Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Another request for help ((particularly from those of you who know about Graphics(?) software)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Elfstone
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1285
IP: Logged

File: Card-design.jpg (22.4 KB)
Downloaded 81 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Another request for help (0)  
I have a strange (to me) problem with the printing of a file. I designed my own Christmas cards and one of the designs does not print as it appears on the screen. I have emailed the tech people at the support part of the site of the software involved, (Print Explosion) but a week later I have had no reply, so I am turning once agin to you good people in the hope that someone here understands what is going wrong with this (and can help me to make it right :) ).

I will attach an image of what the card looks like to this post and make another post for the resulting print.

11-16-2007 at 11:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone

File: Card-print.jpg (31.8 KB)
Downloaded 68 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Another request for help (0)  
I scanned a print to show what the print looks like - the colours are wrong and in distinct bands, rather than just gradually altering form light to dark.

11-16-2007 at 11:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
I've never used the software you mention, but check if you are printing in draft mode. You should find a checkbox somewhere in the print settings.

Steve.
11-16-2007 at 11:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Thanks Stephen, but I printed the copy which I scanned in High/best quality mode, on 120gsm paper.

11-16-2007 at 11:29 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Stephen4Louise wrote:
I've never used the software you mention, but check if you are printing in draft mode. You should find a checkbox somewhere in the print settings.
Errr... I don't think printing in draft mode will change the orientation of the gradient in the background by 90 degrees - in her original, it's oriented left/right, while in the scan it's up/down... :huh

(Then again - is that gradient meant to look as in your first image? Looks a bit strange...)

What printer do you have, Elfstone? And is that your only card with a gradient in the background, or are there others where a left/right gradient comes out fine?

If the gradient's orientation is different in print vs. on screen, I'd hazard a guess that the postscript code that's generated to render the gradient on the printer is faulty (which would explain the wrong orientation and colors), but that's a software problem only fixable either by updating the software, the OS' printer subsystem, the printer driver or (if it's a postscript printer) the printer's firmware.

But also - Elfstone, does that software have an option to export the cards as an image? Exporting your card to a high-res (300 dpi or more), uncompressed image then printing that with a different application might work around the problem.

[Last edited by Briareos at 11-16-2007 12:57 PM]
11-16-2007 at 12:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
It looks suspiciously like the printer has run out of a particular colour, (green possibly?), or a the nozzle(s) for that colour are becoming blocked.

(But what do I know? I refuse to pay the price of a new printer for a colour cartridge for my own printer.)
11-16-2007 at 12:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Thanks bandit and Briareos.

My printer is printing all colours on other documents so I don't think that is the problem.

"(Then again - is that gradient meant to look as in your first image? Looks a bit strange...)" - yes, although in the file I attached (I panicked when I read what you had said and downloaded it from here to check it) there is a kind of "grainyness"(?) which isn't in the original. The colour fades from darkish blue on the right to pale blue on the left and in the original file that is a completely smooth transition - no bands. Does it look strange? - something about them walking towards the Light I thought? . . . . oh well, no matter ;)

"But also - Elfstone, does that software have an option to export the cards as an image" - I don't know, but I'll go and look. You should know me well enough by now to know that I know nothing about the insides of computers, but if I'm given step by (idiot-proof) step instructions by you dear people I can usually work round a problem and sort it. :)

11-16-2007 at 03:31 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Elfstone wrote:
Does it look strange? - something about them walking towards the Light I thought? . . . . oh well, no matter ;)
Nah, I was just not sure... :)

Anyway, as you can see the gradient is also oriented wrong on the scan of your print, so it has to be some software problem.

I don't know, but I'll go and look. You should know me well enough by now to know that I know nothing about the insides of computers, but if I'm given step by (idiot-proof) step instructions by you dear people I can usually work round a problem and sort it. :)
I'm afraid someone else will have to give you step-by-step instructions for printing images under Mac OS X - all I've got here are Windows and Linux... :?

np: Kid606 - King Of Harm (Resilience)

11-16-2007 at 04:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Another request for help ((particularly from those of you who know about Graphics(?) software)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com