Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Using PulseAudio and DROD
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
aztcg7
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
IP: Logged
icon Using PulseAudio and DROD (0)  
I have recently started using PulseAudio, and it's very nice to be able to have such great control over the sound levels for each application. Now, I know that DROD uses ALSA to play music, and pulse has a plugin to interrupt ALSA and instead pipe it through pulse, but I can't get it to work. DROD has no sound, and in fact I can't even cleanly close it anymore. It pegs my CPU until I killall -9 drod-tcb.bin. Has anybody encountered this before?

11-11-2007 at 10:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Using PulseAudio and DROD (+2)  
I don't know what would cause the hang (sounds like a PulseAudio bug since everything works fine with regular ALSA..), but SDL did get support for using PulseAudio directly recently, it's just not used by default. To enable it, make sure the SDL_AUDIODRIVER envvar is set to pulse in the session you launch DROD:
  $ SDL_AUDIODRIVER=pulse drod-tcb
This requires a somewhat recent SDL though, with PulseAudio enabled. I think the SDL included in the latest 3.1.0 full setup should be fine (also attached if you didn't use that, replace libSDL-1.2.so.0 in the Libs dir where you installed DROD), but I'm not 100% sure. Please let me know if it works!

[Last edited by trick at 11-12-2007 10:19 AM]
11-12-2007 at 10:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
aztcg7
icon Re: Using PulseAudio and DROD (0)  
I figured out what was going wrong. In the script that sets the environment variables, it uses the libSDL from the Libs directory, as compared to the one installed by my system. As it turns out, the file from the Libs directory doesn't have any outputs besides ALSA compiled in. Moving the file fixes the problem.

11-16-2007 at 09:38 PM
trick
aztcg7 wrote:
As it turns out, the file from the Libs directory doesn't have any outputs besides ALSA compiled in.
That's not true, it should have support for OSS (dsp/dma), arts and esd as well.

Anyway, did you try the file I attached above? If not, could you do me a favour and please test if that fixes the problem?

11-17-2007 at 07:14 PM
aztcg7
icon Re: Using PulseAudio and DROD (+1)  
Hmm...I am unable to get SDL to pipe through pulse for anything except pulse and ALSA. Using mplayer, I can get pulse to play using ALSA, OSS, and ESD. and using mplayer's sdl output, I can get pulse and ALSA. I'm using libsdl1.2debian-all, so it should be able to at least get OSS, but I can't get it to play.

Regardless, the file above that I downloaded has an ALSA output, which pegs my CPU as I mentioned, and no pulse output, which the library from my system has. I can't say for the other ones, as I can't get them to play regardless of the library.

11-18-2007 at 06:17 AM
trick

File: libSDL-1.2.so.0 (411.1 KB)
Downloaded 39 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Using PulseAudio and DROD (+2)  
So, I finally got around to building an SDL library with pulseaudio support, properly this time (there were some config option hijinks). I'd be very happy if you could verify if the attached file works for you :)

12-04-2007 at 03:12 PM
aztcg7
icon Re: Using PulseAudio and DROD (+1)  
:thumbsup

It works! Thanks for figuring that out.

12-05-2007 at 07:18 AM
trick
Excellent! I'm happy now. Thank you for your help and patience, aztcg7 :)

[Last edited by trick at 12-05-2007 10:47 AM]
12-05-2007 at 10:46 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Using PulseAudio and DROD
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com