Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : You Can't Please Everyone: Metanet Interview
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon You Can't Please Everyone: Metanet Interview (+2)  
An unfavourable press mention: Metanet mention they've been playing DROD for the IGF, and discussion turns to Danforth's ambushes in our sell screens: http://indygamer.blogspot.com/2007/11/metanet-interview.html

The reason sell screens stick around even once you've bought the game, incidentally, is that it's a repurposed confirmation dialogue. Personally, I think sell screens are ripe for parody, which is probably why Erik writes the sell screens instead of me. I guess the whole 'overzealous, slightly pathetic salesman' joke doesn't click for everyone.

11-27-2007 at 10:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: You Can't Please Everyone: Metanet Interview (+1)  
It's weird how these guys take such an insider tone that I don't quite understand what they mean even when they are talking about our game.

"Can you believe they use the same scam?"

What was the previous scam?

"Yeah, that is in our feedback already."

IGF judging feedback, I presume.

"PCFM pops open the author's website.."

What's a "PCFM"?

"but the game's free anyway"

Hmmm. I don't know if they are playing the demo or the full version that we provided to IGF. I hope they are playing the full version.

"I dont know why they never put an impossible puzzle in, and post the solution on their website."

If there was an impossible puzzle, how could we post the solution? And is the idea that this would be an extra bit of scamminess? I guess my sarcasm detector isn't working properly.

Confusing, but still... I appreciate the mention (wouldn't call it "unfavorable" at all). It's good that people like our game enough to poke at it.

-Erik

11-27-2007 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
ErikH2000 wrote:
"PCFM pops open the author's website.."

What's a "PCFM"?
Uh, Erik - from there on they're talking about "Polychromatic Funk Monkey", not DROD... ;)

np: Denzel + Huhn - Ndr (Paraport)

11-27-2007 at 07:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: You Can't Please Everyone: Metanet Interview (0)  
Briareos wrote:
Uh, Erik - from there on they're talking about "Polychromatic Funk Monkey", not DROD... ;)
Ah! Well, that clears up better than half of my confusion. My fault for thinking in such a DROD-centric way!

-Erik

11-27-2007 at 08:28 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I was as confused as Erik when reading this.

I must admit being rather upset at the idea that Metanet wouldn't be able to appreciate DROD. N and DROD are the 2 games I have spent most of the last 5 years playing so I would have hoped the creators would be capable of respecting each other's work.

Thanks Briareos for clarifying the confusion :)
11-27-2007 at 08:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I believe the 'scam' is Danforth on the sell screen that doesn't go away even if you've bought the game.

N and DROD are the 2 games I have spent most of the last 5 years playing so I would have hoped the creators would be capable of respecting each other's work.

Sadly, it doesn't always work out this way. I mean, I appreciate N, sure, but from what I gather I doubt I'd enjoy a drink with the guys.

11-28-2007 at 12:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Note the 'scam' remark was by the interviewer. This:
Also, Raigan played DROD and Polychromatic Funk Monkey WAYY too long.
sounds to me like someone appreciated the game.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 11-28-2007 12:51 PM]
11-28-2007 at 12:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Could it be we're all reading waaay too much into that small snippet concerning DROD? :|

Just saying...

np: Bola - Forcasa 3 (Skampler)

11-28-2007 at 04:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
I got an e-mail from Tim yesterday. He said the interview was put together really quickly and he regretted using the word "scam". It wasn't meant in a literal sense. He and Raigan are both big fans of DROD, and they like Danforth too.

I usually don't say things about what people e-mail me privately, but I didn't want Syntax, Crampy, and others thinking that Tim and Raigan would be bad company for a trip to the pub.

-Erik

11-28-2007 at 05:20 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
ErikH2000 wrote:
I usually don't say things about what people e-mail me privately, but I didn't want Syntax, Crampy, and others thinking that Tim and Raigan would be bad company for a trip to the pub.

-Erik
Erm... No-one is ;)
11-28-2007 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : You Can't Please Everyone: Metanet Interview
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com