Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Beethro the Roach!
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
IP: Logged

File: Roach.zip (14.5 KB)
Downloaded 84 times.
License: Other
icon Beethro the Roach! (0)  
Through a simple graphical alteration, you can now experience roachhood first hand! Instructions enclosed in zipfile.
EDIT: Sorry, it seems the file attachment didn't come through the first time. How humiliating.

[Edited by masonjason on 01-09-2004 at 09:22 PM GMT]

[Edited by masonjason on 01-09-2004 at 09:22 PM GMT]

01-09-2004 at 08:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: Beethro the Roach! (0)  
Before I grab that file, two questions:

Can you still kill things?

Can it be undone?

01-11-2004 at 06:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
DiMono wrote:
Can you still kill things?
It's simply a graphical change. So yes.
Can it be undone?
Instructions are included for how to do and undo it.

01-11-2004 at 06:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I use the same method to make the pictures for the suggestions page - I've got a rather complicated one that requires me to replace brains, Beethro, yellow and red doors and orbs. Shame I can't draw.

Matt

01-11-2004 at 07:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
levelthirteen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109

File: RoMic.zip (14.6 KB)
Downloaded 68 times.
License: Other
Cool!
Trivial extension to the parent post; nearly fixed mimics and roach eggs.

[Edited by levelthirteen on 01-12-2004 at 12:59 AM GMT: ambiguity error on regex \\w+\\s\\w+\\S;]
01-11-2004 at 08:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Wierd bug:

If you grab an invisibility potion...
then you become a transparent Beethro.

But if a roach (or anything else, haven't tried it yet) enters your field of smell, you become a transparent roach.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
01-12-2004 at 02:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
It's like that guy from the Ben Stiller superhero movie. He's invisible as long as nobody's looking at him. Can't remember what the movie was called, though... Mystery Men

01-12-2004 at 03:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
DiMono wrote:
He's invisible as long as nobody's looking at him.
That's like Schrödinger's Cat - Is the cat dead when we aren't looking at it? Transposed to the context of the entire world, it reads - Does anything exist when no-one is looking a it?

01-12-2004 at 09:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
agaricus5 wrote:
That's like Schrödinger's Cat - Is the cat dead when we aren't looking at it? Transposed to the context of the entire world, it reads - Does anything exist when no-one is looking a it?
I'd say yes, because you think of that something, ergo it exists (if only in your little personal universe). If a tree falls in the forest, and no-one is there to hear it fall, it makes a sound if you believe it does. :fun

Does anything exist when no-one is thinking of it ?
Does everything you think of exist ?

Just now I created and destroyed a couple of infinite universes just for fun. Does that make me a murderer ?
01-12-2004 at 11:44 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
agaricus5 wrote:
I took a course on quantum computation a while back, and it was really interesting to learn that things, basically, really don't exist unless "something" is looking (i.e. interacting) with them at that moment.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-12-2004 at 04:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
mrimer wrote:I took a course on quantum computation a while back, and it was really interesting to learn that things, basically, really don't exist unless "something" is looking (i.e. interacting) with them at that moment.

Actually, that's really only true at the quantum level. Things aren't so sketchy at the macroscopic level...there are just too many other things interacting with them than some passive observer. You don't just need to observe a quantum object to collapse it's wavefunction; if something else interacts with it then its state will also be determined. If that something else is quantum also then the final state will be a probability distribution. Put together a million probability distributions and you pretty much always get a definite result.

Game ,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-12-2004 at 05:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Interestingly, most of the fun conclusions quantum physics comes up with also don't apply at the macroscopic level. This is a real shame - I think the wave-particle duality should let me go through walls, although admittedly I can go through very thin walls. And make a mess.

Hmm, I guess it's not as much of a dilemma as I thought.

Matt

01-12-2004 at 05:28 PM
DiMono
Actually, if you're patient enough then you can go through walls. Since all particles are in motion, if you push your finger against a piece of paper wait long enough then some particles of your finger will move to beyond some particles of the paper. If you do this for a sustained amount of time (like, say, millions of years), then eventually part of your finger will be entirely beyond the paper. Swap person for finger, and swap wall for paper, and the rest falls in to place.

Anyway, shouldn't this comversation be in the Anthing forum by now?

01-13-2004 at 03:19 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Well, it's related to DROD.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
01-13-2004 at 06:46 PM
Mattcrampy
There are bigger offenders in the General forum, and if they go more offtopic they'll be moved.

But then there's not as much need to move topics around on this forum anyway, which is why they haven't already been moved.

Matt

01-13-2004 at 07:11 PM
Mister
Rank Points: 104
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Yeah, there should be a feature (in 1.7?) where after trying to move against a wall... say... a gazillion times, you can pass through it. Just to make DROD quantum-compatible. :lol
01-14-2004 at 12:02 AM
DiMono
Mister wrote:
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Yeah, there should be a feature (in 1.7?) where after trying to move against a wall... say... a gazillion times, you can pass through it. Just to make DROD quantum-compatible. :lol
Knowing Erik's sense of humour, and knowing how many a gazillion is, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this actually made it in to 1.7

01-14-2004 at 01:24 AM
Schik
DiMono wrote:
Knowing Erik's sense of humour, and knowing how many a gazillion is, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this actually made it in to 1.7
Since DROD stores your moves as you make them, by the time you make a gazillion moves, you'll run out of virtual memory. After just a measly billion moves, that's a Gig of memory to store your moves. :pimp

01-14-2004 at 01:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Schik wrote:
DiMono wrote:
Since DROD stores your moves as you make them, by the time you make a gazillion moves, you'll run out of virtual memory. After just a measly billion moves, that's a Gig of memory to store your moves. :pimp
I don't know, my friend, some of those computers we've got today...

01-14-2004 at 01:54 AM
Stuwy
Rank Points: 212
masonjason, I downloaded your graphics and I continued to play around with more enemies. Can I use your roach/roach queen/roach egg/roach mimic graphics in my upcoming hold?
01-18-2004 at 11:51 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
You can't.

The graphic changes will only affect your DROD and those of the people that have also downloaded it and changes the file.

If you want people to play the hold with the changed tiles, then you will need to ask people who play the hold to change the files on their computers.

01-18-2004 at 11:54 PM
The_Red_Hawk
DiMono wrote:

But then architects could design rooms around it. And you could also make a room easier by making a shortcut. All you have to do is leave a marble or something on top of the correct key and let it sit for a couple of days.

01-19-2004 at 01:07 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Um, assuming 30 moves per second -

You could make 1,800 moves a minute.
You could make 10,800 moves in an hour.
You could make 2,592,000 moves in a day.
It would take you over a year to get to a mere billion moves.

Now, I'm not sure how much a gazillion is, but it's definitely not less than a 1,000 billion.

And even if you were immortal and infinitely patient, DROD still runs on Windows so it's unlikely that 1,000 years would go by without a crash.

This would be a pretty safe feature to add in.

01-19-2004 at 01:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
eytanz wrote:
DROD still runs on Windows so it's unlikely that 1,000 years would go by without a crash.
If by "1,000 years" you mean "1 week" I totally agree with you. Stupid Microsoft...

01-19-2004 at 01:57 AM
Stuwy
Rank Points: 212
agaricus5 wrote:
You can't.

The graphic changes will only affect your DROD and those of the people that have also downloaded it and changes the file.

If you want people to play the hold with the changed tiles, then you will need to ask people who play the hold to change the files on their computers.

I know. I will be having those two files zipped up (the hold, and the general tiles) when I release it. Don't worry.
01-19-2004 at 01:59 AM
The_Red_Hawk
eytanz wrote:
Now, I'm not sure how much a gazillion is, but it's definitely not less than a 1,000 billion.

Gazillion isn't actually a real number. How about vigintillion?

This would be a pretty safe feature to add in.

I suppose, but what's the point, really?

01-19-2004 at 03:25 AM
Mattcrampy
DiMono wrote:
If by "1,000 years" you mean "1 week" I totally agree with you. Stupid Microsoft...

I went months without Windows XP crashing. I was so impressed.

Now I need to clean something out, but I'm not sure what. It was working so well on a clean install... sniff...

Matt

01-19-2004 at 01:56 PM
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
I've gone... actually, XP has never ever crashed on me, since I got this new computer. Not once. It's been just over a year now, and when you consider the fact that my computer is pretty much running 24/7, that's quite amazing. They really improved on the stability this time around. The only crashes I've ever gotten are due to certain memory-hogging games overstepping their limits. *coughPLANETSIDEcough*

01-19-2004 at 03:09 PM
DiMono
[linux-plug]
See, this is where linux kicks Windows right out the door. If a program crashes under linux, the rest of the system keeps running. It's only one program that's having issues, so it's only that one program that crashes. Plus you can do hot-swaps of most of your hardware without fear of... well... anything at all. Oh yeah, and it's free.

Go Go Linux!
[/linux-plug]

01-19-2004 at 05:18 PM
Schik
DiMono wrote:
See, this is where linux kicks Windows right out the door. If a program crashes under linux, the rest of the system keeps running. It's only one program that's having issues, so it's only that one program that crashes. Plus you can do hot-swaps of most of your hardware without fear of... well... anything at all. Oh yeah, and it's free.
I like to play devil's advocate, so...

I've been using Windows XP Pro since about the time it came out, and Windows 2000 and WinNT before that. Being a coder, I probably have more destructive code being executed than the average user. ;) It is *extraordinarily* rare that one program has taken down my machine. In the last several years, I can't even think of one example. The closest is actually DROD, which due to one recent bug I was unable to kill the DROD process without rebooting. Everything else was still running fine though, so it's not like DROD took my system down.

As for the Win9x series of OSes, that's a different story. I can't count the number of times I had memory errors in programs that took the machine down.

I do agree that Linux is awesome though - unfortunately I'm not able to use it at work, however, as people who use our software generally have Windows machines.

01-19-2004 at 05:59 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Beethro the Roach!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com