Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Other good puzzle games
Page 1 of 10
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon Other good puzzle games (+2)  
So, I am feeling pretty confident about my DROD-solving skills, as I rocketed from level 8 to level 17 in a few hours of playtime (only a few days). Even level 13 without using the tips on this site, but then real life work caught up. So, I started searching The Underdogs for more unique action/puzzle games. The only one I found so far that worked in Windows XP was an oldie-but-goodie: Chip\'s Challenge. There\'s a good website here: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/nfield/ChipChallenge/chip.htm which even has additional levels. Does anyone else have any suggestions that work on modern computers, i.e., not DOS? Yeah, I know some games do work in DOS in Windows XP, but not all of them. Ideally a freeware game, of course.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 04-01-2003 at 03:32 PM GMT]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-02-2003 at 12:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Other good puzzle games (+1)  
Does anyone else have any suggestions that work on modern computers, i.e., not DOS?

Chip\'s Challenge is a classic. I\'ve played it through three times, which is a lot for me. I can\'t believe that game went on so long with the crummy Microsoft version of the game. Thankfully, somebody wrote a better and free version for Windows.

Other puzzle games I like:
* Mummy\'s Maze
* Tower of the Sorceror
* Motion Madness
* Lasertank
* Hero\'s Heart (and the slew of MESH sequels)

-Erik

04-02-2003 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Other good puzzle games (0)  
If you\'re looking for freeware of any kind I suggest you visit Gamehippo. They have loads of games that are all freeware. Most of them are pretty bad but there are a fair few good games there. Click on \"Top 20 Rated\" to get a list of quality games.

I\'m more of an adventure game person myself, but I strongly recommend Super Bubble Blob - a platform game but no baddies to kill, just a \'get to the exit\' game. Tower of the Sorcerer (as Erik mentioned) is also a good choice.

And... it\'s completely the wrong genre - it\'s a point and click adventure - but if you like puzzles try Out of Order. It\'s one of the best freewares I know (excluding DROD, but that was originally commercial :)).

Hope that helps you.

"Oook!"
04-02-2003 at 05:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Has anyone here ever played The 7th Guest? I played (and beat) that game at a very young age over the course of about a year. It has some ingenious puzzles (the scrambled sentence and the game you played against Stauf were my favorites) and a great story to boot.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
04-02-2003 at 07:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
I tried to play the 7th Guest when it came out way back when, but I think it required Windows 95 and I only had DOS. And then when I upgraded my computer, I didn\'t have a good enough video card, or something else conflicted, so I never did get to play that game. I did hear it was pretty good, and I thought they released a sequel.

Anyway, I just found out that this Boulderdash clone has been upgraded, and they fixed a bug that caused me to stop playing it. It\'s called Subterra, and is located here: http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/subterra/index.html
These guys make some cool shareware RPGs in the style of the old Ultimas, so if you are into that you should check them out.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-03-2003 at 09:59 PM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Wow I know the guy that runs spiderware. Well not persnally but he plays the same online game as me.
04-04-2003 at 02:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
icon Re: Re: Other good puzzle games (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
I tried to play the 7th Guest when it came out way back when, but I think it required Windows 95 and I only had DOS. And then when I upgraded my computer, I didn\'t have a good enough video card, or something else conflicted, so I never did get to play that game. I did hear it was pretty good, and I thought they released a sequel.
The 7th Guest was an incredible game. They did make a sequal (The 11th Hour), but it sucked. It had some OK puzzles and the graphics were alright, but everything else about it sucked.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
04-04-2003 at 05:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Is there any way to get this \"The 7th Guest\" as either share or freeware? I\'m a cheap guy, yes, and I don\'t need the hassles of the internet search engines...

04-04-2003 at 07:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Ah, I just thought of something else. For those of you who like pencil-and-paper games, there is a great website out there that has hundreds of paint-by-number (PBN)puzzles. No, not the PBNs you need crayons to finish, but the kind where you have numbers on the borders and use logic to fill in the squares. Check it out for yourself, they have a nifty java applet for solving the puzzle and you can even save your progress if you can\'t finish it in one sitting.

http://www02.so-net.ne.jp/~kajitani/

Game on,

04-16-2003 at 10:43 PM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Theres a site www.kaser.com that makes puzzle games. They are all shareware though there are demo versions available for download. The are all logic games and some are very different.
04-17-2003 at 01:36 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
scott wrote:
Theres a site www.kaser.com that makes puzzle games. They are all shareware though there are demo versions available for download. The are all logic games and some are very different.

Curse you for introducing me to this site. This is just one more thing which I can procrastinate with.

04-28-2003 at 05:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
Erik said that someone created a non-microsoft freeware version of Chip's Challenge. Where can I download that?

Thanks
04-29-2003 at 09:57 PM
ErikH2000
bradwall wrote:
Erik said that someone created a non-microsoft freeware version of Chip's Challenge. Where can I download that?
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/nfield/ChipChallenge/message2.htm

...which is actually a message from the original author of CC with links to the TileWorld download. Note that you can't get the original CC levels with this, but there is a nice new collection of levels to play.

-Erik

04-29-2003 at 10:10 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Oneiromancer wrote:
The only one I found so far that worked in Windows XP was an oldie-but-goodie: Chip's Challenge. There's a good website here: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/nfield/ChipChallenge/chip.htm which even has additional levels.

ErikH2000 wrote:
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/nfield/ChipChallenge/message2.htm

...which is actually a message from the original author of CC with links to the TileWorld download. Note that you can't get the original CC levels with this, but there is a nice new collection of levels to play.

Well, they do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... ;)

Game on,

04-29-2003 at 11:05 PM
bradwall
Rank Points: 423
I have always loved Othello Deluxe
http://bradwall.theizzi.com/MyPrograms/MyProgramsIndex.html

But, that may be becuase I programmed it.
05-12-2003 at 11:42 PM
Sokko
Rank Points: 336
I absolutely adore The Incredible Machine 3. (which is the Windows version of TIM2, if you're paying attention) But I can't find it anywhere! I'm 99% sure it's abandonware, yet no-one has it. Arghf. Besides, I used to have TIM2, but that's DOS and it would never work on my new computer. You'd think I was legally entitled to download the Windows version, but that may be stretching a bit. ;)

05-17-2003 at 01:19 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Sokko wrote:
I absolutely adore The Incredible Machine 3. (which is the Windows version of TIM2, if you're paying attention) But I can't find it anywhere!
This is the one called "Return of the Incredible Machine: Contraptions", right? There's also a Mac version, I believe, and another add-on called "The Incredible Machine: Even More Contraptions" which has another set of really well-made levels. As far as I know, these games are still for sale. I bought the two-pack of these for $10 at Wal-Mart recently. For those of you who don't have a Wal-Mart close by, I guess you could order these on Amazon. There's also a pile of them being sold on eBay.com. If that won't work for you either, maybe you could arrange for someone in the U.S. or elsewhere to pick up a copy and ship it to you.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-17-2003 at 01:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sokko
No, TIM3 is just a Windows version of TIM2, it's not Contraptions. That's a totally different thing. I think.

05-17-2003 at 09:26 PM
Sokko
Haha, I have obtained a copy of Even More Contraptions from my cousin who no longer uses it, and it's great! Only problem is, I've just come across a puzzle (Easy level!) that makes me certain they've left out a part. Only way to know for sure is to get a walkthrough, but you just can't find anything whatsoever about this game on the internet at all! Argh. Could you help?

05-18-2003 at 11:22 PM
missbrittany
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
I mentioned this on another thread, but I've found some terrific puzzle games on:
www.popcap.com
A few good word games, and more than a few Snood/Tetris kind of games. I haven't come across any sort of bug in any of the games, and they're all free. (Of course, they want you to buy the deluxe versions.)
Most games have a few skill levels to choose from, and most also have a choice between strategy or time trial modes.
ps...I swear I don't work for PopCap games. :D

05-19-2003 at 03:42 AM
Oneiromancer
The only Popcap game I really liked was Mummy Maze, but I didn't really want to pay the money for the deluxe version...I didn't see myself playing it enough for that.

Game on,

05-19-2003 at 05:12 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Sokko wrote:
Only way to know for sure is to get a walkthrough, but you just can't find anything whatsoever about this game on the internet at all! Argh. Could you help?
There is a walkthrough on the web. ...at least there WAS a solutions page... Ok, here's one for "Even More Contraptions" (the add-on) at:

http://www1.freewebs.com/pjhussey/

There was one for "Contraptions" (the first one) at:

www.theincrediblemachine.net/solutions/index.php

...but it seems that Sierra took it down recently... :( (Do a Google search on "the incredible machine contraptions solutions expert" and click on the "Cached" link to see what it was like.)

But I've been through all the "easy" boards, so they ARE all solvable. :)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-19-2003 at 05:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sokko
Nevermind, one of the hints was misleading. And I don't really think of EMC as an "add-on" per se, because it stands on its own. 'Cause that's all I have!

05-21-2003 at 12:30 AM
Sokko
Thanks alot for that link!

05-21-2003 at 12:32 AM
curitre
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
I though I recognized Erik's name from 5-6 years ago. This is Roland, author of Motion Madness. Long time no hear. Motion Madness 3.0 is available at www.curitenterprises.com/motionmadness in case anyone is interested. The site even has Erik's name listed as one of the few that have solved all the puzzles.

When I get more time (yeah, right) I will have to take another look at DROD. Looks like you've come a long way since the mid 90s.

Roland
06-11-2003 at 05:56 PM
View Profile Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
curitre wrote:
I though I recognized Erik's name from 5-6 years ago. This is Roland, author of Motion Madness. Long time no hear.
Hey there, oldtimer from way back! Good to know you are still around. MM is a classic, in my opinion. I haven't seen other games that use the same "time machine" interface.
site even has Erik's name listed as one of the few that have solved all the puzzles.
Yeah, but earning an M.D. was a lot easier back then--less levels to master. I got grandfathered in.

-Erik

06-11-2003 at 08:07 PM
Oneiromancer
Motion Madness seems pretty cool...I applied to register already and bookmarked it. It's not searchable through Google yet, hopefully that will be fixed soon.

Game on,

06-11-2003 at 09:40 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
curitre wrote:
Motion Madness 3.0 is available at www.curitenterprises.com/motionmadness in case anyone is interested.

Oh man. This game is going to use up waaaay more time than I should let it. :eyes

And Erik, I just noticed you made Deathrace 2000. Nice one. Thought I had it, except for... one... small... detail.

06-12-2003 at 03:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
Okay... Now that I've at least looked at a lot of the levels... I think this one might be too hard for my feeble brain. I'm pretty sure about 90% of the levels are actually impossible. :blink

06-12-2003 at 04:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I registered one copy at work, but I haven't gotten a code to register my home copy yet - I'm hoping that's because they only send codes during the daytime or something, rather than that I can't register two copies under one name...

06-12-2003 at 04:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 10
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Other good puzzle games
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No