Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Dungeon Country (Medium And Fun )
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

4.6/10 (18 votes)
σ 1.95
Author Name:Emanuel
Submitted By:DyRsOfDh14
Hold Name:Dungeon Country
Theme:Medium And Fun
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:7
Number of Rooms:84
Number of Monsters:953
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:1 (+1 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Dungeon Country.hold (24.6 KB)
Downloaded 1381 times.
License: Other
icon Dungeon Country  
Beethro founds himself in the dungeon country and he wants to exit, but he can only exit by the secret cavern of the country!
01-03-2008 at 03:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Dungeon Country (0)  
Hmmm... Really don't see why this was released - it's not of the standard we'd expect on the Holds board.

I'll post full comments once I've finished...

[EDIT]

Is Dark City: 1N2E possible? The goblins cant't leave their shelter...

[EDIT2]

Got it.

[Last edited by Syntax at 01-04-2008 08:21 AM]
01-04-2008 at 08:00 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Syntax wrote:
Hmmm... Really don't see why this was released - it's not of the standard we'd expect on the Holds board.
I don't know what you mean by standard, but there are 2 more similar holds of the same architect waiting to be promoted on the HA boards.

01-04-2008 at 11:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Tim wrote:
Syntax wrote:
I don't know what you mean by standard, but there are 2 more similar holds of the same architect waiting to be promoted on the HA boards.
Just because it's got all the elements that are frowned upon.

It's got plenty of tar mazes, mostly with trapdoors underneath.
Long winding corridors which take ages to cross just to get to a solitary roach.
Hack 'n' Slash rooms which just seem to be lots of monsters dumped in a mass.
Filler rooms.
Backtracking issues.

It's got a few interesting puzzles but maybe these ought to be combined into a single hold with all the good elements. Guess that should have happened a beta testing.

Then again, every hold might deserve to be released as it represents no doubt a lot of work. I just probably won't play them...

As for the new holds by DyRsOfDh14, I can't comment as I haven't seen them. This particular one was written 6 years ago so there's no doubt been plenty of improvement since.
01-04-2008 at 11:19 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Syntax wrote:
It's got a few interesting puzzles but maybe these ought to be combined into a single hold with all the good elements. Guess that should have happened a beta testing.
That actually did happen in the Architecture thread.
As for the new holds by DyRsOfDh14, I can't comment as I haven't seen them. This particular one was written 6 years ago so there's no doubt been plenty of improvement since.
I doubt that. I've also see his JtRH hold with the same creation year. And I'm sure JtRH wasn't released in 2001. But I have the feeling that this is the best of the three.

01-04-2008 at 12:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Syntax wrote:
Just because it's got all the elements that are frowned upon.

It's got plenty of tar mazes, mostly with trapdoors underneath.
Long winding corridors which take ages to cross just to get to a solitary roach.
Hack 'n' Slash rooms which just seem to be lots of monsters dumped in a mass.
Filler rooms.
Backtracking issues.

HAs don't check for anything except that last one. If there are any significant backtracking issues, they should have been caught in the HA process, but other than that we wouldn't have blocked promotion for any of those reasons.

(Doesn't sound like much fun, though...)

Josh

01-04-2008 at 01:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
icon Re: Dungeon Country (+1)  
There are some fun rooms here.
I did urge the architect to hold off publishing until he'd improved the hold and did offer to write more extensive comments, but he went ahead and published.
Oh well. Hopefully he'll take on board what we're saying here.

01-04-2008 at 01:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Has anyone noticed that if the architect has to use the word "fun" in the description, it's practically never fun? Kind of like naming one's country the People's Democratic Republic of China or the Holy Roman Empire seems to guarantee the opposite?

[Last edited by Jatopian at 02-02-2008 10:29 PM]
01-05-2008 at 04:06 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
As a HA who tested this hold, I noticed one obvious backtracking issue, but it did not have ANY effect on completability. I also found one layout that could lead to a backtrack issue, but only if you were looking to create that situation. A third issue that I thought was a backtrack issue turned out to be a non-issue later.

If there are more issues, I did not catch them.

Aside from that, I stand by Jblue's comments. HA doesn't check for quality, just quality assurance. Yes, that sounds weird.

Check the friendly note for more details, if you haven't already.

[Last edited by zex20913 at 01-10-2008 02:23 AM]
01-10-2008 at 02:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
You know, based on all the comments, I was kind of dreading this; but I wanted to see what it was really like. In the end, it wasn't really that bad, given that I'd been set up to expect Bad Evil Restaurant II: Restaurant Boogaloo.

The main thing is that it wasn't, well, fun. I mean, it wasn't bad; OK, sure, there was a little bit of "walk down this long passage", a little bit of "maneuver under the tar", but not so much that I ever thought, "What a bad hold." It was just...joyless, really.

EDIT: Looking at the ratings, something strikes me that struck me while playing. In particular, it's got an average difficulty of 4 (I gave it a 2), whereas the author put it at 6.5. What I thought while playing is that, if you don't have any real experience with goblin and snake manipulation, some of the rooms in this hold may not be as trivial as I found them; I think the architect's assessment of the hold's difficulty reflects that. Perhaps, for people at the architect's level of play, the hold is more interesting. (Note: I'm not saying easy holds can't be fun, but this wasn't "easy", it was mostly trivial, which is different.)

[Last edited by Tahnan at 01-10-2008 09:41 PM]
01-10-2008 at 09:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
JoMax
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 65
I kinda enjoyed this hold. It is sometimes pleasant to have a hold where you can just play through it without having to think too much - relaxing...

My favourite/most taxing room PLE Town:1N

My rating 2 brains and 5 for enjoyment
01-11-2008 at 01:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
fratropea
Rank Points: 87
JoMax wrote:
I kinda enjoyed this hold. It is sometimes pleasant to have a hold where you can just play through it without having to think too much - relaxing...

I agree with you...

[Last edited by fratropea at 01-17-2008 11:03 PM]
01-17-2008 at 11:01 PM
Nosdrah Circtrebla
Rank Points: 30
icon Dungeon Country (+1)  
I must say that for as long as I have been playing this game. I have never played this hold. Good Job. It really not to diffcult, but very enjoyable. These are the type of holds that I really enjoy. I'm not very good at the puzzle holds and if there is not any help on the forum, well, they usually go unfinished. Anyway, good job. I'm going to look for some more of you holds.

02-08-2008 at 09:38 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I'm bumping this topic because for the longest time, no one could get highscores for Dungeon Country : Dark City : 1 North, 2 West or Dungeon Country : The Secret Cavern of the Country : 4 East. Big thanks to Schik for fixing the problem. Now everyone can go ahead and upload their scores for these two rooms. :)
09-03-2009 at 02:50 AM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Not bad. There was nothing that really stood out but there was a bit of variety, it was easy, and as others have noted, fairly relaxing to play through. Recommended for a slow afternoon.

01-20-2012 at 02:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Dungeon Country (Medium And Fun ) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com