Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : I Believe in Imaginary Property (Our news for February.)
Page 4 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
IP: Logged
icon Re: I Believe in Imaginary Property (0)  
I believe in the status quo.

BbJ

04-02-2008 at 07:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
NiroZ wrote:
I just wanted to point out that not everything is completely bad. Even your smelly, eye patch wearing, hook compatible software pirate may see the effort, blood and sweat you put into a game and choose to support it.
I've heard this arguement a lot, but the main problem is that I've yet to meet someone who acted out this hypothetical situation. Sorry about the delay in responding, but I feel strongly about this so figured I'd answer. My outlook on this is similar to calamarain's - we do exist :)

I rarely buy a game without playing the full version first. Conversion rate is extremely high (90%~ish) so I think that's a good thing for the devs (but not for my wallet). DROD is one of the (very) few games where the demo was long enough for me to get a good enough feel to buy it straight off.
04-03-2008 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: I Believe in Imaginary Property (+1)  
Mattcrampy wrote:
I'm guessing Banj is talking about how you're more or less just asking questions of others instead of contributing your own ideas.
The main reason for asking lots of questions and not many points is mainly because my own opinions are very hazy, but here goes. Note that this is only in regards to videogames, I really don't care about films and music.

First of all, there seems to be several main issues when it comes to IP. There is the acknowledgment of the creator of IP, the ownership of IP, the transfer of ownership and multiple ownership of IP plus the right to distribute IP and the protection of the ownership of IP.

I'll start off by saying that I have no beef with the acknowledgment of IP, the creator is the creator, and no reason why this right should be stolen from the creator.

But the other points is another whole ball game. I honestly don't know what my opinion is on this, suffice to say that most theory's on how it should work sound airy fairy given the anonymity afforded by the internet, and the power at the users disposal. On the other hand, absence has been proven time and time again not to be the answer. So what I've stuck to is the fact that I love PC gaming and want to support it in every way I can (not to mention irritated by the fact that by pirating on the PC people are undermining the platform in total), and that includes questioning what other people believe in order to attack faulty ideologies that are simply a facade in order to pirate what they want.

Oh, and Tim, if this was what you were hinting at, why not just come straight out and say it? I really can't see any advantage by simply hinting at it.
04-05-2008 at 06:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
05-05-2008 at 11:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
NiroZ wrote:
Crytec (maker of Crysis and Far Cry) chooses to go multiplatform because of piracy.

In the specific case of Crysis, I have to wonder what % of that pirating market ended up actually playing the game, and what % found out it would only give them 4 or 5 frames a second and just gave up.

The battle to innovate without becoming unreachable on the typical machine certainly isn't helping this market either, especinally when games are infamous for falling on the you need a $3000 machine from 3 years in the future end of the scale.

Producing for consoles as well should hold their next release back from getting the reputation of requiring a quantum computer with black hole heat sink at least, so this should probably help them.

05-05-2008 at 09:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
The truth is, Crytek made lots of money from Far Cry on the consoles, especially the Wii, judging by the number of Far Cry: Vengence copies in my local gameshop.

In the bargain bin. Lots. No one actually buys them. The game was, well, made with a smaller budget than the original Far Cry, and it plays that way too (probably the worst FPS ever on the Wii).

Why did it made a lot of money? Nintendo's policies are to never to accept games from the gameshops back it they didn't sell, so a Wii game in the gameshop is actually a sale.

If you can make a rushed game on a shoestring budget, and it still makes lots of profit, why bother to spend lots of money on a PC version? I predict that with that kind of short term management Crytek will be sold out to EA, or Ubisoft within 5 years. (Mental note: need to investigate how to get shares for that company.)

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/31/ubisoft-admits-to-over-porting-wii/

[Last edited by Tim at 05-07-2008 07:19 PM]
05-07-2008 at 07:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 4 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : I Believe in Imaginary Property (Our news for February.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com