Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Museum Of Ooze (Tar, mud, and gel puzzles.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

9.1/10 (29 votes)
σ 1.18
Author Name:LarryMurk
Submitted By:larrymurk
Hold Name:Museum Of Ooze
Theme:Tar, mud, and gel puzzles.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:10
Number of Rooms:45
Number of Monsters:331
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.1)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:4 (+4 / -0)
Poster Message
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
IP: Logged
icon Re: Museum Of Ooze (0)  
Talund:
Click here to view the secret text

Edit: Post collision.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 03-26-2008 09:54 PM]
03-26-2008 at 09:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Museum Of Ooze (+1)  
larrymurk wrote:
talund,

No tricky tricks here:

Mud shape:

Mirror placement:

More than one way to skin a mud baby, I guess.

This is my mud shape:

With strategically placed mirrors.

Josh

03-27-2008 at 11:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
talund
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 95
Thanks to all for help solving this room.

This is an admirable hold - ooze puzzles have come such a long way from the days of tar mazes or room full of tar mothers requiring timing with invisibility potions. Like all of the Larry Murk holds that I have attempted to complete, the puzzles require thought, refine your notion of what is possible with the hold elements, and provide a great deal of satisfaction when complete even if you resort to the hints and solutions board.

Ted
03-27-2008 at 03:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
It's been a while since I've post-mastered that hold, so it will be a very short comment due to memory constraints... I gave this hold 7 brains (challenging in a good way) and 9 for fun. Please keep it up! :)

It's probably not Larrymurk's hardest (or maybe ooze is my niche), but, of course, it'd be a stretch to call this hold easy! Most of the rooms are up to the clever lynchpin standard, and I can only remember a couple rooms that felt trivial (as in, a twenty-second job) and fewer annoying rooms, most notably the very last one. I've felt there was a fairly wide variation in difficulty, but that doesn't matter when you can solve rooms in no particular order.
08-27-2008 at 11:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danteslives
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 48
I wish I could say something really cool like "I just post-mastered this hold, and will give it a 6 in difficulty because some of the hidden rooms were a little bit on the tough side" but I can't because I had enough trouble getting through the seventh floor, that I didn't even attempt to beat the hidden rooms let alone "post-master" the hold. Regardless, this was really nice for the most part even if I did spend a total of two MONTHS, yes, that's correct, MONTHS beating 7W and 7S. I caved and asked for help in the end.

Anyways, thanks for the sweet pain. I gave it a 9 and a 9.
09-02-2008 at 11:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
Something about the Museum kept bring me back for repeated rounds of headscratching. It is definitely the best tarstuff showcase so far.
08-22-2009 at 04:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
OneMoreNameless
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 131
Stupid Tarstuff Tricks: the Hold

Each puzzle comprises a minimalist setup for a single trick. The solutions require enough precision that stumbling upon them is unlikely without already knowing exactly what you're aiming for, but none (final room aside) are tedious to execute once planned out. The difficulty will depend on how familiar you are with tarstuff mechanics already - personally, I thought the exhibit names and floor tiling hints led you along a bit too far and spoiled half the fun in a couple of puzzles. The presentation of the hub and puzzle rooms is lacklustre, but the unlockable 'shows' are a cute reward for finishing each set.

This is a very focused hold and not for everyone, but I was just a little giddy the whole time while playing it. :fun
01-12-2017 at 03:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Museum Of Ooze (Tar, mud, and gel puzzles.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com