleted
90412 BUG: End hold info lost
91452 Add sound cues when room/level is copied
91451 BUG: Can place wwing on tar in editor

-Erik

01-12-2004 at 02:11 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Patch Job (0)  
So, for the end hold info loss bug...how do we restore the holds that are affected? Will it just magically work instantly or will we have to delete the hold and re-import it or something like that?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-12-2004 at 02:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
Oneiromancer wrote:
So, for the end hold info loss bug...how do we restore the holds that are affected? Will it just magically work instantly or will we have to delete the hold and re-import it or something like that?

Game on,
Similarly, what about old holds that break the new rules, like placing wraithwings on tar to start the room? Will these holds still work, or will they now be broken and crash the game?

Also, and unrelated, for people who want to start aiding in the bug squishing process, is there a list of open bugs somewhere?

01-12-2004 at 03:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Linux patch is out:

Executable only (~643k gzipped).
Use this if you already installed an earlier version. Just gunzip, rename to drod.bin, and overwrite your old executable.

Full setup (~13mb).
Use this if this is the first time you're installing DROD on Linux, or if you need an excuse to use some of that bandwidth.

- Gerry

[Edited by trick on 01-12-2004 at 04:15 AM GMT: formatting]
01-12-2004 at 04:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Oneiromancer wrote:
I don't know. Mike or somebody else will have to answer that one. Or better yet, try it out and post back here with the results. Export your player file before reimporting the hold.
DiMono wrote:
Similarly, what about old holds that break the new rules, like placing wraithwings on tar to start the room? Will these holds still work, or will they now be broken and crash the game?
If you are the author of such a hold, I would recommend changing your rooms to not go against the new rules. I don't expect any crashing, but if people exploit weirdness in their designs, they should be prepared for inconsistent behavior between different versions of DROD.
Also, and unrelated, for people who want to start aiding in the bug squishing process, is there a list of open bugs somewhere?
Sorta, but it's usually got no open bugs on it. I wouldn't worry about it.

-Erik

01-12-2004 at 05:42 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Avon
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 47
ErikH2000 wrote:
Oneiromancer wrote:
I don't know. Mike or somebody else will have to answer that one. Or better yet, try it out and post back here with the results. Export your player file before reimporting the hold.

Testing on Smallsome Swicks, I needed to delete and re-import the hold to finally see the ending.

If I hadn't taken Erik so literally I might have not had the pleasure of playing through Shallow Down again. :)

I tested on another hold, The Haunted House Part I. You can just export player, delete player, delete hold, import hold, import player to avoid having to replay the hold.

[Edited by Avon on 01-12-2004 at 08:49 AM GMT: extra testing]

01-12-2004 at 07:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Avon wrote:
Testing on Smallsome Swicks, I needed to delete and re-import the hold to finally see the ending.
Ah, we have an answer. Thanks, Avon!

-Erik

01-12-2004 at 08:06 AM
Oneiromancer
Avon wrote:
I tested on another hold, The Haunted House Part I. You can just export player, delete player, delete hold, import hold, import player to avoid having to replay the hold.

I tried to do this, but it didn't work on Happy House. The weird thing is, I was helping Mike test this out before the patch and this method did work on Smallsome Swicks and Dugan's Dungeon Revisited (and they still work), although it gave me a file corruption error when I reimported my player file. Now there's no error but the staircase still goes to the hold start. :(

I've already sent Mike my dat files so we'll see if it's just me or what.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 01-13-2004 at 12:20 AM GMT]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-13-2004 at 12:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Avon wrote:
My Smallsome Swicks registers as finished, and then some time later the stairs broke, so I don't even have to do this :D

01-13-2004 at 03:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I'm not sure I understand what you meant - did you mean the bug re-occured even with the patch? Or that you saw the original ending pre-patch before the stairs broke so you didn't need the fix?

01-13-2004 at 04:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Avon
Oneiromancer wrote:
Avon wrote:

I tried to do this, but it didn't work on Happy House. The weird thing is, I was helping Mike test this out before the patch and this method did work on Smallsome Swicks and Dugan's Dungeon Revisited (and they still work), although it gave me a file corruption error when I reimported my player file. Now there's no error but the staircase still goes to the hold start. :(

I've already sent Mike my dat files so we'll see if it's just me or what.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 01-13-2004 at 12:20 AM GMT]

I'm afraid it's not just you, Oneiromancer. Even after the re-importing Happyhouse, I can't get the ending either. :~(

01-13-2004 at 07:11 AM
Oneiromancer
Heh, I forgot to post...I sent my dat files and Happy House to Mike, and he said that it was the hold's fault. However, he had a version of the hold that did work...so it looks like the bug happened to TScott, and he exported it, and so it will affect all of us, not just those of us with the bug ourselves.

Game on,

01-13-2004 at 08:30 AM
DiMono
eytanz wrote:
I'm not sure I understand what you meant - did you mean the bug re-occured even with the patch? Or that you saw the original ending pre-patch before the stairs broke so you didn't need the fix?
I haven't installed the patch yet, I've been too busy. I'm saying I finished it, then the bug affected it, but since it still shows as finished in my hold list I don't have to worry.

01-14-2004 at 01:26 AM
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
Oneiromancer wrote:
Heh, I forgot to post...I sent my dat files and Happy House to Mike, and he said that it was the hold's fault. However, he had a version of the hold that did work...so it looks like the bug happened to TScott, and he exported it, and so it will affect all of us, not just those of us with the bug ourselves.

Game on,
I just read this thread. I've downloaded the patch and will edit the stairs in Happyhouse. What's the best way to do this so the new version can be updated the Happyhouse thread in the holds area?

01-18-2004 at 02:14 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
I think that Schik is working on being able to do that, but it's not ready yet. So you'll have to ask an admin.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
01-18-2004 at 02:32 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Actually, I don't think Erik or I can - buggers up the database, Schik tells me.

Matt

01-18-2004 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
Mattcrampy wrote:
Actually, I don't think Erik or I can - buggers up the database, Schik tells me.
Built-in job security. Muuaaahahahaa!

01-18-2004 at 04:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Until I learn PHP. Then I can just set the access permissions so you can't make any changes to the forum.

Mwhahahaha!

Hell, you've probably got built-in job security just from assembling the thing. That and you don't get paid, so we can afford to have you around!

Matt

01-18-2004 at 06:38 PM
DiMono
Avon wrote:
You can just export player, delete player, delete hold, import hold, import player to avoid having to replay the hold.
I'm hesitant to do this. What happens to holds you're working on, if anything? Does everything remain unchanged, as you left it?

01-19-2004 at 01:42 PM
Oneiromancer
Until we find out why my Dugan's got corrupted, it might be a good idea not to use this method either.

Game on,

01-19-2004 at 04:38 PM
Koro
Rank Points: 74
Just thought I'd throw in another case study. I didn't patch, I just installed the latest version as the full setup (1.6.5?), played through Smallsome Swicks, got sent to the beginning, have imported and exported players and the SS hold like none other, and still no happy star and no cool ending. Que lastima! :no Hope this helps and further confuses all those analyzing the bug. Further analysis on other holds forthcoming...

Peace in the dungeons,
Koro

01-22-2004 at 05:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Koro
Rank Points: 74
Okay, I'm a bozo. Here's another drum for the conundrum set: all of a sudden it works from one more export attempt, making a new character that hasn't beaten anything, deleting the dungeon, importing it, bringing in the old guy... now it works. So maybe it has something to do with a necessary second user. Odd. :huh
Oh yeah, and my Dugan's still works fine.

So whatever,
Koro

01-22-2004 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Avon
Koro wrote:
all of a sudden it works from one more export attempt, making a new character that hasn't beaten anything, deleting the dungeon, importing it, bringing in the old guy... now it works. So maybe it has something to do with a necessary second user. Odd. :huh

Now that I think about it, DROD won't let you do anything without having some player selected, so if you delete your only player you won't be able to re-import the hold while the player is deleted.

[Edited by Avon on 01-23-2004 at 08:31 AM GMT]

01-23-2004 at 08:30 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Patch Job
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes