Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Palaces Drive (Easy To Medium )
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

4.7/10 (25 votes)
σ 1.99
Author Name:Emanuel
Submitted By:DyRsOfDh14
Hold Name:The Palaces Drive
Theme:Easy To Medium
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:9
Number of Rooms:135
Number of Monsters:5276
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: The Palaces Drive.hold (52.6 KB)
Downloaded 1418 times.
License: Other
icon The Palaces Drive  
The story tells the king tar is waiting in the slime castel, and Beethro need to kill him!
01-15-2008 at 02:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: The Palaces Drive (+1)  
I don't have much to say about this hold. It's fairly straightforward and not particularly difficult.

While it has some rooms that are of a type that has fallen into disfavor (tar on wall maze, tar on trapdoors), the puzzles of these types are few and not very complex.

So it's OK. I give it a 5 for fun and 3 brains.

Josh

01-15-2008 at 03:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
fratropea
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
The good,old DROD. I love it!
It is very relaxing!!!

I give 8 and 3 brains.

[Last edited by fratropea at 01-17-2008 11:10 PM]
01-17-2008 at 11:08 PM
JoMax
Rank Points: 65
I agree with fratropea

A nice relaxing hold, not difficult which can be a pleasant change :)

6 and 3 brains
01-20-2008 at 03:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
I'm glad y'all enjoyed this. 'cause as for me: not so much. Between rooms like Catacombs 1W, which ends around move 100 and then has another 270 mechanical moves; Lava Castel 1S, which required 250 tedious moves every time you have to cross it; Cliffs Palace 2S1W, which just involved holding down control-turn for 450 moves... I described it at one point as being like someone said, "I'm intrigued by this concept of 'holds', but the ones I've seen are just too interesting."

Add to that the misspellings, like "Castel" for "Castle", "Monsters's" for "Monsters'", and for that matter the missing apostrophe in "Palaces", and really, I found the hold more irritating than fun.
02-05-2008 at 03:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
talund
Rank Points: 95
Too much meandering, pointless movements. All slash without the flash... This hold has little to no challenge to it. On the other hand, have I put up a hold for criticism? So while this is not my type of hold and it obviously works for others as a diversion, I have to give the creator credit for trying.
02-08-2008 at 05:51 PM
Nosdrah Circtrebla
Rank Points: 30
icon The Palaces Drive (+2)  
Not all holds have to be diffcult. I think they should be fun and enjoyable. I liked it. Thanks and keep up the good work. Even though it may not be diffcult, it still took time and you should be applauded for your efforts.

02-08-2008 at 09:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: The Palaces Drive (+3)  
In the spirit of the whole "increasing activity" thing, I am going to make more of an effort to comment on holds I play. And so...

The first few levels of this hold aren't too bad. A few rooms are kind of pointless but there are some okay puzzles and nothing is terribly tedious. As well, to echo what others have said : not every hold has to be really difficult or full of lynchpin puzzles. Sometimes it's relaxing to conquer a few straightforward rooms. It's also good to have some easy holds for new players or for players who want to play DRoD but don't enjoy having their brains leak out their ears.

However... it really looks like the architect started to run out of ideas before he ran out of hold. Some advice for your next hold : shorter can be better. If you have 10 good rooms, publish a 10 room hold. Don't add an extra 10 rooms simply for bulk. Or in this case, an extra 60. It's like adding breadcrumbs to hamburger: yeah it'll go farther, but it won't taste as good. Had this hold just consisted of about 45 of the better rooms, it would have gotten a 7 overall from me, instead of a 5. There are some seriously tedious rooms and most of them I didn't even bother to try and optimise because I could not bring myself to play through again. But there is also some good stuff here. Not hard, but good.

All that said, this hold can be finished quickly. It's really not at all difficult and if you're just looking for something simple to get a few more rooms under your belt, this hold won't tax you too much. Just walk carefully in some of those trapdoor rooms. A lack of checkpoints and puzzle will have you tearing your hair out if you misstep.

Rating: Overall 5; Difficulty 2

[Last edited by noma at 03-11-2009 06:15 PM : sp]
03-11-2009 at 06:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
In the spirit of Noma's actions, I'm going to do the same: comment on holds I play.

First, I think this hold is way too long. Don't get me wrong, long holds aren't bad just because they're long. But unfortunately long holds tend to repeat things and have a lot of hack and slash rooms.

This hold has a few interesting room designs, but nothing special really. It's very easy, no real challenge is in it.

The thing that struck me as absolutely tedious is the backtracking in some levels. I hate to drop entire trapdoor puzzles again just to get to the exit.

A 4 for fun and a 3 for brains.
03-13-2009 at 07:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I started playing through this one per noma's recommendation. It was pretty good at first--made me put my thinking cap on for a bit, but the last few levels seemed extraneous, with some hasty hold-filling rooms. Seemed to be no rhyme nor reason to monster placement.

Still, this hold let me put on my optimizer's hat quite a bit. For coming so late to the hold, I'm happy with the scores I've gotten. This is a good hold for a returning optimizer--knocks some of the rust off, and there's enough open space that there's room for improvement in many rooms. 5 brains, 5 fun.

03-19-2009 at 03:23 AM
cbemom
Rank Points: 36
Just finished this hold. I enjoyed it overall - not too brain-busting, but not boring. i would have liked to see a little more challenge to the pit puzzles and a couple less hit-seven-orbs-to-open-gate.

I will play your next hold - any out yet?

03-26-2009 at 11:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
This is not a good hold.

Sort of along the lines of Noma's comment, the first few levels seemed alright (no puzzles, just slashing), but then it got really tedious.

You see entire rooms filled with trapdoor puzzles with random walls in the middle, not to make it hard but just to make it tedious.

You see entire rooms filled with a serpent that just requires waiting so you can kill a single roach.

You see long, tedious routes through breakable walls, just because.

I also had problems knowing what direction to go. The architect did do a good job letting you backtrack through everything, but I found myself backtracking a lot because I simply went up at the first room instead of down and had to go back to get some missed rooms to exit. There really was no order, the rooms just kind of branched out and wound around and you'd probably have to go back through a bunch of cleared rooms to get to other ones.

Toward the end I would enter a room and just want to quit because it was just more hacking without really any thought. If that's what you want then go ahead, otherwise, pass.

07-10-2013 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Palaces Drive (Easy To Medium ) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com