Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : C++ question
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
vinheim
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 300
IP: Logged
icon C++ question (0)  
What are the best programs for coding in C++?
What are the best tutorials?

I'm sorry to say this guys, but Syntax has inspired me and I was thinking of leaving DRoD and concentrate on my real life aswell as the game and the fan-made equivalent have sucked me into its awesomeness. In the future I want to program games and learning the gml language (gamemaker) wont help much in creating games that will sell good, even though some games made by gamemaker have sold high.
In short I want to get into learning C++ fast so I can make games with it, so what's your recommendations?
03-19-2008 at 10:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
icon Re: C++ question (+1)  
vinheim wrote:
What are the best programs for coding in C++?
The best is Microsoft Visual Studio. The second place (for windows) is somewhere between Code::Blocks and Eclipse+CDT.

About tutorials - I think that paper books can do the trick.
03-19-2008 at 11:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1545
icon Re: C++ question (+2)  
Having looked quickly at GML, if you can do what you want to do using it then I'd probably say stick with it for now. It'll be a whole lot easier to achieve stuff that way than it would if you leapt into C++, and making working stuff in GML will probably do far better for your motivation than trying to make the same game in C++ straight off. :)

Don't confuse learning programming with learning a language. Programming is definitely something that can and IMO should be taught formally, but the focus there is really on the formal theory -- algorithms, data structures, that sort of thing. The language used to teach all that stuff is fairly incidental.

Learning a language, on the other hand, is far better done informally and by experience IMO. Find something you want to write, and go do it. Try and match it to your skill level -- if you want to get started with C++ then start with a "pick a number between 1 and 100" game rather than a platformer -- but have a definite and desirable goal in mind when you sit down, then go and research whatever you need in order to achieve it.

One doesn't necessarily require the other, although they are complementary. You can describe a whole lot of programming theory in pseudo code, but you can't test any of your assumptions. You can write a whole lot of working code without understanding the theory, but it'll probably be bloated, buggy and unmaintainable.

So I guess to actually answer your question, a recommendation for learning C++? Start simple (really simple), and keep the projects small and fun. Do what you want to do, not so much what some book says you should do.

[Last edited by Tuttle at 03-19-2008 11:16 AM]
03-19-2008 at 11:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
icon Re: C++ question (+1)  
For development with C++ I suggest Microsoft Visual C++, Eclipse or Code::Blocks. For learning, however, you should use Dev-C++. It is a very simple IDE for coding, and it comes with GCC (the compiler). When you are comfortable with the language, move up to something more complex.

And the learning material: Bruce Eckel's free books "Thinking in C++" are a good choice, as they explain all of the OOP in the C++ and some advanced subjects (like templates). The 2nd part is not that good though, as it feels like some sort compiler creator manual (too in-depth). Plus, the "basic" concepts, such as cycles, if switches and others are overviewed briefly in chapter 3 in the first book, so if you're lost, use Google.

If you need a reference, use this site.

03-19-2008 at 04:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : C++ question
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com