Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Jump potions! (Like it?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Like it?
Yes.
Nah.
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
IP: Logged
icon Jump potions! (0)  
A object that makes you go 2 or more squers instead of 1 each time ya move!
12-17-2007 at 09:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Jump potions! (0)  
I think this is a little too close to speed potions to create many more puzzles. I mean, sure, you could jump over gaps, but it would just look a bit weird moving 2 squares in one turn..
12-17-2007 at 10:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
I know!
But it would do much more puzzles!
12-17-2007 at 03:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
I would use tunnels...
12-17-2007 at 09:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Garlonuss
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 275
icon Re: Jump potions! (+2)  
13th Slayer wrote:
But it would do much more puzzles!

I wouldn't say that it opens "much more puzzles." More puzzles, yes, but not that many. Yes, you could jump over pits but, as Syntax points out, the effect can already be done with tunnels. (The current ability to get a similar effect doesn't necessarily mean it couldn't be good but, in this case, I think it's a severe blow to the idea.)

You could do a puzzle where you have to adjust your jumps in order to actually land on or jump over pressure plates as needed, but that merely creates a new form of orb-puzzle potential. There isn't a lot of variety there. Yes, there are many many room configurations that can be created to capitalize off of that, but they'd be using the same gimmick over and over.

Of course, it could be cool to jump over snakes, but, again, that'd get kinda old.

Maybe, instead of jumping potions, you could place jumping tokens of matching color? I'm not a big fan of that idea, but it'd be different from tunnels in that they don't need to be placed on ordinals of each other. You step on the red jump token and it immediately sends you to the sister token of the same color. If there's more than two tokens of the same color, it jumps to the closest one, or, in the case of a tie in distance, the one it finds first in a clockwise sweep from straight up. This could even make a series of tokens where A jumps to B, but B doesn't jump to A because C is closer. Maybe this should be on its own topic, but I'm reluctant to do it since I personally don't like it that much. I just think it has more potential than the jump potion as currently suggested.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Garlonuss at 12-17-2007 10:25 PM]
12-17-2007 at 10:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Daneel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 35
The new puzzle I see from this would be a new type of maze. You can no longer travel through the same passages, since you may now need to find ways to correct your parity.
12-31-2007 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Jump potions! (Like it?) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com