Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Australia bound
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Australia bound (0)  
In about one hour, I'm finally leaving for my vacation, heading down to Sydney to visit my family... It's been four years since I was last in Australia and one of my cousins has a brand new baby for me to meet, so I'm very excited.

Anyway, other than sharing this because it makes me very happy, I'll probably be away from the board for a while. Or not, depending on how jetlagged I'll be and what else I'll have to do at four o'clock in the morning when I can't sleep (I suffer very badly from jetlag, so this is quite likely).

I'll be back to New York and my regular computer in two weeks.

12-23-2003 at 05:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Australia bound (0)  
Aww...I wanna go! Don't worry, we won't talk about you too much while you're gone. :gossip

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 12-23-2003 at 07:14 PM GMT]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-23-2003 at 07:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Be sure to drop in on Matt while you're down there, he said yesterday that he's out of cheese.

12-23-2003 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
eytanz today - :)

eytanz tomorrow - :fun

12-24-2003 at 12:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Other way around Schik its you guys that are upside down not us :ras
12-24-2003 at 01:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
I assume you live in the southern hemisphere?

- to bring science in, nobody is really upside down, as the earth is spherical, so its gravity pulls us all inwards. So in your [school of thought](?) you could only be standing straight on the North Magnetic Pole. However, there is no up or down in space. So there is no-one to say which way is the top on the Earth. The maps are only shown that way because it is traditional to show north as the top of the map - turning it upside down would still be absolutely correct. Ptolemy (a Greek philosopher, lived somewhere around 100 AD) was the first to make a complete map of the world as it was known, and he used north as up, so we have continued to this day.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
12-24-2003 at 01:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
The_Red_Hawk wrote:

Yeah I live in Australia best place in the world IMHO :)
12-24-2003 at 01:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
If we vote on that.....

.....unless it turns out that the majority of the forum is Australian.

12-24-2003 at 02:14 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
The_Red_Hawk wrote:

- to bring science in, nobody is really upside down, as the earth is spherical, so its gravity pulls us all inwards. So in your [school of thought](?) you could only be standing straight on the North Magnetic Pole. However, there is no up or down in space. So there is no-one to say which way is the top on the Earth. The maps are only shown that way because it is traditional to show north as the top of the map - turning it upside down would still be absolutely correct. Ptolemy (a Greek philosopher, lived somewhere around 100 AD) was the first to make a complete map of the world as it was known, and he used north as up, so we have continued to this day.
:shhocking Yeah, right. The next thing you know you'll be telling me that I won't fall off the edge of the earth if I go too far in any direction.

12-24-2003 at 02:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Schik wrote: :shhocking Yeah, right. The next thing you know you'll be telling me that I won't fall off the edge of the earth if I go too far in any direction.

Sorry, science again. You're probably getting bored by now.

Look up "sphere" in the dictionary (but maybe we don't have the same dictionary...). I know the earth isn't a perfect sphere, but it's good enough. A sphere (and same with circles, except 2D) is a round 3D object with an infinite number of indistinguishable sides (or something like that). This means that you "fall off" an uncountable number of edges every time you take a step.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

12-24-2003 at 03:13 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
A tip, Eytan: While in Sydney, there's a creature you should watch out for, especially in the mornings.

It is easily distinguishable by its fast gait and Vodafone branding. Be sure not to cross it, or else it will declare war on you or charge you ten percent GST.

:lol

Apart from watching out for our Prime Minister, you may want to be careful under trees. You get drop bears very rarely in Sydney, but they're far more common outside. Lethal things, drop bears.

While you're in Sydney, check out Taronga Zoo (if only to go over there and go 'my, that's a lot of trees!', the ferries, and the New Year's Eve fireworks on the harbour. One of the best displays in the world, and a damn site better than that 'dropping ball and lots of glitter' crap New York pulls.

I guess you could check out Darling Harbour, Centrepoint Tower, the bridge (climbable for a fee) and Sydney Opera House, but they're obvious.

I guess there's also Canberra, but I find it harder and harder to recommend ever since they stopped letting people climb on top of it.

(Australia's Parliament House is an artifical hill, with grass on top. Until recently, tourists were allowed to walk up it, take a look around, roll back down, what have you. It's a hill with politicians underneath. An innovation in tourism!)

The kangaroo public transport is also a great find.

Matt

[Edited by Mattcrampy on 12-24-2003 at 06:15 AM GMT]

12-24-2003 at 06:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Hawk, I think you are in serious need of an injection of "sense of humour" as you take things far, far too seriously for this forum. I mean seriously, next you're going to post the definition of sarcasm...

12-25-2003 at 01:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
DiMono wrote:
Hawk, I think you are in serious need of an injection of "sense of humour" as you take things far, far too seriously for this forum. I mean seriously, next you're going to post the definition of sarcasm...

No, I'm not. I knew Schik was joking, I just though it would be interesting to say that.

And Matt, are you sure that Eytan was able to access your message? because apparently he already left. (Or will he have a computer in Australia?)

12-25-2003 at 04:08 PM
Mattcrampy
Hmm... it may be difficult to access the Internet, because Telstra sucks. I mean really sucks. They changed the definition of 'broadband' so they could say that 90% of people had access to broadband.

(Remember, Australia is quite spread out. Half the population lives in small towns/urban sprawls far away from capital cities, so unlike in America covering the majority of the country is unprofitable because no-one really uses it. I mean, who has a mobile phone out in the desert?)

Matt

12-26-2003 at 04:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
DiMono wrote:

sar·casm (sär'kăz'әm)
n.

1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
3. The use of sarcasm. See Synonyms at wit.

Hey, someone had to.

Matt

12-26-2003 at 05:05 AM
The_Red_Hawk
I thought of doing that after DiMono's post just for fun, but decided against it. ;)

12-26-2003 at 02:26 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
:blowup
12-28-2003 at 06:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Australia bound
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com